Prosumer of DSLR (Sony R1 or 350D)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Right,

I almost made up my mind, when I read an interesting article about that Sony R1 prosumer. I could not get over the positive reviews and started to hesitate. I mainly wanted to start with that canon 350d to start with DSLR in general. I like nice artsy pics. I maintain a site (about malaysia, but in dutch language :D), and want to have some really genuine pictures on it. I am planning to buy the camera here in Holland (The Netherlands) and accept the high costs of the device. I will visit Spore in august, and hope to have mastered the device, so I can buy a new lens over there.

Now again I read all kinds of great reviews about that prosumer Sony R1. Does anyone has some real experiences with this new camera? I read something about it being slightly better then the basic (kit) DSLR's, but is DSLR better in the longterm?

edit: I am prolly blind, since OF should have been OR (the word of is dutch :D)

DSLR is better in the long term, assuming that your budget is able to accomodate the cost of having a full DSLR system (lens, dry cabinets, software for post-processing, etc).

The R1 can produce great looking photos judging from the numerous reviews written, but if you need zooms longer than 5x, you are out of luck in that aspect.

Anyway in the end it all boils down to your budget and needs :D

i definitely know what people will answer for this one. starts with a D.

Dslr would be a better choice in the long term and i've once considered R1 but it's not that good in the long run =)

Thanks for the replies. I must admit that I would prefer a dslr too right now, looking at the possibilies in the near future. But I have to admit that I wouldn't perhaps suggest a dslr to everyone, since in the end it all depends on how the user will utilize his camera. I think I am able to invest, and able to learn the tricks..so dslr it is... :)

The best thing about an SLR is the ability to use different types of lens! :thumbsup:

DikkieD said:
Thanks for the replies. I must admit that I would prefer a dslr too right now, looking at the possibilies in the near future. But I have to admit that I wouldn't perhaps suggest a dslr to everyone, since in the end it all depends on how the user will utilize his camera. I think I am able to invest, and able to learn the tricks..so dslr it is... :)

i think it depends on how deep a persons pocket. just look at me...i don't have a deep pocket, which reflects the equipment im using... :sweat:

metallilan said:
i think it depends on how deep a persons pocket. just look at me...i don't have a deep pocket, which reflects the equipment im using... :sweat:

hahaha tatz y la u mus own ur cam long terms....slowly built ur stuff....
as for me jus stuck w H1 1st for next 2yrs mayb...then can consider dslr :confused:

u shd consider tt reviews can be very subjective

metallilan said:

Can save up for it...i'm also doing the same now.

metallilan said:

i think i can only do that after i come out from NS...and if i save on a regular basis, say...$50 a month?

like that will take forever to save :sweat:

metallilan said:
i think i can only do that after i come out from NS...and if i save on a regular basis, say...$50 a month?

like that will take forever to save :sweat:

I'm also trying to save but must get a job 1st. Then work for a few mths buy either 20D/30D but dunno whether want to upgrade to 430EX or 580EX leh :confused:

DikkieD said:
Right,

I almost made up my mind, when I read an interesting article about that Sony R1 prosumer. I could not get over the positive reviews and started to hesitate.

Why don't somebody here shows DikkieD some bad or unfavorable reviews of the sony DSC-R1? Quite many around right? :bsmilie:

wrx_sti_22b said:
Why don't somebody here shows DikkieD some bad or unfavorable reviews of the sony DSC-R1? Quite many around right? :bsmilie:

I don't think you can find any genuine bad or unfavorable reviews of R1 in terms of lens and image quality. The only kind of bad/unfavorable reviews I seen online are reviews from people who needed an dSLR instead of a prosumer camera and they rant about irrelevant points.

The negative side of the R1 for you (fixed lens) could be the positive points for another (almost zero chance of dust) so it really depends on what you need.

If DikkieD needs a prosumer, R1 is without doubt the king of the pack or at the very least, among the leading pack of prosumers on offer. If DikkieD needs a dSLR, no prosumer can replace a dSLR camera, not at the moment.

But there is one point certainly worth noting is that there are some user reports that certain parts of R1 was not constructed properly leading to adhesion problems on the body after some time of use.

:think: budget always a close factor between DSLR/Prosumer. All boils down to needs but DSLR allows 'growth' of needs such as different lenses, controls etc. Once started, no end to the BBB virus.....

Guys, I guess I made up my mind after reading a tremendous amount of reviews of both devices. When looking at possible upgrades in the near future, I want to learn dslr. When looking at dslr I was looking for the best starting-model. I think I'd do better in buying that canon 350, though the nikon d70s has some advantages. I do have rather big hands, but I held them both in my hands the other day, and I didn't notice that much difference in handling.

I will prolly buy the kitpack here in Holland (though the price is far more higher then here in Spore). I will buy a relevant lens in the near future, when I visit Singapore in august of this year..

Again, thanks alot for all the great support.....

I've had some sony devices for the last couple of years (v1 and dcr-pc105), but both had disadvantages...

time to go into the schoolbanks again :D

Status
Not open for further replies.