Prosumer Camera

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ghuka

May 3, 2007
Hi,

I am considering moving from compacts to a prosumer camera. Any recommendations? An indication of its price will be helpful too. Thanks.

Normally the seniors will prefer you to list out the features you want in your prosumer and the budget you have in mind. From there they can give better advise ;) .

I newbie :sweat: also. But I have two prosumers (dimage A1 and A2). Simply love them... Hope someday can upgrade to DSLR.

For prosumers, I can throw you a list of the current ones:

1) Panasonic FZ8
-good lens, Leica
-not so good processor
-Panasonic used to have high ISO problems - no noise, but no detail; not sure if this has been changed in the FZ8
-good IS technology, best out there apparently

2) Canon S3 IS/S5 IS
-all rounder
-tilt LCD is a plus for some people
-macro focusing ability to 0 cm, apparently

3) Sony H2/5/7/9
-not so sure about 7/9 but H2/5 obtain focus really fast
-good IS
-relatively good noise performance - decent balance between keeping details and noise control
-digital zoom, while not perfect, is better than most if required

4) Fujifilm 6500fd/9600
-wide angle 28mm equivalent, only prosumer other than Olympus with that
-good noise control, best of the lot, typical of Fujifilm - especially for 6500fd, it uses F30 sensor or something like that
-no IS though, telephoto will be problematic unless you are Mr Steady Hands

There's also Panny FZXX series, I guess. Why don't you read up on camera reviews and go to the more reliable shops which will give you relatively ok prices? Alternatively, if price is a serious issue, get second hand. There are people who sell when the camera still under warranty at bargain prices, or at least slightly below par for new.. I sold my H2 when it still had quite a number of months of warranty left. =)

I recommend the new Canon S5 IS. Got 12x zoom, image stabilization, and hotshoe for external flash.

I recommend the new Canon S5 IS. Got 12x zoom, image stabilization, and hotshoe for external flash.

Then I suggest the Sony H9. Got 15x zoom, image stabilization, tilt LCD, powerful flash, NightShot mode (concept kinda like military infrared, you can take pictures in total darkness).

The Canon S5IS, other than the flash hotshoe, is a disappointment to me.

Normally the seniors will prefer you to list out the features you want in your prosumer and the budget you have in mind. From there they can give better advise ;) .

A great thank you to all who gave some recommendations/ 'reviews'.

I currently own a Canon A40 and Nikon Coolpix S7c. I am considering picking photography as a hobby and after some reading, decided to start off with a prosumer camera vs a DSLR due to my weakness for accessories (I may break the bank and leave the hobby after a year or so).

Correct me if I am wrong but a 2nd hand DSLR will be in the price range of a new prosumer camera and I am giving myself a budget of between $500 to $1K. Of course if I can find a cheaper camera to meet my needs the better.

I will be mostly into protraits but will like to take some nice scenery during my travels. I am an amatuer at best and would like to have a camera that does not demand too much of a learning curve.

To end the note, I will consider some of your recommendations when I make my purchase decision.

Do note that the Canon S5 IS is around the corner. Canon has added a flash hotshoe onto the S2 series.

if you need smth solid, the panasonic fz50 or fujifilm s9600 will suffice. sony has ceased the production of the r1, so too bad.

You have the same concern as me a few months back when I was deciding btw a prosumer or a DSLR. In the end opted to get a FZ50 prosumer due to the following reasons:

- Cheaper than DSLR
- Handles like DSLR (weight, body, feel)
- Manual focus ring and zoom ring
- Turnable LCD screen
- Hotshoe for external flash

This cam will allow me to learn the basics in photography and give me an idea on what I need before I rush into upgrading to a DSLR in ~ 1 yr time.

I would rather you to get perhaps a D40 then getting a prosumer camera. If you want to stay on as a 'prosumer', then don't change the lens just kit lens all the way.
Tat's the best 'prosumer camera' already.

Get a D40 as it is a great camera, which is a step higher than a prosumer, and it is also a DSLR when you feel like upgrading(just add lenses in this case!)!

I would rather you to get perhaps a D40 then getting a prosumer camera. If you want to stay on as a 'prosumer', then don't change the lens just kit lens all the way.

Get a D40 as it is a great camera, which is a step higher than a prosumer, and it is also a DSLR when you feel like upgrading(just add lenses in this case!)!

Not recommended.

Honestly, while not taking off the lens might MINIMIZE maintenance problems like DUST, among the many other things you should be doing for your DSLR.. They still happen.

Unless he really has issues with needing low noise for high ISO settings, prosumers should do, imho.

Get a D40 as it is a great camera, which is a step higher than a prosumer, and it is also a DSLR when you feel like upgrading(just add lenses in this case!)! I would rather you to get perhaps a D40 then getting a prosumer camera. If you want to stay on as a 'prosumer', then don't change the lens just kit lens all the way.

just my opinion. i can be wrong. not to flame anyone. :)

a dSLR using just the kit lense can't do much stuff. if the user do not need the quality of output from a dSLR, a gd prosumer can do much much more things at that price tag. many prosumers offer those tiltable lcd, imho, very good for creative shooting, something a dSLR cannot offer. prosumer zoom ranges are also usually higher than ur kit lense. go check out the specs and the diff in capabilities are obvious. somemore almost all prosumer got video recording (i would have bought Sony-R1 if it have this feature).

if $$$ is a problem, i always advise ppl to just go get a gd prosumer. if u have the $$$ and think u can handle a dSLR, by all means dSLR.

hi just to share some minor thoughts, for starter with a limited budget like me. I decided to go for a prosumer (2nd hand) first.

With a prosumer, I start to recollect back the basic knowledge of DOF, aperature, flash and many many more (with the help from some CS seniors, thanks guys!).

Personally, I think its better to buy a prosumer with mechanical zoom funtion (eg, fuji9600, Lumix, and my dimage A1 and A2 :D ). With a mechancial zoom you can play and experiment a lot with manual focus (DOF shots) which is fun.

Personally, I've no bias towards either side (DSLR or Prosumer) as myself use both types depending on occasion :think:

What I like to share here are the few primary differences between DSLR & Prosumer cam:

1) Size: Prosumer smaller; DSLR always bulkier, even with the kit lens will still add up to some length; the weight maybe similar.

2) Shutter-Lag: DSLR faster; even the fastest prosumer cam
has some lag, hence not good in catching split-second moments.

3) Digital-Noise: DSLR lower; very few prosumer camera really did a good job on this (though Canon & Fujifilm are close).

4) Versatility: DSLR better; both firmware & lens upgradable.

5) Public-aceptance: Prosumer better; most people don't mind taken by compact-size camera but will shy away from big/pro-looking gears.

My 5cents :)

Personally, I've no bias towards either side (DSLR or Prosumer) as myself use both types depending on occasion :think:

Just my own comments on your post:

2) Shutter-Lag: DSLR faster; even the fastest prosumer cam
has some lag, hence not good in catching split-second moments.

Even the old Sony V3 had a shutter-lag of <0.1 seconds, DSLR-speed in a small prosumer body.

3) Digital-Noise: DSLR lower; very few prosumer camera really did a good job on this (though Canon & Fujifilm are close).

Canon? No. Their G-series and S-series prosumer/bridge cameras have about the same noise as Sony and Nikon. Fuji did a great job with their SuperCCD though.

5) Public-aceptance: Prosumer better; most people don't mind taken by compact-size camera but will shy away from big/pro-looking gears.

Actually, if you have a small cam they'll think you're a tourist/perv. They're more likely to be ok with "pro-looking" people, thinking your shots will always be decent.

If you're into protraits and scenery. I would suggest a low end DSLR. D40X or 400D.
Their kit lens should be sufficient for your needs.

The price of a low end DSLR is about 1k+ or so.

I have both DSLR and prosumer and I still bring the prosumer out to shoot scenery. I only use the prosumer if I need to reach far away. Prosumer is good for cheap tele.

Status
Not open for further replies.