Property rental question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gymrat76

May 10, 2004
Just wanna know, if I rent an apartment, fully furnished, who pays for repairs of broken down equipment such as fridges, washing machines etc? The way I understand it, the tenant generally replaces, at his own cost, small things like light bulbs etc and the landlord will have to bear the cost of big repair jobs etc? Thanks!

Yep,

Tenant usually pays for small stuff like light bulbs, servicing of air-con etc, however any repairs should be paid by the landlord.

It really depends on the agreement you sign for renting the apt.
If i'm not wrong, in the contract, it will state that all general wear & tear will be bear by the landlord, including light bulbs etc.

However, if you do not sign any proper contract stating the rules, the rule of thumb is small repairs will be handled by tenants, big (wear & tear) repairs by landlord. As for other accidental damages caused by the tenants, juz pray hard you have a nice landlord.

I used to have a very nice landlord who replaces all damages, including the utensils that he provide for me. hehe ;)

In my case, there is an excess (like car insurance). The tenant has to bear the cost of repairs up to $100. If the cost is > than $100, then the landlord will pay the extra.

I use to rent out apartments. Wow you wont believe it. True life stories:

Case 1: A Japanese girl called me in the middle of night asking me to fix the burst water pipe.
Case 2: A Singaporean stewardess called me almost monthly to change the spoilt light bulbs.
Case 3: An Australian couple paid on their own to repair the TV set, the air-cons, etc. (I only found out after they left.....)
Case 4: One Middle-east couple asked me to paint the walls all black, I refused and the deal was called off.

Later got time, tell u more.....

Well, me earlier lease (which just expired) stated that the tenant will bear service and to maintain the apartment in good teneable condition, but repairs of major stuff is to be borne by the landlord. When we signed the agreement, there was a $100 limit as to how much I, the tenant will pay, anything over is borne by the landlord.

However, upon expiration the new contract said that "all repair and service costs is to be borne by the tenant". I find this objectionable, and didn't sign the contract. Told the landlord I wouldn't sign it, and it wasn't what we agreed upon in the first place. Said he'd get back to me, but its been 3 weeks liao :dunno:

So, just want to check and see what the general situation is like. Like my friend's landlord bears the cost of repairs for everything, no $100 limit etc..

Now the market is to the advantage of tenant. You can ask whatever you want. If the landlord does not agree, then you move out and look for another apartment. Trust me, most landlord will want you to stay.

Agree with Astin. Tell Landlord you don't agree to his change in terms and that you want original lease terms to be kept. But best to clear this up ASAP so you know exactly where you stand - ie. call the Landlord and tell him you want the Lease issue resolved.

hi, in any normal tenancy agreement, the TENANT must keep the interior of the said premises including the sanitary & water apparatus and the furniture and the doors & windows in good and tenantable repair and condition thru out the tenacy (fair wear and tear and damage by any act beyond the control of the tenant excepted.)

To be responsible for all MINOR repairs and replacement of parts and other expendable items at its own expense up to S$100. Such expenditure in excess of S$100 shall be borne by the LANDLORD.

To keep the air-conditioning units installed at and for the said premises in good and tenantable repair and condition. Air-conditioning units are to be serviced and maintained at least once every 3 mths at the expense of the TENANT by a reliable air-conditioning contractor.

Hope the above info is of help :)

Status
Not open for further replies.