Prosumer Digital Cameras 2nd half-2002

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally posted by lavenderlilz
Wolfgang

just seen your gallery. really like the b&w picture of the cat.

one more question - i read somewhere that where b&w pictures are concerned, when using the 602 - you can only take b&w in auto mode. Is this true?

Due to what i have been advised... take all shots in colour and then convert it to b/w in PS.

As for your question... The answer is yes. Only in the "sp" mode
(you get to choose from night shot, b/w, action, panoramic and portrait modes)

Wolfgang

Well, if image quality from both the G2 and 602 is similar (ie when printed without any computer manipulation ...

Go check out 602z in dpreview. They did a test on the image quality between 602z and g2. Sad to say, assuming their test has been unbiased and accurate, g2 performs better than 602.

Originally posted by Falcon

Go check out 602z in dpreview. They did a test on the image quality between 602z and g2. Sad to say, assuming their test has been unbiased and accurate, g2 performs better than 602.

There is one major flaw in that test, notice that the 602 images are of a different size compared to those from the G2?

A better way to judge would be to just download test images from imaging-resource, resample the 602 output to the same resolution as the reference and sharpen both optimally in PS.

Then compare.

Originally posted by Zerstorer
There is one major flaw in that test, notice that the 602 images are of a different size compared to those from the G2?
A better way to judge would be to just download test images from imaging-resource, resample the 602 output to the same resolution as the reference and sharpen both optimally in PS.
Wouldn't resampling the images defeat the purpose of doing an image comparison in the first place? I think it's only fair to judge camera image quality purely by what comes out of the camera (though of course the S602Z does some internal interpolation of its own due to the nature of its sensor). Just compare 1:1 crops from the two cameras side by side.

Originally posted by Midnight
Wouldn't resampling the images defeat the purpose of doing an image comparison in the first place? I think it's only fair to judge camera image quality purely by what comes out of the camera (though of course the S602Z does some internal interpolation of its own due to the nature of its sensor). Just compare 1:1 crops from the two cameras side by side.

You got to understand how the SuperCCD works. Downsampling the 6MP pics to 4MP would give a better comparison against the G2 because the 6MP pics are optimised for printing, not viewing at 1:1 on screen. The fairer and unbiased test would be to print the pics on a good printer and compare the output.

Anyway, when you compare the resolution charts, the 602 contains as much details as the G2 or the Olympus C4040.

i c - do excuse my ignorance but i went to www1.photosig.com to view photos taken by both the G2 and 602 and it seems to appear to me that the colours of most of the photos taken by the G2 seems to be brighter/richer and more vibrant than that of the photos taken by 602.

So, is it true to say that the colour of the same image taken by different digital cameras would vary (-I am going on the basis that there is no manipulation by computer)?

:dunno:

i c - do excuse my ignorance but i went to www1.photosig.com to view photos taken by both the G2 and 602 and it seems to appear to me that the colours of most of the photos taken by the G2 seems to be brighter/richer and more vibrant than that of the photos taken by 602.

So, is it true to say that the colour of the same image taken by different digital cameras would vary (-I am going on the basis that there is no manipulation by computer)?

:dunno:

Based on many comparison test photos that I have seen from the internet (inclding Japanese camera/photo sites), I can conclude that Canon DCs tend to give more vibrant and richer colours, while Nikon's images are more 'real', natural and sharper in colour tone. The Fuji one is also more on the 'natural' side, but this is no big deal. There is something call Photo-editing, why do you install photo-processing software for?

One of the site that I can recall (if you can read Japanese):

http://kazutoku.sunnyday.jp/macro/

Verre Vrai, the thing is - I haven't bought a computer yet :bsmilie:

well whether is it the G2/3 or 602 - i think i would get it towards the end of November - got to save abit for it first. It appears the the 602 is really feature rich - like the long zoom, AA batteries and iso 1600 - these are the factors that are drawing me to it. The 602 just sounds like its really really good value for money.

But i really love the colours that i see in the images of the G2.

Tough right? :dent:

well whether is it the G2/3 or 602 - i think i would get it towards the end of November - got to save abit for it first. It appears the the 602 is really feature rich - like the long zoom, AA batteries and iso 1600 - these are the factors that are drawing me to it. The 602 just sounds like its really really good value for money.

LOL.... No it isn't :D

*whispers* You know you want the S602.... ;)

Headache rite? I am thinking a different one everyday. :D

Falcon - i know that feeling. used to wonder if i did the right thing buying the nikon F80 instead of the eos 30/33. Only stopped agonising after i helped a friend take his rom pictures.

now - this!!!!!!!!!!! urghhhhhhhhhhhhh

Wolfgang - very noti of u :bsmilie:

Falcon - i know that feeling. used to wonder if i did the right thing buying the nikon F80 instead of the eos 30/33. Only stopped agonising after i helped a friend take his rom pictures.

:devil:

Don't miss out the new f1.8 C5050, the egg's gonna hatch pretty soon. :p

Great! Now I have someone in the same situation as me. :gbounce:

Originally posted by togu
Don't miss out the new f1.8 C5050, the egg's gonna hatch pretty soon. :p

Togu, have u found a solution to increase the focal length of E-10 without purchasing the very expensive 3x teleconvertor? :)

so Falcon - which 2 (or more :p) cameras are u agonising over?

by the way, how do u guys use the quote mode? i am lost there

Yes, grab a copy of those PRO Definition 2X teleconverters from ebay. :(

Personally I won't do that. :p

And I won't get the Olympus 3x teleconverter either, it's like walking along Orchard road with a LAW . Guess the most I'll get is the 1.45x TC. :cry:

so Falcon - which 2 (or more :p) cameras are u agonising over?

by the way, how do u guys use the quote mode? i am lost there

Not many, just Fuji 602z, oly E-10, nikon 5700, minolta dimage 7i/7hi. sony 717. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.