Proposal: Year 2003 China Trips to Silk Road (May-Jun) and Tibet (Sep-Oct)

Status
Not open for further replies.

tomshen

Feb 20, 2002
Singapore
Dear all,

After a meeting with PentiumPC, his friends (Mr. Ong Boon Kok), and Beachbum tonight, I have reinforced my determination for the above two trips in China in this year. I was very impressed with the pictures taken by Boon Kok in Tibet, but I believe nothing can compare with a real trip accomplished by myself. Feel like to depart tomorrow.:) Here I am proposing two trips to China as Silk Road (May-Jun) and Tibet (Sep-Oct). I welcome anyone who is REALLY keen to join me and witness something different. I do NOT encourage you to go, coz both trips may not follow easy routines, unless you can convine yourself with your own desires!!! At this stage, nothing is confirmed, including time and budget. I will start doing some reseach on relavent issues and, meanwhile, welcome those who are interested to discuss it freely. You can join either one as they are separate. My some initial thinking is here:

1a) Silk road: Fly from Singapore to Shanghai, visit my hometown (Nanjing), take a train to Xi An (the capital of many acient dynasties). Backpacking all the way, main transportation is by train, travelling from central China to the northwest (like Dun Huang, Qing Hai) and reach Xing Jiang. Take flight back to Shang Hai, u can do some shopping and city tour in Shanghai and fly back to Singapore.

1b) Silk road: You still follow the routine of 1a). I will take a flight via Hong Kong to Nanjing. Meet me in Nanjing and the rest is the same. I have visited Shanghai for too many times so I will not follow you there but spend some days in Hong Kong.

1c) Silk road: In case we don't have enough time, and also we want to spend more time on the silk road, we will fly directly to Xi An or another city near it. But you cannot visit Shanghai and Nanjing.

Budget for Silk road: max S$4~5k and 20 days.

2) Tibet: Fly from Singapore to Chendu, rent jeeps and drive all the way to Lasa (about 9 days). We can shoot wherever we want to along the road. From Lasa to the some great view mountain. Details will be discussed later. Budget: max USD3000 and 3 weeks.

Now, the door is open to you. Please make your hard decision and prepare your money and holidays. Let's do it!

Regards,
Tom

20 days? how many gigs of mem should we prepare then?

We actually had a Storage Truck to store images.... :)

It up to you, you can bring a X-drive to store your images...

Originally posted by Goldmember

Or shooting film. I will shoot both. 10~20GB image tank + 30 rolls of slide/negative films.

What's the dates like? I'm considering to go Tibet the somewhere in May/June, as I won't be able to make it at other times, due to other commitments.

Originally posted by chongkm
What's the dates like? I'm considering to go Tibet the somewhere in May/June, as I won't be able to make it at other times, due to other commitments.
Your suggestion can be another option. As I said, nothing is confirmed right now. Let's invite more pple and see how to settle the schdule. BTW, if May-June for Tibet is off, will u consider to go the Silk Road, which is another wonderful alternative.

i've always wanted to go Silk Road for photogy but from the looks of things, earliest i can go is year end... oh well, there'll be other chances (i hope)

Originally posted by Larry
i've always wanted to go Silk Road for photogy but from the looks of things, earliest i can go is year end... oh well, there'll be other chances (i hope)

Sorry Tomshen, the duration for the silkRoad trip is too long......

Larry, seem to me year end will be more ideal...
by the time I should have completed my studies.
Have more free time then.....
Larry interested?

Sorry Tomshen for the Banal talk.... :D

Originally posted by Goldmember

i think storage is a lesser problem compared to how many days we've got. Poor me only got 24 days for the rest of this year (inclusive of 3 days carried forward from last year)! :cry:

Originally posted by scanner
Larry, seem to me year end will be more ideal...
by the time I should have completed my studies.
Have more free time then.....
Larry interested?
sure... i definitely interested... there's no way i can take any kind of long-term leave until after 3rd quarter anyway... we can discuss further later i guess. :D

Originally posted by lavenderlilz

i think storage is a lesser problem compared to how many days we've got. Poor me only got 24 days for the rest of this year (inclusive of 3 days carried forward from last year)! :cry:

But if you go for 20 days , you probably only need to take about 14-15 days of leave aye? Got Saturdays and Sundays to help.

Depend on which trip. For the Silk Road one, I can plan a preliminary 2-week schedule on the silk road and another one week up to yourself. For myself I also need to spend some days with my family, otherwise my mom will complain again.:)

I have been saving my holidays since last year. I got up to 40days and properly can borrow another few days of the next year through negotiating with my boss. :bsmilie:

Anyway, let's build a list first:

1. tomshen, Silk Road (maybe bring one more friend) and Tibet (alone), no time constraint.

pls add yours to show your interest. It's all right if u decide not going at a later time. Just let me figure out how many pple roughly first. Pls keep this thread on topic and reduce banal talk. Scanner: your talk is not considered as banal talk btw.

It's quite likely to end up with a small budget if all of us are interested in backpacking. I was often told by my friends how cheaply someone spent aften a one month extended trip. It's all about how to schedule and how comfortablely you expect.

Tomshen

I would be interested :

1. if the duration isn't so long (unless i can get no pay leave for the whole month of June 2003) then this wouldn't be a problem anymore; and

2. I can afford the final cost of the trip.

I don't think so. My intention is to visit Tibet this year, and May/June is the best time to do so. I can visit Silk Road, China or somewhere else end of the year.

To what I know, you cannot get into Tibet without a tour group. Visas and travel passes would be problematic, but once you're in, you can extend your stay there. My friend was there for 1 month (3 weeks guided, 1week extension), via Kathmandu(Nepal) and she spent about USD$2000.

Well, that's my intention. The more people going, the cheaper it is.

Originally posted by tomshen

Your suggestion can be another option. As I said, nothing is confirmed right now. Let's invite more pple and see how to settle the schdule. BTW, if May-June for Tibet is off, will u consider to go the Silk Road, which is another wonderful alternative.

:gbounce:

pls build the list if u have a remote wish, and state your preferred time. Dun worry about the budget, I am not rich and also want to travel cheaply. Dun let this issue bother you too much.

1. tomshen (silk road: May-Jun; Tibet: Sep-Oct);

pls build the list if u have a remote wish, and state your preferred time. Dun worry about the budget, I am not rich and also want to travel cheaply. Dun let this issue bother you too much.

1. tomshen (silk road: May-Jun; Tibet: Sep-Oct);
2. PentiumPC (as above)

TomShen:
I just spoke to Boon Kok he is okay and quite keen to go on both trip and Ma, The guy that organise their last trip is not in town, Boon Kok will try to contact him later to see if he is interested.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.