Pros and Cons of AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED

The Hulk

Oct 8, 2009
Hey guys, I need to advice from users of AF-S NIKKOR 14-24mm f/2.8G ED. For instance I have read or saw youtube reviews that say it is lousy with flares or that it handles flares very well. :dunno:

I own a D300s and need an ultra wide lens for low light, but after the reviews i saw, I'm confused. So I prefer to hear for the horse's mouth. (I am not calling you all horses ah,lol just a phrase)

If ur using a DX, get the 11-16mm f2.8 instead... It's much less expensive and wider and gives you f2.8 too.

unless you intend to move to FX.. then makes sense to own one of these ultra wide angle zoom.

but if you have the budget, go for it. :bsmilie:

Some explanation from here: http://mansurovs.com/nikon-14-24mm-f2-8-review
7) Shooting against the sun will almost always result in some flares and ghosting, which is normal. I got a little surprised to see that the Nikon 14-24mm had some flaring issues in pictures even with no sun in the frame, which only happens at widest focal lengths close to 14mm, when the front element is extended out. You have to be a little careful when shooting at 14mm and watch for flares, because they might show up in your images when you least expect them.

IMHO 14-24/2.8 is a big waste on APS-C sensor cameras. For real ultra wide work the tokina 11-16/2.8 is the one to go for.

It is expensive, heavy and the bulging front element makes it hard to use filters. On a crop factor camera, there are just so many better options to get the same focal length.

Last edited:
For cropped sensors, Tokina 11-16mm is one of the favorites. Other than that, there is Sigma 10-20mm which I think you can consider too. There are also the 12-24mm lenses but not as wide as the mentioned Tokina and Sigma lenses. For cropped sensors, every single mm counts.

I always have this thinking that 14-24mm from nikon is the widest FX lens. Then I saw the sigma 12-24mm, which initially I thought it's a DC lens. After looking through the specs, it is a DG lens which is meant for fullframe!

However, there's not many good reviews on this lens compare to big names like Tokina, Nikon and Sigma's own 10-20mm. I was wondering what do I stand to lose if I were to switch to 12-24mm when i use this lens on FX camera, besides the F/2.8, for the gain of the additional 2mm in the wide end. If the result is decent, I would want to replace my last DX lens with this ^^"

Cowseye said:
I always have this thinking that 14-24mm from nikon is the widest FX lens. Then I saw the sigma 12-24mm, which initially I thought it's a DC lens. After looking through the specs, it is a DG lens which is meant for fullframe!

However, there's not many good reviews on this lens compare to big names like Tokina, Nikon and Sigma's own 10-20mm. I was wondering what do I stand to lose if I were to switch to 12-24mm when i use this lens on FX camera, besides the F/2.8, for the gain of the additional 2mm in the wide end. If the result is decent, I would want to replace my last DX lens with this ^^"

Sigma has announced a new version of the 12-24. The current first version has sone serious iq issues due to the extremely wide fov. So wait for the new one to arrive.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Now I'm thinking if i want to go FX in the near future or not. Looks like the Tokina 11- 16mm 2.8 is a good choice for Cropped sensor. As I'll only get 21mm for the 14-24 mm on a d300s.

Thanks for the input so far guys. Now I'm thinking if i want to go FX in the near future or not. Looks like the Tokina 11- 16mm 2.8 is a good choice for Cropped sensor. As I'll only get 21mm for the 14-24 mm on a d300s.

Your choices quite plentiful for cropped sensor cam:
Tokina 11-16
Tokina 12-24
Tamrom 10-24
Sigma 10-20 (2 versions)
Nikkor 10-24
Nikkor 12-24

Yeah do think about whether you intend to get an FX camera in the near future :)
As far as I know, both the Tokinas are useable on an FX camera (without vignetting) at certain focal lengths.

I believe the Buy and Section in Clubsnap will help solve your dilemma of getting a good uwa lens for your D300s with the possibility of getting a FX body in the future.

moved to Nikon

IMHO 14-24/2.8 is a big waste on APS-C sensor cameras. For real ultra wide work the tokina 11-16/2.8 is the one to go for.

It is expensive, heavy and the bulging front element makes it hard to use filters. On a crop factor camera, there are just so many better options to get the same focal length.

I read from kenrockwell that tokina 11-16 is a good lens but just want to ask that such lens are mostly used for landscapes right? Sorry to ask this noob question as i have never use such lens before.

I read from kenrockwell that tokina 11-16 is a good lens but just want to ask that such lens are mostly used for landscapes right? Sorry to ask this noob question as i have never use such lens before.

You are right....

If you're asking about observed use, then yes I would say a lot of people use this lens for landscape photography.
BUT nowhere does it state (on the literature about this lens) that it is a landscape lens ;p
Just bear that in mind.

If you're asking about observed use, then yes I would say a lot of people use this lens for landscape photography.
BUT nowhere does it state (on the literature about this lens) that it is a landscape lens ;p
Just bear that in mind.

Haha, a good reply. Thanks. Because HKD exchange rate now is quite attractive to get that lens now.

Haha, a good reply. Thanks. Because HKD exchange rate now is quite attractive to get that lens now.

Have you used such an ultra-wide angle lens before? Obviously you haven't bought it, but have you tried it out, say... on a friend's camera? Not necessarily the 11-16 but a lens with similar focal length.

You can see for yourself what folks use the lens for.... not just landscapes..

http://www.flickr.com/search/?q=Tokina%2011-16

Which UWA replaced your 11-16mm, if any?

This one...

29069_Samyang_14mmII-5.jpg