Proper camera maintenance

Status
Not open for further replies.

bhybhy

Sep 21, 2008
Singapore
Hi all,

Just like to clear my doubts on proper maintenance technique with regards to dry cabinet storage. Do I/you keep the Camera body separate with the lens at the end of the day or you can leave them on for the next shoot? what humidity do you set for the storage box? my is registering 51% RH. Is it ok?

Any good website to recommend for camera maintenance?

Would like to know anything about dummy battery which would protect the flash. Anyone know where to get them? Are they good for what they are or function they serve?

Thanks

Last edited:
thanks! just realize its in the manual too haha.

what about dummy batteries anyone?

what about dummy batteries anyone?

Dummy batteries? Keep batteries in cool dry place away from sun/heat, but not in the dry box.. dry box might cause batteries to leak, also remove from the camera when not in use for long periods.. I just put mine into a large plastic box of batteries on a shelf with the rest of my books/display.

Dummy batteries? Keep batteries in cool dry place away from sun/heat, but not in the dry box.. dry box might cause batteries to leak, also remove from the camera when not in use for long periods.. I just put mine into a large plastic box of batteries on a shelf with the rest of my books/display.

Can anyone comfrim this :)
Thanks

Batteries supposed to be sealed but after reading about this some time back, I stopped putting batteries in the drycab except the one in the body. So far, never experienced any leaks except from used alkalines which will still leak even if outside the dry cab.

The leaking will only occur with Alkaline batteries. Of course, if you needed to use them as backup you better take them out.
But: the standard batteries used in cameras are Lithium Ion types. There is no such thing as leaking. If the sealing in these batteries ever should fail you'll get a nice firework: Lithium will react immediately with Oxygen. Do you remember those failing handphone batteries made in China?
You can take out your batteries and put them somewhere else, just in case they go off in flames. But it's rather unlikely. Other than this I don't see any reason, the recommended humidity of 50% will not do anything to your batteries.

well said:thumbsup:

Batteries supposed to be sealed but after reading about this some time back, I stopped putting batteries in the drycab except the one in the body. So far, never experienced any leaks except from used alkalines which will still leak even if outside the dry cab.

my packed of four AA energizer E2 leaks in it's packaging(not used at all), expiry date still far away. dunno can claim refund or new pack or not. how?:think:

nowadays cannot trust those batts....

well said:thumbsup:

Hi

thank you for all the response and reply. I happen to come across a video on the net, well a part of it is on dummy battery. So was just curious whether it actually work as I am trying to find out how best to properly take care of my equipments.

http://www.photoinduced.com/video/

look "on red carpet part two" under the gear tab on the dummy battery.

quite a few interesting professional photographers talking about their gears and giving tips on fashion, sports and paparazzai line too. check it out if you have the time to stream the video.

Ok noted for all the advice given. shall not put my rechargeable batteries in the dry box again.:bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.