Professional self taught photographers ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kultchris

Jan 28, 2004
Hi Guys , I am Just curious . Anyone of u here is a self taught professional photographer? Or in most cases going thru courses r necessary ? Thanks for all the advice :)

Hi Guys , I am Just curious . Anyone of u here is a self taught professional photographer? Or in most cases going thru courses r necessary ? Thanks for all the advice :)

Attending photography courses is not necessary, but it will help you better understand the theory and concepts behind what you are doing.

By the way, I have a MFA (Master of Fine Arts) degree in Photography but rarely apply what I have learned in school onto my daily job. Unless, I lecture or conduct workshops of course. ;)

Last edited:
thnaks for ur reply photobum !

I professionally self taught my profession shooting gundam models. Hur hur....

the boss i work with once told me.

"THERE NO SUCH THING AS A SELF TAUGHT PHOTOGRAPHER"

there are many fine detail book will not teach.

in term of studio shoot. there are many things to consider. where to put the lights, how many lights, how high the lights, what thickness of filter to use or color gels, any fill-in, make-up, hair, theme of the shoot, where the model going to stand, air-con temperature etcccc. you know what i mean. so to me if someone say that he or she is self taught photographer. 'good for them':thumbsup:

relax ;)

well i guess what the TS meant by 'self taught' refers to not being professionally trained in a school?

but of course we all learn from all sorts of people, things, books, internet. even experiences teach us many things and we learn a lot on the way.

sometimes through random chatter, we pick up some knowledge as well.

in term of studio shoot. there are many things to consider. where to put the lights, how many lights, how high the lights, what thickness of filter to use or color gels, any fill-in, make-up, hair, theme of the shoot, where the model going to stand, air-con temperature etcccc. you know what i mean. so to me if someone say that he or she is self taught photographer. 'good for them':thumbsup:

wow, someone stepped on someone's tail.

and someone seemed to buy off on everything someonelse had told him/her/it ... sad.

self-taught

–adjective
1. taught to oneself or by oneself to be (as indicated) without the aid of a formal education: self-taught typing; a self-taught typist.
2. learned by oneself: a self-taught mastery of the guitar.
============================================

I think this is the meaning is what TS referring to.

anyway, even with formal training, there are thousand and one things school never teach you. many things have learn from working experience.

I self taught a lot of things... one of them is to relax myself in the bathroom. LOL!

I self taught AV - books never teech1 :confused:

i dont quite understand the question from TS honestly.

for someone to be in the profession, just go acra and apply for a pte ltd company with a bank account. anyone can claim to have a profession in photography (and hence the term professional).

but for someone to be good at it is a totally different story.

Status
Not open for further replies.