Prom night settings? HELP!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Abuddlah

Sep 2, 2008
Guys! my level is having prom night soon after our 'o's. And I was asked to be their photographer. Here's the thing, i have a 450D and i have 3lens. 18-55mm, 50mm and 55-250mm. AND i have no idea which lens to bring. I think the prom will be alittle dark so can i have some help on which lens to bring? IF i can bring one, that will be good. cause i don't wanna bring my bag around. AND what kind of settings should i have on my camera?

If you have some cash to spare, you could try renting a lens. I rented a 17-55 2.8 IS for my prom last year..

If you have some cash to spare, you could try renting a lens. I rented a 17-55 2.8 IS for my prom last year..

This is a good idea. On top of that, you'll most likely need to use flash too.

how much will it cost? my kit lens cannot? cause i don't really have spare cash leh

If you can tolerate with noise, use high ISO for low light photography.:)

well ... they're asking u to shoot right? ... it's only fair that u ask them to provide the equipment ... or at least pay for the rental of the necessary equipment ... u do have every right to refuse them ... and well ...

the phrase 'you get what you pay for' ... is quite true in the real world ... so if they ain't paying .... they'll have to settle with whatever they can get =/

pay peanuts - get monkeys

Agree with them rent either the 17-55 or 24-70 f/2.8 lenses. And get a flash as well maybe speedlite 530Ex II. There's a thread in clubsnap under, marketPlace, Commercial Services Offered.

A 17-55 f2.8, should be less than $30 for rent.

Or a 5D with 24-70mm, might not even need flash as you can pump the ISO with this camera.

Last edited:
But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?

how much will it cost? my kit lens cannot? cause i don't really have spare cash leh

Do you understand the fundamentals of exposure? Three factors right? Because your kit lens has a slow aperture, you will have trouble getting good exposure in those dim ballroom lights.

For rentals: http://www.clubsnap.com/forums/showthread.php?t=359995

You know how tight the 50mm focal length is right? Do you think you can shoot everything with it?

Last edited:
But i'm just supposed to take those candid shots so i was wondering 50mm will be good

FLASH!!.. no flash then no point liao.. dun think u can rely on ur built-in flash.. keep your 55-200 at home lah...

But its just a sec4 prom. The chairman told me that he don't have any cash for me. I don't even have free entry. But if i use the 50mm, with the flash of my 450D, cannot?

Honestly, it depends on how much is expected from you. Sure, your 450D + 50mm and pop-up flash can do the job. But it sure will be quite a challenge to make your shots varied and aesthetically pleasing.

But i'm just supposed to take those candid shots so i was wondering 50mm will be good

seems to me you're kinda persistent...
if that's the case, use your kit lens with ISO 1600.
after all 450's noise control is good.

Either get a zoom or be extra quick with your feet. Your chairman should at least give you a small budget. Its rather exploitative based on the expectations.

If your chairman isn't going to help you on, I think it might be best that you refuse to shoot it for them. Bring your camera and shoot for your own keepsakes. I agree that it sounds very exploitative; he's asking you for a free ride.

seems to me you're kinda persistent...
if that's the case, use your kit lens with ISO 1600.
after all 450's noise control is good.

Don't agree. D90 hailed as one of the best ISO performers out there at ISO 3200 still have some flaws which mean 450D ain't that strong? So recommended for his case is really a flash plus a f/2.8 lens.
My advice to TS, don't be so persistent I had to learn it the hard way, you will understand when your results come out.

chairman as in class chairman? ask him to get the class to chip in abit of money, shouldn't be that difficult..

If your chairman isn't going to help you on, I think it might be best that you refuse to shoot it for them. Bring your camera and shoot for your own keepsakes. I agree that it sounds very exploitative; he's asking you for a free ride.

The chairman shouldn't expect and won't get good results. At the end of the day, the chairman's most probably gonna get punished.

Don't agree. D90 hailed as one of the best ISO performers out there at ISO 3200 still have some flaws which mean 450D ain't that strong? So recommended for his case is really a flash plus a f/2.8 lens.
My advice to TS, don't be so persistent I had to learn it the hard way, you will understand when your results come out.

I have no choice luh seriously. I also wanna take good pictures. But my chairman didn't give me $$ to get the equipments. He knows nuts about cameras. But i agreed to be the photographer. Cannot be i use my own money to rent the lens what. No way

Status
Not open for further replies.