Prosumer Advise needed

Status
Not open for further replies.
contacted said:
Hi Guys,

Do apologise that if this kind of related thread has been posted before. :embrass:

Here goes, I currently own a Ixus 300 and wish to upgrade. I thought over the areas of Prosumer and dSLR. I was prepared to invest into dSLR but after serious consideration, I gave up the idea.

So I'm currently shopping around for a Prosumer, need some reccomendations. What are the best rated Prosumers around the range of 1K. Quite interested in the Canon PowerShot G5, anything around that price range but offer better 'specs' or 'functions'?

Appreciate any advise given ;p

canon g5 is your best choice, and it comes with a battery that lasts a LONG time (btw, short battery life was my pet peeve with the ixus 300 which i had previously owned). in fact, you may love it so much that you won't want to upgrade any more. :cool:

Belle&Sebastain said:
i saw a new displayed set at carrefour suntex two weeks going for $999.

thats a cool price, most probably would be including GST right?

the quotes I've received so far were all slightly above 1K but with a 256MB CF Card and Air Purifier thingy... Does the one at Suntec come with the same deal? :what:

contacted said:
thats a cool price, most probably would be including GST right?

the quotes I've received so far were all slightly above 1K but with a 256MB CF Card and Air Purifier thingy... Does the one at Suntec come with the same deal? :what:

it should, Carrefour should be an offical distributor. but you better take a look first!

hi contacted...

hmm...I realise I'm a bit late into this thread, but my 2 cents worth..

I was using a Canon A70 (ok am still using, as a secondary compact) and while shooting, I chanced upon the Av, Tv and M modes.... Opened up a whole new world...

Then cos of that, i decided to get a film SLR... which was fun too.. cos i noticed that now with an SLR, pictures were crisper and I had even more creative control over the photographic process.

However, as fun as it was, I faced the problem of not being totally able to learn from what I shot.. cos by the time I got the shots back from the lab, even though i wrote down the Ap Values & Shutter Speeds, just cannot reconcile.. cos the shot was taken maybe a week or even a month ago... So if it was nice, good if not, also cannot remember why it didnt turn out so nice.

So, while i was kinda "horlanded" in this worlds of Film SLR, my uncle got the 300D... And he told me that it helps your learning a lot... Cos you get to see the shots immediately. Also, you have versatility in your lenses, filters, flashes etc...

Granted, Prosumers probably can take the same kinda photos, but you have to deal with the problems of shutter lag, camera shake (not that DSLR doesnt have, but cos prosumer bodies tend to be smaller and hence less stable) etc etc...

Yep so after this whole grammada story, my advice to you is that if youre prepared to be in the hobby for the long haul, and would like to explore the possibility of taking better landscape/portrait and even other genres, DSLR is the way to go.

Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but I think its money well spent. In the worst case, be like me and look for someone whos willing to sell 2nd or even 3rd hand ( of course in acceptable condition la). You will have control over how much you spend in terms of lenses, flashes, tripods and eventually filters. Of course, the lure of the magical L will always be there.=)

Yep... so like the rest said, give it some time and thought.. who knows, mebbe in a few months time, Canon or Nikon suddenly throw one spanner and sell the first DSLR for under S$1000!! haha...

Ok ok... just me hoping.. :bsmilie:

oh ya...

Btw, Ive had my D30 for a month of so and I've only gotten 1x 1GB CF Card, 1x 420EX Flash and 1x Safrotto 30l bag..

Itching to get more, but managing to control more or less.

hey drummercrow,

really appreciate your long 'essay', real nice of ya

anyway i'm just casually waiting for a good deal on the G5. Just hope I got enough patience to wait till end of the year for any computer shows or christmas specials... ;p

drummercow said:
hi contacted...

hmm...I realise I'm a bit late into this thread, but my 2 cents worth..

I was using a Canon A70 (ok am still using, as a secondary compact) and while shooting, I chanced upon the Av, Tv and M modes.... Opened up a whole new world...

Then cos of that, i decided to get a film SLR... which was fun too.. cos i noticed that now with an SLR, pictures were crisper and I had even more creative control over the photographic process.

However, as fun as it was, I faced the problem of not being totally able to learn from what I shot.. cos by the time I got the shots back from the lab, even though i wrote down the Ap Values & Shutter Speeds, just cannot reconcile.. cos the shot was taken maybe a week or even a month ago... So if it was nice, good if not, also cannot remember why it didnt turn out so nice.

So, while i was kinda "horlanded" in this worlds of Film SLR, my uncle got the 300D... And he told me that it helps your learning a lot... Cos you get to see the shots immediately. Also, you have versatility in your lenses, filters, flashes etc...

Granted, Prosumers probably can take the same kinda photos, but you have to deal with the problems of shutter lag, camera shake (not that DSLR doesnt have, but cos prosumer bodies tend to be smaller and hence less stable) etc etc...

Yep so after this whole grammada story, my advice to you is that if youre prepared to be in the hobby for the long haul, and would like to explore the possibility of taking better landscape/portrait and even other genres, DSLR is the way to go.

Sure, it'll cost a bit more, but I think its money well spent. In the worst case, be like me and look for someone whos willing to sell 2nd or even 3rd hand ( of course in acceptable condition la). You will have control over how much you spend in terms of lenses, flashes, tripods and eventually filters. Of course, the lure of the magical L will always be there.=)

Yep... so like the rest said, give it some time and thought.. who knows, mebbe in a few months time, Canon or Nikon suddenly throw one spanner and sell the first DSLR for under S$1000!! haha...

Ok ok... just me hoping.. :bsmilie:

A friend came back from EU with many beautiful photos taken by Canon G5 which I reconmended. :thumbsup:

now abit :confused:

should i buy new G5 or a 2nd hand for about the same price but with quite a few accessories, like lenses and filters?

contacted said:
Indeed my heart says G5...now waiting for some quotations to come back to me for the best deal.

have u Consider Finepix S5000, S20pro, or S7000....those r prosumer camera...u can get them 1.2k and below....

The powershot S1 IS is another good choice for learning.. it has full manual functions plus manual forcus too. At the price less then 800.. ;)

contacted said:

should i buy new G5 or a 2nd hand for about the same price but with quite a few accessories, like lenses and filters?

why not? but i reckon you don't need the bulkly extra lenses most of the time. but see if it suits you!

contacted said:

get 2nd hand... cheaper and repair dun cost much.

nakedtoes said:
The powershot S1 IS is another good choice for learning.. it has full manual functions plus manual forcus too. At the price less then 800.. ;)

Haha yah...

The ad looks quite nice... wonder about the camera though..=) IS technology siah! haha

:thumbsup: Finally I got my hands on the G5...

Testing it out now.

Status
Not open for further replies.