Professional photographer in Singapore

Status
Not open for further replies.

sabby

May 25, 2005
hi guys,

i was just wondering, since i am pretty new in photography, how is the photography standard in singapore like?
I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.Am i wrong to say that the standard in singapore is much lower to international standard? or was it because i have yet to see local photographers' work. I am checking out the NUS montage exhibition tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.
Meantime, your opinions.. haha

Sab.

Who have you checked out? And what fields of photography you are looking at? And who are some of the overseas photogs that impressed you? :)

gosh...you ever heard of the description "frog in the well" ?
Newbie shouldn't make claims based on their limited scope.

cosycatus said:
gosh...you ever heard of the description "frog in the well" ?
Newbie shouldn't make claims based on their limited scope.

Actually this "frog in the well" is trying to look out. He looked out and saw different things. Maybe his gaze just might have landed on the wonderful meadow, instead of the trash behind. But he was looking out.

I am born with two left feet, and can't kick a ball for nuts. But when I look out from my well, I could see that the Brazilians and Germans are much better than the Singapore footballers. Or am I wrong because I can't kick a ball? I cannot make this statement based on my limited ability to play football?

Now, who is the "frog in the well"?

hope u enjoy urself at the montage!

as for the standards of photographers in each country.. well, i'm more concerned with my own standard, or even, SETTING the standard, if i can. at least i'm working towards it. :)

jOhO said:
hope u enjoy urself at the montage!

as for the standards of photographers in each country.. well, i'm more concerned with my own standard, or even, SETTING the standard, if i can. at least i'm working towards it. :)

You are da Man

jOhO is a professional photographer
. .. ... :thumbsup:

student said:
Actually this "frog in the well" is trying to look out. He looked out and saw different things. Maybe his gaze just might have landed on the wonderful meadow, instead of the trash behind. But he was looking out.

I am born with two left feet, and can't kick a ball for nuts. But when I look out from my well, I could see that the Brazilians and Germans are much better than the Singapore footballers. Or am I wrong because I can't kick a ball? I cannot make this statement based on my limited ability to play football?

I like your football analogy doc ;p

sabby said:
hi guys,

i was just wondering, since i am pretty new in photography, how is the photography standard in singapore like?
I was checking out some overseas photographers' portfolio and was quite amazed by their works.When i check out some singaporean photographers' it didnt amaze me as much.Am i wrong to say that the standard in singapore is much lower to international standard? or was it because i have yet to see local photographers' work. I am checking out the NUS montage exhibition tomorrow.

Looking forward to it.

Sab.
Oic, you have not seen them, so they don't exist?
well, very interesting.

btw, what is connection between local professional photographers and NUS montage exhibition?

of course alot of the sites of us local newbies are pretty lame as we are still learning our craft, but there are masters in all fields of photography in singapore, for nature just checkout http://www.naturephotosociety.org.sg/ASP/Main.asp , or take a look at some of the different areas in club snap. i reckon you will have to look harder just because of the sheer numbers that are posting and the vast majority of us are basic photogs, but there are many singaporean gems out there :)
I have been to alot of overseas sites and have been impressed as well but i realise most of the time its just the one aspect that i am impressed with and that is the subject, the streets of paris seem to be a nicer setting then the streets of tampines although it is all in the beholders eye.
By the way what kind of photography interest you?

As to the frog issue all i can say is "ribbit ribbit" lol
I have been to alot of

student said:

er...okay. Pple can come up with 100 different analagies to prove their point. Besides, ur analogy sounded a bit out of point. You HAVE seen the best of local football ( aka S league) AND the best of overseas football, thus u can make a comparsion AND claimed that overseas players can kick better ( WHICH I TOTALLY AGREED....). Definitely, i think our S leaguers can win some wayward clubs in the central mountains of boliva....

But frog in the well means that their view is narrow. What i am trying to say is that he has ONLY look at good photographers overseas and yet say that the local standards is not up to theirs. Has he bothered looking at local work extensively or even the overall state of work overseas?? He is after all going for NUS montage tomorrow only.

cosycatus said:
You HAVE seen the best of local football ( aka S league) AND the best of overseas football, thus u can make a comparsion AND claimed that overseas players can kick better ( WHICH I TOTALLY AGREED....). Definitely, i think our S leaguers can win some wayward clubs in the central mountains of boliva....

Assumptions! Assumptions!

Now who was it who said that assumption is the mother of all F**k*p?

I HAVE NEVER watched any local football games. I HAVE NEVER watched any foreign football games except those snippets shown in the the TV news. Heck! The only names I know are Fandi Ahmad, Beckham and Ronaldo. Oh put in Pele and Maradona.

But I do have a little common sense and I do read newspaper and watch the occassional TV news.

Sure, some local footballers might beat some half paralysed blokes in the middle of Timbuktu! But does this negate my assertion that the Brazilians and Germans will make mince meat out of the Singapore team?

cosycatus said:
But frog in the well means that their view is narrow. What i am trying to say is that he has ONLY look at good photographers overseas and yet say that the local standards is not up to theirs. Has he bothered looking at local work extensively or even the overall state of work overseas?? He is after all going for NUS montage tomorrow only.

You are absolutely right that "frog in the well" refers to a narrow point of view. But does this apply to the TS? He may be inexperienced, but he is looking out of his well. As I alluded to, perhaps he had seen only good ones outside and not the bad ones (But then would the bad ones have their own website?)

How can the TS see others' work? By looking at the websites. And can you fault him when the websites he saw overseas are "good" and those in Singapore "not so good?"

Would you be so kind to show some local websites that are good? And some foreign websites that are not good? No? You can't? Why?

So the TS is not a Frog-in-the Well.

sabby said:
hi guys,

Looking forward to it.

Sab.
Aiyoh... are you sure you looked at the right places? Most of the talented photographers in Singapore (well to me they're terribly good) that I know dont have a website or even bother to go to forums. Maybe you didnt look hard enough. ;)

BTW, what kind of photography style/concept would you like to see? Or are you just talking about photography in general?

Cheers

hazmee said:
Aiyoh... are you sure you looked at the right places? Most of the talented photographers in Singapore (well to me they're terribly good) that I know dont have a website or even bother to go to forums. Maybe you didnt look hard enough. ;)

BTW, what kind of photography style/concept would you like to see? Or are you just talking about photography in general?

Cheers

Those are fair comments.

Now can you advise our newbie where and how he can see the works of local photographers?

Actually I would also like to see the works of local photographers. Ideally in website portfolios, but if not, where?

student said:
Those are fair comments.

Now can you advise our newbie where and how he can see the works of local photographers?

Actually I would also like to see the works of local photographers. Ideally in website portfolios, but if not, where?
find yellow page, under professional photographers,

call them, and ask to see thier porfolios.

IMHO i think the standard of professional photography in Singapore as well as photography in general is pretty high.

perhaps we can start a list of professional singapore photographers' websites for easy reference. pls feel free to add to the list. let me kick things off...:
1. www.yianhuang.com

catchlights said:
find yellow page, under professional photographers,

call them, and ask to see thier porfolios.

Well, I took your kind advice.

I have the Yellow pages- both the Commercial/Industrial Guide and the Buying Guide.

I looked for "Professional Photogaphers".

None.

But there are "photographers". So I looked at the columns. Some show pictures. The majority do not. Who should I call? Hmm, how to get there?

Then I went to the internet. In less than 10 minutes I got these

www.opalenik.com
www.donkirbyphotography.com
www.monakhun.com
www.arnorafaelninkkinen.org
www.connieimboden.com
www.guidoargentini.com
www.bitesnich.com
www.VIIphoto.com
www.joycetenneson.com
www.haidukphotography.com
www.dykinga.com
www.bobbilane.com

Maybe our local professionals are so busy making money that a website is totally unimportant to them. Or there might be other reasons.

Well, short of calling up these anonymous Singapore Photographers and asking them to show me their portfolio, and spending time to travel to their studios (well there are a lot of listings!) How am I going to compare the works of local photographers with those overseas which I can assess so easily?

student said:
Those are fair comments.

student,

I have compiled a list of local Professional Photographers & knew a few of them in person.

In this elite circle, some truth are there that many still don't believe in showcasing works in website, but has very established Clientele base, local & overseas to roll great works over & over again.

Some ads out there may appeared big bang jobs done overseas but wait, they are local productions!

The list's not limited to specific specialities but I have omitted wedding photostudio as I think it belonged to retail category - 1 to 1 trade but not working alongside with advertising & Industry professionals with a diffderent demand.

1. www.shootinggalleryasia.com
2. www.royzhang.com
3. www.derricklim.com
4. www.caesarfoto.com
5. www.weekhim.com
6. www.trizonegp.com
7. www.johnclang.com
8. www.panorama.com.sg
:cheers:

zaren said:
IMHO i think the standard of professional photography in Singapore as well as photography in general is pretty high.

perhaps we can start a list of professional singapore photographers' websites for easy reference. pls feel free to add to the list. let me kick things off...:
1. www.yianhuang.com

Now that is a start!

But I noticed from his website which you kindly provided that his official address is in Paris. So is he local or is he overseas?

Volks said:
student,

I have compiled a list of local Professional Photographers & knew a few of them in person.

In this elite circle, some truth are there that many still don't believe in showcasing works in website, but has very established Clientele base, local & overseas to roll great works over & over again.

Some ads out there may appeared big bang jobs done overseas but wait, they are local productions!

The list's not limited to specific specialities but I have omitted wedding photostudio as I think it belonged to retail category - 1 to 1 trade but not working alongside with advertising & Industry professionals with a diffderent demand.

1. www.shootinggalleryasia.com
2. www.royzhang.com
3. www.derricklim.com
4. www.caesarfoto.com
5. www.weekhim.com
6. www.trizonegp.com
7. www.johnclang.com
8. www.panorama.com.sg
:cheers:

Good! Now our TS and others can start to compare fortfolios from those you supplied and those I supplied.

I am sure there are many more that you can list. But there also many more that I can provide.

But let us start with these, and see how if there is a difference.

student said:
Well, I took your kind advice.

I have the Yellow pages- both the Commercial/Industrial Guide and the Buying Guide.

I looked for "Professional Photogaphers".

None.

:bsmilie:
I mention "call them"!

Anyway, is true that many local professional, don't really bother much about putting up a sites, look at the PPAS, when is their last update?

For the newer generation of professionals are more Internet savvy, but again, unless you know the photographers personally, seen his works and styles, else might be deceive by some wannabe spend a lot money to put up a impressive site, but they real works are very weak.

Status
Not open for further replies.