Prophoto RGB color space

Status
Not open for further replies.

lunas

Dec 19, 2006
Singapore
Anyone care to share why is the Prophoto RGB color is so Dull...? I thought this type of color space can retain the most color?

How do I have a more vibrant color like RGB ?

Thank you ;)

1490771736_0bb2ac729b.jpg

Prophoto is definitely a larger colour space that can show more saturated colours, but only if those colours are there in the photo.Also saturated colours may not show up on your screen if your monitor color space isn't large enough to display it.
In general for any image, a larger colour space does not automatically equal more vibrant colours.

At first glance, the colours in your pictures are actually very bright and saturated already. The main reasons for the dull colours are,
1. The subject is slighty underexposed.
2. The colour balance is off, there's a blue cast across the entire photo. Could be due to the filter being used, wrong white balance or simply result of the post processing.

I tried removing the blue cast and the result is the second photo (right) below. Compare with the original photo (left)and you can see that the blue cast was interfering with the skintones and shirt colours.

Original
Edit 1
Edit1.jpg

However, by over-correcting, we lose the blue sky in the background, so I tried a rough selective correction for the skin tone and shirt as shown below.

Original
Edit 2
Edit2.jpg

Anyone care to share why is the Prophoto RGB color is so Dull...?
Well, the image that you uploaded is not ProPhoto RGB. It has no embedded profile. In fact, even if the picture did have an embedded profile, most browsers would ignore that and display image using a monitor profile.

I thought this type of color space can retain the most color?
Yes it certainly does have a wide gamut.

How do I have a more vibrant color like RGB ?
Well, that depends on how you've got that image. Did you edit the original picture in PS using ProPhoto RGB as a working profile? Did the colours look vibrant and saturated in PS? If so, how did you export into JPEG?

P.S. Don't fool yourself by thinking that editing in ProPhoto RGB would make images on LCD monitor more colourful. The fact is the colour gamut of LCD panel is limited by its physical characteristics. 99.9% of all monitors and 100% of all consumer LCD panels CANNOT display colours beyond sRGB gamut. Unless you've got a multi-thousand-dollar wide gamut panel (Eizo CG241W, CG221, or NEC LCD2180WG-LED, which can barely show AdobeRGB gamut), you CANNOT see those extra colours provided by AdobeRGB and ProPhoto, on your monitor.

Prophoto is definitely a larger colour space that can show more saturated colours, but only if those colours are there in the photo.Also saturated colours may not show up on your screen if your monitor color space isn't large enough to display it.
In general for any image, a larger colour space does not automatically equal more vibrant colours.

At first glance, the colours in your pictures are actually very bright and saturated already. The main reasons for the dull colours are,
1. The subject is slighty underexposed.
2. The colour balance is off, there's a blue cast across the entire photo. Could be due to the filter being used, wrong white balance or simply result of the post processing.

I tried removing the blue cast and the result is the second photo (right) below. Compare with the original photo (left)and you can see that the blue cast was interfering with the skintones and shirt colours.

Edit 1
Edit1.jpg

However, by over-correcting, we lose the blue sky in the background, so I tried a rough selective correction for the skin tone and shirt as shown below.

Edit 2
Edit2.jpg

Hi Prismatic, Yup that is the result I am looking at...However when I convert to RGB...The image turn out to be something similar to Edit 1. Why is this so?

Hi Prismatic, Yup that is the result I am looking at...However when I convert to RGB...The image turn out to be something similar to Edit 1. Why is this so?
Do you see that colour shift in Photoshop immediately after conversion? Or does it look the same in PS, but changes colour in browser? Can you clarify a little bit?

If an image becomes less saturated in PS immediately after profile conversion from ProPhoto RGB to sRGB, then intent is to blame. Make sure that the Relative Colorimetric intent is selected when doing the profile conversion. Other intents may compress gamut (desaturate image), and therefore should be avoided.

Status
Not open for further replies.