projection of digital photographs

Status
Not open for further replies.

weeteck

Feb 13, 2004
hi all . i am relatively new to digital photography. i used to shoot slides [ kodachrome 64 ] and project my travel photographs on a white wall. theb image size is about 5 ft by 3.5 ft and viewed from about 14 feet. needless to say, the colours are vibrant and the contrast and sharpness of the images make carrying all my gear on holidays very worthwhile.

i am now using a canon 5D shooting on large fine resolution. i then burn my photod on a CD.

my questions

1.is it possible to achieve kodachrome image quality ie colour, contrast and sharpness on a projected image of 5 ft by 3.5 ft viewed at 14 ft with my 12 megapixel 5D or am i chasing an impossible dream
2. if so, can i contimue on JPEG large - fine setting on my 5D or do i need to shoot RAW
3.what digital projector specification do i look out for eg ANSI lumens, contrast, XGA or UXGA resolution etc etc to achieve what i want [i am on a budget and do not want to pay for an expensive home theatre projector to view movies. just a good projector to view my digital photos] many thanks

Sorry man. You will never be able to get the same kind of colors or resolution as your slides projected.

It's got nothing to do with the cam or the format you save. In fact, in raw mode, you may not get the true colors unless you have PSed the pic.

It all boils down to a good computer graphics card output and the project itself. We are talking about at least an XGA. Even then, I can still see the pixels when I walk very near to the screen.

One suggestion. Get a good 19 inch LCD panel and a good graphics card (?which one - can anyone help). It will be good enough for a small group.

weeteck said:
hi all . i am relatively new to digital photography. i used to shoot slides [ kodachrome 64 ] and project my travel photographs on a white wall. theb image size is about 5 ft by 3.5 ft and viewed from about 14 feet. needless to say, the colours are vibrant and the contrast and sharpness of the images make carrying all my gear on holidays very worthwhile.

i am now using a canon 5D shooting on large fine resolution. i then burn my photod on a CD.

my questions

1.is it possible to achieve kodachrome image quality ie colour, contrast and sharpness on a projected image of 5 ft by 3.5 ft viewed at 14 ft with my 12 megapixel 5D or am i chasing an impossible dream
2. if so, can i contimue on JPEG large - fine setting on my 5D or do i need to shoot RAW
3.what digital projector specification do i look out for eg ANSI lumens, contrast, XGA or UXGA resolution etc etc to achieve what i want [i am on a budget and do not want to pay for an expensive home theatre projector to view movies. just a good projector to view my digital photos] many thanks
I don't think there are that many high definition projectors out there in the market (read EXPENSIVE). For that matter, I haven't heard of any >6mp projectors in the market yet (I may be slow though). A cheaper alternative is to get the image written on a slide and use a standard slide projector. Then again, you might as well just shoot slides. :)

lsisaxon said:
A cheaper alternative is to get the image written on a slide and use a standard slide projector. Then again, you might as well just shoot slides. :)

If there was sufficient demand, future minilabs could include digital-to-slide services at low prices, just as with paper prints. Now that's a big "if" ... but in an age where people replace TV sets with projectors and build darkened "home entertainment rooms", there is a slight chance that slide projection could become more fashionable again.

Status
Not open for further replies.