Prosumer Camera Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

antere

Dec 16, 2002
North Eastern end of SG
Visit site
Hi there. I'm a little confused with the prosumer cams' features with non prosumer cams' features.

For example, the features on cameras like Canon G2/3/5 are rather similar to those of Minolta Z1 and Fuji's S5000(no hotshoe though). Do we consider the Z1 or S5000 prosumer cams as well?

Hope for some advice on this. Thanks. :)

mayb we can categorise it easier this way...
P&S, point & shoot, no manual function
Prosumer, Manual function, almost DSLR like (cannot change lens)
DSLR, no need 2 describe already.

i think this are the basic 3 groups. only thing is the Prosumer category seem very vague. like A80 can also categorise as Prosumer, cos it have manual function.

Prosumer cams will generally provide higher degree of
control and expandability. External hotshoe should be
one of them. Fuji S7000 and Minolta A1 are considered
prosumer. However there isn't clear separation between
prosumer and consumer, oly 750uz gives you almost
everything you need on a prosumer cam.

Actually, I am not really sure where your question is going - it's a matter of classification and point of view which may vary from manufacturer to manufacturer and may vary amongst photographers.

For me, I would consider cameras with full creative options i.e. Manual/Aperture,Shutter Priority/P with controls like White Balance, metering options, some degree of manual focusing as prosumer.

Availability of hotshoe is debatable but I would consider it a must (I don't think Canon considers their A series as prosumer).

Thanks for all your response. I guess it's right to say that there's no clear line on this. Well, was just curious about the classification of different cams. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.