Project Superstar, Wcon n Slave Flash on FZ5

Status
Not open for further replies.

unseen

Dec 14, 2004
NTU and Wdls
Yoz I've gotten requests to show off my slave flash results, what better time than photos I took today. I was just bumming about Orchard when I got invited to shoot the PSS appearance.. haha good thing didn't have to go against the 500+ guy crazy girls out there.. got special pass..

Disclaimer: Event photos here, meant for documentation purposes etc... forgive me if my framing etc is bad.. comments welcomed..

Backstage in the tent...
FZ5 + Olympus W-con 0.7 + Flash from Emoblitz Slave @ ISO100, F2.8, 1/60
web066.jpg

FZ5 + Forced Flash from Emoblitz Slave @ ISO 100, F2.8, 1/125
web111.jpg

FZ5 + Forced Flash from Emoblitz Slave @ ISO 100, F3.2, 1/60
web144.jpg

FZ5 + Forced Flash from Emoblitz Slave @ ISO 100, F2.8, 1/100
web173.jpg

on hind sight, should have used F3.3, should get less white stuff on their faces.. or use 1/125

Sitting down to drink Vodavoda..
FZ5 + no flash + Olympus W-con 0.7 @ ISO 200, F3.6, 1/80
web198.jpg

Posing for Vodavoda
FZ5 + Olympus W-con 0.7 + Flash from Emoblitz Slave @ ISO200, F4.0, 1/200
web207.jpg

Eh.. i also dunno how come it's ISO 200... strange sia
I don't remember adjusting to ISO200...

how come you always got such good lobang wan... :bsmilie:

cLarbRyan said:
how come you always got such good lobang wan... :bsmilie:

Some more use my WCON... Bakaero... i wan treat treat treat...

LOL don't go OT.. showing the W-CON 0.7 in use here..
don't know if u can see, but if close up the people at the sides are slightly distorted..
the flash workes fine.. thou I had to switch in and out of slave to prevent other flashes from triggering my flash.. lucky the recycle time was good..

Cheers.

Cool! best of all they remain eye contact with u :)

wow how much is ur flash setup? with the bracket.. and what bracket u use? got picture of ur setup?

unseen said:
don't know if u can see, but if close up the people at the sides are slightly distorted..
the flash workes fine.. thou I had to switch in and out of slave to prevent other flashes from triggering my flash.. lucky the recycle time was good..

Cheers.

must get u to teach me how to use the flash next time...

;)

:thumbsup: to the lens. IMHO the distortion is hardly noticable, and definately acceptable to me!

unseen said:

Cheers.

Edit: Can show us a picture of your setup with WCON07 and the slave flash? I'm interested to know the position of the flash, as the WCON could block it and cast a shadow on the image? You don't seem to have this problem. TIA!

nice shots n good bumming @ orchard..
some shots seem abit harsh with the flash, is any diffuser used?
Other shots seem pretty alright.

if can get wider angle with some inital of project super star in background will better. at least viewer will know for wat occasion. (for nerds like me who dun really watch TCS shows, stuck with TVB)

huggable said:
:thumbsup: to the lens. IMHO the distortion is hardly noticable, and definately acceptable to me!

Edit: Can show us a picture of your setup with WCON07 and the slave flash? I'm interested to know the position of the flash, as the WCON could block it and cast a shadow on the image? You don't seem to have this problem. TIA!
hmm on closer scrutiny i can see a very faint shadow of the wcon in the first pic.. maybe its because of the fz-5's flash.. maybe can try reflecting the in built flash to the slave flash directly? so that the in built flash cant be seen?

yeah can see the shadow esp in pic 1 and a bit in pic 4.

but the exposures are quite nice. FZ-5 got no hotshoe issit? so have to use slave? Sorry i using fz-20

zenesh said:
yeah can see the shadow esp in pic 1 and a bit in pic 4.

but the exposures are quite nice. FZ-5 got no hotshoe issit? so have to use slave? Sorry i using fz-20
yep have to use slave.. poor us..

actually not that bad..
Slave flash, i lost my bracket.. I was supposed to pick up from this really kind guy whom i've been too bz to contact.. so all my slave flashes are hand held...
for pic 1 + 4, i think i forgot to block my internal flash... then end up top brighter than bottom.. got slight shadow.. I did a slight bit of touch up..

Yeah slave all the way.. hand held all the way... but good in a way, i can redirect the flash so that it fires from below or from side so that the person's face is illuminated from say both sides, internal + external..

heh heh today's cosplay photos, u can see also.. posting them in a while.. got over 600+ photos to sort thru..
Battery life of the FZ5: intensive flashing, some reviewing, camera on from 12pm to 6:30pm - 602 5MP shots with 2 batteries only

the w-con blocks the internal flash, so i use external flash..
so if i use w-con, i'll block the internal flash, and use external flash.
if i forget to block, then u get top brighter than bottom.
I can't control the flash output, sometimes i get totally white washed photos, must retake..
anyway my newest thumb of rule for flashing.. unless using wcon, if taking photos less than 3 meters away, use iso 200 and internal flash coz the FZ5 flash is v v v accurate.. something i picked up today..

all made eye contact coz i was given a official photographer "pass", so most of the time i told them to get together for me to take photo.. except for the last photo coz there was no longer a chair barrier, so everyone was taking photo and hard to get all of them to look at me at the same time.. LOL

Yeah I'm not v good at controlling the flash (by changing aperture, shutter), so sometimes it looks a bit harsher.. photo 4 being v obvious.. but i can remove that effect in PS lar.. not too hard.. :)
here you go..
removed a bit of the shadow effect, made it less harsh
web173-2.jpg

unseen said:
actually not that bad..
Slave flash, i lost my bracket.. I was supposed to pick up from this really kind guy whom i've been too bz to contact.. so all my slave flashes are hand held...
for pic 1 + 4, i think i forgot to block my internal flash... then end up top brighter than bottom.. got slight shadow.. I did a slight bit of touch up..

Yeah slave all the way.. hand held all the way... but good in a way, i can redirect the flash so that it fires from below or from side so that the person's face is illuminated from say both sides, internal + external..

heh heh today's cosplay photos, u can see also.. posting them in a while.. got over 600+ photos to sort thru..
Battery life of the FZ5: intensive flashing, some reviewing, camera on from 12pm to 6:30pm - 602 5MP shots with 2 batteries only

bro wat bracket were u using before u lose yours
i have probs trying to have my slave(with syn eye) to fire off immediately when the fz5's flash fires

or shd i jus hand held it like u?

thanks

dun mind can post a pic of ur setup? or at least the flash and bracket?
what do u block the built in flash with?

emoblitz gave a slave bracket.. i used that one...
i try get another camera to take a photo of my setup.. now the only other camera i haf is my phone and i'm lazy to install the software..

once again, i don't have a bracket now and I'm hand holding all my flashes.. with a sock on it (diffuser i mean).

ok I'll tell u what i block my flash with, but better don't laugh.. today hong jia laughed his head off when he saw my flash.. i stuck a white sticker over the flash. sometimes i use a post it pad, tear a small strip, stick it in front of the flash.. just block 70 or 80 percent of the light can already, they human eye can't really tell the diff already..

fuse said:
bro wat bracket were u using before u lose yours
i have probs trying to have my slave(with syn eye) to fire off immediately when the fz5's flash fires

or shd i jus hand held it like u?

thanks
from my testing:

FZ 5 fires 1 flash in the day (when the flash is used as fill in flash, and the surrounding is bright). normally outdoors, in the sun, or super bright room.

fires 2 flashes when it's darker. as a very rough guide line, sunlight about 6:30pm or so, or in an average lit room..

so judge yourself see if u need to set your slave to detect 1 flash or 2 flashes.. emoblitz one i can switch between the 2 of them..

Status
Not open for further replies.