Prosumer Digital Cameras 2nd half-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.

rochkoh

Feb 8, 2002
Under your skin
Visit site
Greetings folks,

Given the large number of mails floating around regarding which digital camera to buy, i've decided to create a poll to see, by show of hands, which one you'd choose if given a choice.

My selection criteria: (you may disagree or be constructive and contribute)
1. Prosumer category (with minor exceptions)
2. Cost S$1200-S$2000
3. >=4Mpix

If successful, i might create one every coupla months.. or maybe even for other categories of digital cameras.

thanks for you participation.

enjoy!
rOCh

i'd vote for the G3 now. currently intending to get one. did some checks for 3 cameras in this range...

1) coolpix 5700 (out of stock but last sold at arnd S$1600)
2) sony F717 (currently arnd S$1600)
3) canon G3 (est around $1300-$1400)

was in favor of the 5700 initially coz of the fantastic zoon lens but read reviews that focusing was slow and low light condition shots were horrific. :(

then considered F717 or F707 coz since its around the price range but would consider it a top end of its class :cool:
however the accessories are WAY too ex! the spare batt costs at least S$120, u need at least 2x 128mb memory stick (it came wif onli 32mb) each costing around S$150! add a total of a conservative S$420 even before u get an extra lens n adaptor...~whistle~ :rolleyes:

thus left with canon G3. onli hope the grip has improved (tested my fren's G2). if onli it had ergonomics like the canon coolpix 4500 or 950.... :)

here are my 2 cents..... :D

Good work, rochkoh. :thumbsup:

If you're talking about the $1600 range, then I'd take the E10. It's above the rest of the consumer digicams in terms of handling and quality. And it IS technically a DSLR with a fixed zoom lens, optical TTL viewing, mechanical zoom, hot shoe, full range of accessories, etc. For all it does, and with 4mp, don't really need to consider any others in the $1600 bracket unless form factor is an issue also.

At the $1200 range, go for the G2.

Regards
CK

Maybe voters can add reasons for choosing that particular cam.

Originally posted by Wolfgang

:D YOu really want me to re-state pref to the Fuji S602?:p :devil:

Ops... Maybe with the exception of 602 users. :D

I agree with you ckiang,

Was initially caught in a dilemma on what range of cameras to include in the list. There aren't many cameras in the $1200-$1499 range to be considered prosumer grade, and there're a couple in the $1500-$1799 range that can be. So i decided to combine them both. :)

The E10 was included in the list simply because it fulfilled one/or more of my selection criteria. (The E20 was excluded because it didn't). And it's a GREAT camera. The only thing holding me back from getting it right now: Slow write speed. - and i need it cause i take resonable amounts of sport photography. (Tennis, Golf, Fashion Shows.. ;))

regards,
rOCh

Originally posted by ckiang
If you're talking about the $1600 range, then I'd take the E10. It's above the rest of the consumer digicams in terms of handling and quality. And it IS technically a DSLR with a fixed zoom lens, optical TTL viewing, mechanical zoom, hot shoe, full range of accessories, etc. For all it does, and with 4mp, don't really need to consider any others in the $1600 bracket unless form factor is an issue also.

At the $1200 range, go for the G2.

Regards
CK

I am very surprised at the result of 602z and nikon 5700. :dunno:

not so long ago, i placed a post asking whether I should wait for the G3 & I thot I'd do just that since its not urgent.

now, I am wondering - having just read the reviews of the fuji 602 - & am wondering should I get the G3 or the 602? Any advice given would be appreciated. thanks :)

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
not so long ago, i placed a post asking whether I should wait for the G3 & I thot I'd do just that since its not urgent.

now, I am wondering - having just read the reviews of the fuji 602 - & am wondering should I get the G3 or the 602? Any advice given would be appreciated. thanks :)

*ambles in casually* :cool:

Now, did someone ask which camera to get? ;) :devil:

Originally posted by Wolfgang

Now, did someone ask which camera to get? ;) :devil:

:bsmilie: :bsmilie: :bsmilie:

:embrass: ok lah - i think I should re-phrase my question.

like what one of the earlier posters wrote about why he's decided to get the G3. maybe what I should ask is what edge does the 602 have over the g2/g3?

:embrass: ok lah - i think I should re-phrase my question.

like what one of the earlier posters wrote about why he's decided to get the G3. maybe what I should ask is what edge does the 602 have over the g2/g3?

No lah.. i was just being a tease. :)

Anyhow, regarding the edge the S602 has over G2/G3

Well, i wouldn't know anything abt the G3, since it isn't out yet but i have handled the G2 and these are the advantage of the S602 over the G2 (mind you, i am not saying that the G2 is inferior but these are the advantages)

S602 Advanatge over the G2

1. Zoom 6x
2. AF Speed
3. Dual media
4. 5 fps
5. Uses AA batteries
6. ISO (Up to 1600)
7. Macro focus range (1 cm)
8. Unlimited video rec (limited only by storage)

Originally posted by Horus
the spare batt costs at least S$120
Are you sure the battery costs so much? If the 707 and 717 use the same battery, the one I bought for my 707 was under $100, but then again I don't really see a need for a spare battery unless you're going to some ulu place with no power supply.

Wolfgang

Thanks for replying :)

Well, if image quality from both the G2 and 602 is similar (ie when printed without any computer manipulation), then the factors that are drawing me to the 602 are:

1. AA battery
2. 6x zoom

btw, do u know how much is the 602?

Wolfgang

Thanks for replying :)

Well, if image quality from both the G2 and 602 is similar (ie when printed without any computer manipulation), then the factors that are drawing me to the 602 are:

1. AA battery
2. 6x zoom

btw, do u know how much is the 602?

Cost?

$1200 or there abouts? I am not too sure honestly...

Image quality... hmm... well, there are quite a few S602 users around here. Do a search around or visit my homepage or gallet for some samples. :)

Wolfgang

just seen your gallery. really like the b&w picture of the cat.

one more question - i read somewhere that where b&w pictures are concerned, when using the 602 - you can only take b&w in auto mode. Is this true?

Status
Not open for further replies.