professional phtographer?

Status
Not open for further replies.

michhy

Oct 21, 2005
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... this is my take on an often misused term...

PROFESSIONAL photographer is someone who makes a living out of photography.
You are not a professional photographer is you do not make a living out of photography.

Professional comes from the word, profession.

what is your take on this word? :dunno:

Is it very important to get the word and it's usage correct?

Shoot more, don't think so much about the technicalities.

espn said:
Is it very important to get the word and it's usage correct?

Shoot more, don't think so much about the technicalities.

Because it kinda makes me squint whenever people use the word on themselves and start feeling egoistic all over it, when they dont even know the real meaning of the word... :sweat:

michhy said:
Because it kinda makes me squint whenever people use the word on themselves and start feeling egoistic all over it, when they dont even know the real meaning of the word... :sweat:

Hmm ... what about CEO, COO , CFO and etc etc ... :dunno:

I often jokes about getting a job on CEO - Chief Entertainment Officer ... :bsmilie: where can I find this job ... :think:

michhy said:
Leave them be then, why bother. If they're good, so be it, if not, nothing you can do, shoot more, worry about getting the shots than worrying about what names other call themselves.

KNIGHT ONG said:
Hmm ... what about CEO, COO , CFO and etc etc ... :dunno:

I often jokes about getting a job on CEO - Chief Entertainment Officer ... :bsmilie: where can I find this job ... :think:
You is BZK Officer liao wor ;p still not enough ah? :sticktong

espn said:
Leave them be then, why bother. If they're good, so be it, if not, nothing you can do, shoot more, worry about getting the shots than worrying about what names other call themselves.

i do find it embarrassing when friends or close clients sometimes misuse the word. just thought it would be beneficial if the community knows WHEN to use the term.:embrass:

and i dont "worry about getting the shots" because i'm just a hobbyist. i dont get paid for my photos... instead, i have to PAY to get them printed! ;)

michhy said:
i do find it embarrassing when friends or close clients sometimes misuse the word. just thought it would be beneficial if the community knows WHEN to use the term.:embrass:

and i dont "worry about getting the shots" because i'm just a hobbyist. i dont get paid for my photos... instead, i have to PAY to get them printed! ;)
I not saying you paid or not... what I meant is... worry about getting the shots you want, so that you can pay for them to be printed :bsmilie:

espn said:
I not saying you paid or not... what I meant is... worry about getting the shots you want, so that you can pay for them to be printed :bsmilie:

speaking of this, how often do you guys print your shots?:think:

My shots all lousy shots, so I don't print very often, but if I do, I print S8R or larger, :)

if it really bothers u so much...

professional = relating to a person tt partakes in job tt need special education and training, for money rather than for fun

professionalism = the skill and high standards of behaviour expected of a professional person

coutesy of dictonary...for professional...the dictionary got pretty alot of meanings for it...but it sums up to be skill and money the way i intepret it...and professionalism implies attitude and ability

words are juz there to play ard with..... photography to me is about professionalism...anyone with the knowledge can be a professional...tt's wats makes the diff...

cheers..

michhy said:
Correct me if I'm wrong, but... this is my take on an often misused term...

PROFESSIONAL photographer is someone who makes a living out of photography.
You are not a professional photographer is you do not make a living out of photography.

Professional comes from the word, profession.

what is your take on this word? :dunno:
Based on your definition, that guy/girl who takes your passport/driving license photos at the print shop is a professional photographer, because he makes a living out of it. :think:

Why bother with all those 'labels'?

Sometimes people also say "... you swimmer / runner huh?" just because I swim or run (jog actually). It doesn't inflate my head. But how to answer back? Yes or not?

Because the +ve labelling is neutralised when I become "Driver" just because I drive. :D

50 years or so ago, an amatuer is known to be on a higher status than a professional. The word amatuer actually derives from the Latin word "amo" which means to do things out of passion. In another words, an amatuer doesn't necessarily mean lower standards. It means a person who do it out of passion. A photographer with a lot of passion would bound to do something better than a professional would. In today's society, the meaning of amatuer has somehow been misinterpreted.

A professional on the other hand is someone who does the job for his bread and butter and doesn't necessarily mean he is good. Many times a professional photographer is not given the leeway to think out of the box because he is more like a puppet that is being controlled by the Art Director. He just needs to be technically sound in his skills to do what the Art Director wants him to do.

There is often this word used that is called "semi-pro". There is no such word in the first place. You are either a professional or you are not. If you do it part-time then consider yourself a freelance.

Astin said:
Based on your definition, that guy/girl who takes your passport/driving license photos at the print shop is a professional photographer, because he makes a living out of it. :think:

I think this conclusion is absolutely correct. If someone makes hise/her living with photography, s/he is a professional photographer.

The word "professional" doesn't imply anything about quality, artistic merits, or even qualifications. In fact, amateurs (= people who do something for the love of it) are in a far better position to create great photos: they tend to take pride in the result of their work (as opposed to professionals who may not care about it as long as they get their money), and they don't need to factor in expensive worktime.

There are some photographers who are not professional photographers by definition, but they earn more $$$ than their day time jobs. :) Eg, day time job 3k, photography 5k. Sometimes less, sometimes more.

Like that how?

F the def lar, just earn $$$ can liao.

ortega said:
some people call me the "camera man" :)
Yeah man, so true. heh.... :D Videographer same, "oi, camera man, we need you here".

Status
Not open for further replies.