Professional Photography Assistant

been there done that. The person is right, hopefully one day i can afford the expense of a full time assistant.

My last PA was with me for 12 years. She's now on an extended break and will rejoin me in a year or two.

If only I cn afford one life will be much easier now ><

bro sjackal you managed to find a good assistant for your work yet? :)

Which is the best camera for wild photography?

Hi kwanhan I am working with my usual guys, smaller affairs I will manage myself without assistance.

I haven't come to the stage where I need an assistant. At times, I do hope for an extra pair of hands though. If I decide to get someone in future, he/she would probably have to double up to do some post editing as well.

I haven't come to the stage where I need an assistant. At times, I do hope for an extra pair of hands though. If I decide to get someone in future, he/she would probably have to double up to do some post editing as well.

I assist an interiors photog friend sometimes, push his trolley of monolights, stands, tripods and cameras around. It helps a lot when you don't have to manage heavy logistics yourself going floor to floor building to building, or worry about gear security and can concentrate on the job. Also it speeds up really fast when the assistant is experienced or a photogr himself there is no need to teach him how to plug a cable into a monobloc socket.

Last edited:
This is a good read.

The 40+ Items Every Photography Assistant Needs Now &#8249; PhotoShelter Blog

I remember someone here said that "a good assistant is worth more than gold" (or something like that) and I totally agreed.

In this current world where everyone wants to be a photographer and thinks that they are, nobody wants to be assistant.

It's also the same saying as "Behind Every Successful Man, There is a Woman..." hehehehe

My stuff are considered relatively lght weight. I thought having someone else would be helpful at instances where I can set up 2 sets of equipment at different parts of the building just to capitalise on the lighting condition, expecially for night shots. Most of the time, when I'm done with the 1st shot of the evening, light's already gone so its a one photo per session kinda thing. I will be more efficient with help.

I always get an assistant when shooting interiors to help with lighting and misc chores. It helps a lot to have someone else take charge of tiding up, taking care of equipment & setting lights/adjusting power etc. Myself is already pouring over the angle, lighting setup, the details & conversing with client.

Problem is many people are not professionally trained in assisting and they have this notion or mentality their job scope is something else entirely (example: being a photographer). As such so far I only work with people I know & trust. It'll be nice to get to know more people (assistants) but can't be sure how long they will be in this line of work. And one can't train a complete newbie much on an ad-hoc basis, because when they don't have an opportunity to practise nor see the result, they won't understand what how and why.

Back when I was learning to assist, it took lord-knows-how-many jobs before my ex-boss didn't have to keep repeating himself nor walk over to double check my work. I had to understand his style of work and entire workflow from setup to shooting to post process before I had a smudge of confidence of what I was doing while assisting. As for doing post, that learning curve was even tougher and definitely not something one can just throw to a stranger.

If you're serious about assisting then go full-time. Even if you have to start lowest rung in a studio to sweep their floor it'll be an experience. Otherwise I think you'll always be the assistant carrying gear and not doing much of anything else.

Check out Stills Network Facebook
Might help to answer Photographer doubt about assistants... Cheers