Project 'Chinatown'

Status
Not open for further replies.

Almond

Jun 19, 2002
Singapore
Visit site
Hi all,

Rememder the project on 'let's do a National Geographic singapore style'? we had evolved into Project 'Twilight Trades'(Lolz) with the theme
'disappearing trades' . We are planning to go to the above mention this coming Sunday. if you're interested. Please come and join us. it should be quite a eye-opener and don't be intimidated, cos we're just a buncha photog lovers and enthusiasts!

info is as below :

Date : 08/09/2002, Sun.
Time : Meet @ 0930hrs
Location : Outram Park MRT station control(did i spell correctly?)
* Outing to be cancelled if it rains on sunday, or you can give me
a call to find out if the outing is still on. ;)

My Contact number : 93690159

Equipment that may be needed (personnal preference):

1. Tripod/ monopod
2. Cable Release
3. Film/extra memory
4. Extra batteries
5. Mini Torch
6. Mineral water, snack, etc.

* did i leave out anything? feel free to pose any questions, or suggestions.

Regards,
Almond

any wet weather contingency plans? :)

0930hrs... on a sunday... hmm... guess i could be up for it.
almond if i can't make it, will let u know.

Yo Almond....

Hmmm torch light for a day time outing??....heheh

Anyway, i should be able to make it this ime round.

One more thing, is there anyone who would like to try SLR photography (film) and come alon to his outing, i have an extra set of SLR body with 35-80mm lens and a 100-300mm lens to loan out (For Free) .

regards,
Sulhan

Originally posted by sulhan
Yo Almond....
One more thing, is there anyone who would like to try SLR photography (film) and come alon to his outing, i have an extra set of SLR body with 35-80mm lens and a 100-300mm lens to loan out (For Free) .

i won't mind trying out a SLR as well :) got to provide my own film right? hmm.. i bring a spare neck strap.

My friend can't make it to Chinatown tomorrow ... so I'll see you guys on Sunday then! :)

Originally posted by pyre

i won't mind trying out a SLR as well :) got to provide my own film right? hmm.. i bring a spare neck strap.

Well...film is quite cheap. Just drop by CP, 2 rolls of Fuji Xtra 400 for $7.

Originally posted by pyre
any wet weather contingency plans? :)

0930hrs... on a sunday... hmm... guess i could be up for it.
almond if i can't make it, will let u know.

Roger that!
:thumbsup:

Hmmm...
You guys are in the theme "disappearing trades"...
What about trades that have already disappeared in Singapore?

You see, I was rumaging through a pack of old slides (presumably my dad took them), and I found this slide which may be of use...

It was a shot taken about those rice-sack "coolies" stacking heaps of rice sacks using those metal hooks..

If you guys are interested, I may be able to pass you guys the that slide.... provided my dad agrees to it.

I'll try to scan the slide and post it here ASAP...
And have a great time tomorrow!

Hi Snag,

Just for your information, the project is going to be a non-profitable project and just a pre alert incase if your dad request $$$$$$ for the photos.

I'm sure such photo would add a punch to the calender that we are trying to create.

Do appreciate your support for the project and it would be nice if you could join us in our next meeting (date soon to be announce).

Take care and have a nice day.

regards,
Sulhan

Hi Snag,

Just for your information, the project is going to be a non-profitable project and just a pre alert incase if your dad request $$$$$$ for the photos.

I'm sure such photo would add a punch to the calender that we are trying to create.

Do appreciate your support for the project and it would be nice if you could join us in our next meeting (date soon to be announce).

Take care and have a nice day.

regards,
Sulhan

Yeap, I know about that!
I was intending to contribute some images as well. I'm sure that he would not mind.

Anyway, here are the scanned pictures of the slides (I found somemore.. some of them might be OT to this theme though.)
Pardon me for the scanning quality, I didn't have any fancy slide scanner, so I used my own scanner + slide adapter...

rice.jpg

merlion.jpg

merlion2.jpg

merlion3.jpg

sand.jpg

edit: I can't display the pictures here... even if I used the IMG tag.. strange.

sulhan, i think 2morrow best i just stick to my digital for the moment. apologies... hope u get this message so u won't have to bring the body to the shoot.

thx 4 the offer anyway. see u there.

Hi Pyre,

No Worries.....if let say you change your mind tomorrow.....early in the morning right after you get off your bed....do pop me an sms @ 97310674.

Regards,
Sulhan

Okay everyone,

Here is some coverage of todays outing. Total of 4 of us (hmmm...seems like all are from the core team of the PROJECT ONE) met up today and went to Chinatown.

Though it was raining all day, it did not stop us from
"PAPARAZZI-ING" in the Chinatown area......Most of the photos taken for the day seem to be centered on the street side (on the floor) vendors. Most of them are old chinese men and women.

Sad to say the people there aren't that friendly and even after asking permission for photoshots, these people shun to be photographed.

So we have to go about using the "crude" way........ long lens!!!!
One man actually shouted at us and shoooooh us away. Very challenging day indeed.

We went to the wet market and found some of the stall owners very friendly and willing to be photographed. In some cases, we actually followed behind an "ang moh" group tour in the market and that helped us to steal some shots an the shop owners really give BIG BIG smiles to these foreigners....tooo bad.

Well....the weather was really bad and we stayed in the market ara and had lunch after which we decided to head for Peninsula........THATS WHERE THE ADVENTURE STARTS!!!!!

We actually came across a chinese WAYANG stage in one of the streets and they were playing the drums and symbols....tok tok chiang thingy......and to our surprise we saw a group of senior performers making up (painting their faces) for the show- back stage.

So in the drizzle, we headed to the stage and we asked permission to take photos........UP BACK STAGE.......and the leader of the troupe agreed....and off we go climbing a wobbly stairs up the stage.......

In a matter of seconds......click...cklik...clik...clik...clik....we were snapping away the painted faces of the performers...........pandora,Almond,firefox and myself.......really took no chances and really make full use of the time up there to take photos of the colorful outfit and costumes.....and also the nice make up table.....!!!!!

Well....hopefully the pictures turn out nice.....so that we can use it in the project!!!!!

Okay!!!....till then.....stay tune...for other upcoming outings!!!!

regards,
me

aiya really regret that i didnt go - esp that part abt the adventure.

i've been to chinatown b4 & like what u said - the pple there dun like their pics taken:gbounce:

Originally posted by lavenderlilz
aiya really regret that i didnt go - esp that part abt the adventure.
join us next time lah... :D

from the looks of it, we expect more of such "mis-adventures" in the future, esp considering the theme that we're pursuing.

Yo Almond....

Hmmm torch light for a day time outing??....heheh

Anyway, i should be able to make it this ime round.

regards,
Sulhan

Hi there. I've got a cousin who is interested in photography, but he does not have his own gear. I was wondering if you would be willing to loan him your SLR to give him a feel of photography? I most likely be joining you guys for this weekend's shoot. Let me know if you are able to lend my cousin your gear. Thx. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.