prosumer or dSLR?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ahsosl1e8

Sep 18, 2005
i'm in really torn between getting prosumer cams (s9500/fz30) and cheap dSLRs (km5d/d50). I've used a fully mechanical SLR b4 and is real pissed by the weight of lens and tripod i got to bring on trips. I've also used a pns before and is again pissed by the lack of manual functions... these are some considerations:

1) DOF. dSLRs have superior bokeh effects that make pics stand out, esp for portraits. Prosumers with their deep DOF makes portraits look like snapshots. However, the deep DOF become useful for landscape...

2) Lens. I'm fully aware that i most probably got to buy new lens if i get dSLR. I wonder how good is the quality of kit lens (esp for nikon d50). I also doubt i can use my old mechanical nikkor lens on dSLRs. (maybe someone can correct me?). New lens = big bucks. To cover the range provided by prosumers would result in costs in excess of 2000. Haiz... but then again, it makes dSLRs more versatile.

3) Viewfinder vs lcd. I've been real pampered by having and lcd preview on pns cams. Using viewfinder only would mean no one other than me in the family can take a proper pic... which again limits the usability. Also cannot anyhow call people on the street to help take pics

4) Dynamic range. I've heard that dSLRs have superior dynamic range. Can anyone illustrate to me how much more? Would it become a great disadvantage for prosumers?

5) Low light capabilities. I know most prosumers can add flash gun, but high iso is nice to have to obtain natural light. How often would dSLR users go above iso 200? (esp during street/candid and landscape shots)

:sweat:

for prosumer, get the fuji S9500. high ISO feature + hotshoe for flash.

for DSLR, get the KM 5D. the kit lens is :thumbsup:

1) Shallow depth of field is very useful especially in cramped and crowded situations where it is impossible remove distracting background elements by repositioning yourself. Blurring the backgound may be the only way to get a good shot.

2) U can use lenses like the 18-200mms by sigma of tamron. Ok so the picture quality suffers somewhat but unless someone's paying you and expects razor sharp shot the results are quite acceptable.

3) Look on the brightside - DSLRs have an accurate viewfinder and it saves battery life. LCDs drain power and the viewfinders on compacts suffer from parallax error.

4) Well DSLRs retain highlight information better than compacts.

5) I use high ISO very often cos I don't like carrying around tripods. High ISO lets you freeze action shots and/or use small apertures without repying on tripods. Also useful for indoor shots where flash may spoil the atmosphere. Generally I shoot at 200-800 most of the time.

As what Isaiahfortythirtyone has said KM5d (with AS) beats all its class even with its kit lens. Somemore its so cheap $1100+ if u look around.. No point buying Prosumer nowsday IMHO. ;)

No point buying Prosumer nowsday IMHO.

wah really arh? wad about short video clips... dunno if i may use it.

my point of view is that..prosumer is not that cheap..it can price ard $1000+..which you can also get a D50 for $1200 come with kit lens..if you want to have better zoom capability..the sigma or tamron 18-200 is not a bad choice if u do not mind the less superior quality.

battery consumption for prosumer camera is like drinking water..

There is also limitation in the Aperature setting. Depends on which camera you are buying, some of the prosumer camera only offer up to F8.

If you just want to have a good enough camera for some family travel photography or just some snap shot..prosumer is good enough..or else if you are into photography..i strongly suggest u go for a DSLR.

Panasonic FZ30 vs KM 5D!! :lovegrin:

both r gd in their own way... ;)

thx guys...:thumbsup:
i guess i've come to a conclusion - prosumer. Coz i dun have that much time to take photos... its just a hobby. The cost of slr (and their convenience) is not that justifiable.

Fz30 was actually my dream cam, but now heavily rivalled by s9500. Sorry to switch topic here... Do uall think its more worth getting Fz30 + wcon or s9500 (limited telephoto)? I was hoping to get a nice wideangle (28mm or less) and also nice tele (pref pana's 420mm f3.7 than fuji's 300mm f4.9) I'm not looking at samsung's pro 815 :sweat:

get FZ30. read here 4 a more detailed comparison.

http://www.dpreview.com/

i must say both r gd. they're jus diff. take ur time 2 decide wad specifications u find r more important 2 u. not much point 4 me 2 say too much cos my personal preferance may not b d same as urs.

but bear in mind that prosumers like FZ30 and Fujifilm S9000 has got very high noise level..

:think: nikon 8800?? nt bad lei...gt vr summore

ahsosl1e8 said:
thx guys...:thumbsup:
i guess i've come to a conclusion - prosumer. Coz i dun have that much time to take photos... its just a hobby. The cost of slr (and their convenience) is not that justifiable.

Fz30 was actually my dream cam, but now heavily rivalled by s9500. Sorry to switch topic here... Do uall think its more worth getting Fz30 + wcon or s9500 (limited telephoto)? I was hoping to get a nice wideangle (28mm or less) and also nice tele (pref pana's 420mm f3.7 than fuji's 300mm f4.9) I'm not looking at samsung's pro 815 :sweat:

i agree with you that you don't need a dslr to shoot cos its just a hobby ... but really ah ... hobby photography also don't need the latest prosumer cams ... i know a couple of guys who use the older fz10 and fz20 and produce killer images ...don't limit your options to the latest tech ... u may wanna consider getting a 2nd hand good condition and using the savings to get extra memory or a w-con or t-con (if u need the extra wide/range)

seanlim said:
:think: nikon 8800?? nt bad lei...gt vr summore

can be considered. b4 i got my d70, i was weighing it with 8800. its really a good pro-sumer. gd specs... ;)

but at the end of the day... like many clubsnappers out there... the DARK SIDE got the better out of me... ;p

hobby photography also don't need the latest prosumer cams ... i know a couple of guys who use the older fz10 and fz20 and produce killer images ...don't limit your options to the latest tech ... u may wanna consider getting a 2nd hand good condition and using the savings to get extra memory or a w-con or t-con (if u need the extra wide/range)

The previous models got no RAW support. I'm counting on RAW to reduce noise. Nikon 8800 is ex lah... and the writing speed (esp RAW) is sooo slow :confused:

for prosumer, get the fuji S9500. high ISO feature

Btw, a check on fuji's s9500's RAW pics at iso400 reveals that the noise is comparable to fz30. so it just shows that there is heavy duty noise removal done

since you have used an slr b4 and already have old lenses
i'd say go for a dslr

1. Virtually no shutter lag

2. Images writes to the card much faster

3. the dslr can be upgraded (lenses)

4. you don't feel small next to ppl with bigger cameras

5. longer battery life

6. better dynamic range

7. lower noise at high iso

since you have used an slr b4 and already have old lenses

The problem is i dunno if my old lens are compatible with new systems. They are those MF nikkor lens, not the DX or wadever...

you don't feel small next to ppl with bigger cameras

Got ppl chose cam liddat one meh? What if i say i'll feel BIG beside ppl with small cams :bsmilie:

ahsosl1e8 said:
The problem is i dunno if my old lens are compatible with new systems. They are those MF nikkor lens, not the DX or wadever...

Got ppl chose cam liddat one meh? What if i say i'll feel BIG beside ppl with small cams :bsmilie:

bring ur lenses 2 test out. ;)

y not. if u got bilions of $$ u can buy Hubble Space telescope cam! ;p

d sky is not d limit, $$ is! hahaa... :bsmilie:

if still not sure = not time 2 buy yet lor. :think:

u can always wait, n wait till news of newer cams r released! :thumbsup:

Status
Not open for further replies.