Professional makeovers

Status
Not open for further replies.

wildhoney

Jan 18, 2002
singapore
The better you look, the higher your chance at wowing the interviewers and getting the job.

So, for my resume,
I'm considering going for one of those make-over thingys where they dress u up nice n proper n snap some professional shots of u - i'm talking about the executive package, not the ooh lala ones.

I'm considering Beauty Box. Heard it's not bad. Plus they let u keep the negatives.

Any of you can provide me with some "insider " info ?? Like where's good? What must I pay attention to? Special requests? etcetc

Originally posted by wildhoney
The better you look, the higher your chance at wowing the interviewers and getting the job.

So, for my resume,
I'm considering going for one of those make-over thingys where they dress u up nice n proper n snap some professional shots of u - i'm talking about the executive package, not the ooh lala ones.

I'm considering Beauty Box. Heard it's not bad. Plus they let u keep the negatives.

Any of you can provide me with some "insider " info ?? Like where's good? What must I pay attention to? Special requests? etcetc
won't that give the interviewer a high expectation(fault hope?) of you? I think interviewer wants you to be able to do the job that you are assign to do. not just look like you can do it.

unless you are doing a sales job(and maybe some job that need to meet customer face to face)

well, the aim is to get called down for the interview.

Of cos, whether I get the job eventually depends on my actual performance during the interview, which, you can say I'm rather confident of.

Apparently, the Straits Times forum received coupla of replies from head hunters and hr managers who admitted that presentation of one's looks and whether one is able to speak well, play a large part in getting the job.

False hope? THat is precisely why I have to select the makeover place carefully. As long as they don't over do the makeup, I don't see any problem with that.

erm...surely, you've heard about the particular hospital in spore which does not admit overweight doctors, regardless of their skills yea?

LOL.......

isn't that all too shallow?
Any company which lists looks as one employment criteria is probably made up of a superficial management.

And whoever said that the world is not a shallow place?

Ask most companies and they will not admit that looks play a part. But indirectly, it does, because looks is an important factor when it comes to forming an impression.

More facts - Overweight people have 11% chance lower of getting promoted.

The height of a man is directly related to his salary.
1 inch = US $6000.

Believe it or not, it's up to you.

I believe that the management of that hospital is made up of highly educated supreme beings from the higher strata of society. Superficial or not,

when in Rome, do what the Romans do (and you'll be blessed).

Originally posted by nutz
LOL.......

isn't that all too shallow?
Any company which lists looks as one employment criteria is probably made up of a superficial management.

yah, man...agreed....if you wanna a makeover which doesn't overdo the makeup...why dun you save that money and buy some new presentable clothes and ask your fren who's good @ makeup to do it for you? :D unless you're going for jobs which require looks i.e. modelling, sales (mebbe?)...cos my frenz who are in business field told me that all they did during their interviews is being neat and be themselves....

More facts - Overweight people have 11% chance lower of getting promoted.

1 inch = US $6000.

ya. this is a shallow world. that's is why pple made and believe such 'facts' without thinking. if you read further into these reports, you will know that these 'facts' are just stats. which doesn't show that being fat/taller affect ones chances. like that height example, it just show that those who earn a certain amount are around certain height. it doesn't mean that if you can grow 1 inch taller, you will find a job which pay you US$6000 more.

Well, not trying to wage war or cause any unhappiness here.
But wildhoney, are you sure it's not only you who's purporting shallowness here?

Stats do carry certain weights, but i'm sure you know that stats are processed from surverys done on people picked on random.

isomers007, PsychoBoy, glad that you guys do look at the big picture as well.

Not too sure about companies that select employess based on looks, but pretty sure our local girls do.

Ha. No biggie. I accept that differences in opinion exist. Which also explains why there was quite a big hoo ha over the hospital's policy.

It's a matter of personal choice. Some people prefer to perceive the world from a rather idealistic angle. Some choose to be simply more practical.
I believe I belong to the latter category.

Actually, it is only from a narrow perspective would you perceive my stand to be that companies select employees based on looks.

My point, I shall make more clearly is that one's looks affect the kind of impression that one is able to imprint in the minds of others. Looks, in this case don't mean beautiful or sexy. It also could mean professional, capable or simply more pleasing to the eye, which does affect the employer's assessment of whether one is up to the job or not. After all, employers do not have a clear idea of one's actual capabilities at the point of interview and therefore, aside from grades, need to rely on body language and appearance when assessing the candidate.

Oh bother. All I was asking was which place is good for an executive makeover.

And besides, I think at least from what I've learnt from my human resource lessons, that the working place is evolving, into a more generalized form, which implies that one needs to be able to multi-task, and be effective in as many areas as possible. And therefore, should not classify one's job solely to sales, or marketing, etcetc. This implies that even if my job is that of a salesperson, I'm certain that to a certain extent my job would involve some face-to-face meetings, after all, networking as become a prime essential.

:light: Hmm...if appearances weren't that impt, I do wonder why the NUS alumnus has been holding annual fashion and makeup workshops for business executives.

Takashimaya #4 or 5 I forgot... LOOKS LIKE a pretty impressive setup for makeovers... not sure if they return negatives... or you can book wee khim for 1 hour at Henderson Industrial Park.. : )

Takashimaya #4 or 5 I forgot... LOOKS LIKE a pretty impressive setup for makeovers... not sure if they return negatives... or you can book wee khim for 1 hour at Henderson Industrial Park.. : )

oh, thankx.
isexcited.gif

Is wee khim the one working for the Straits Times ?

well apparently it's not so much of makeover.....it's just very simple makeup, most of the trick lies in the exposure of the film. All that lies in the character of the film used and the exposure technique......I have a friend who has below average skin texture....a bit of pockmarks....then this classmate did a photoshoot on her, used a specific type of film, specific exposure to rid of any texture....and she looks much different from her real textural appearance.....that's really something.

then this classmate did a photoshoot on her, used a specific type of film, specific exposure to rid of any texture....and she looks much different from her real textural appearance.....that's really something.

that IS really something .
The wonders of what photography can do.

actually i think it depends on what kinda image you're looking to get. i know all the ERA agents use Glamour Shots for their promo picts... ok i confess i've gone for a Glamour SHots session too and their results are quite executive looking. problem is that they keep the negs, giving some kok reason that they have to maintain quality control...

if you want something more funky, then can go for the younger places. they're more experimental and i think they all wanna make you into a model. :D

What is a makeover?
5mm worth of foundation with half a bottle of mouse in your hair?

You are the best person to decide what makes you look best.
Get yourself prepped for the average business function (think corporate tea party), pop down to a photo studio in the suburbs.. get a couple of nice guy volunteers here and viola.

It'll probably be more fun too..

Originally posted by Scriabinesque
well apparently it's not so much of makeover.....it's just very simple makeup, most of the trick lies in the exposure of the film. All that lies in the character of the film used and the exposure technique......I have a friend who has below average skin texture....a bit of pockmarks....then this classmate did a photoshoot on her, used a specific type of film, specific exposure to rid of any texture....and she looks much different from her real textural appearance.....that's really something.

wow...any tips to achieve that with normal SLR?

or those they use MF to shoot one??

1 inch = US $6000.
Hmmm... I'm 1.82m tall (abt 72 in).

So how much am I worth??? :dunno:

Heee.... :D

What I do know is that I need to spend more money on a bigger tripod because of my height. :cry:

Heee....

problem is that they keep the negs, giving some kok reason that they have to maintain quality control...

I think Beauty Box's executive package B allows u to keep the negs , so then prob i'll try that =P

Get yourself prepped for the average business function (think corporate tea party), pop down to a photo studio in the suburbs.. get a couple of nice guy volunteers here and viola.

Actually, the problem is that I don't know what styles of make-up working women follow, I mean yea I know how to apply make up and all, cept that everytime , even if I were prepering for a talk at school, my make-up makes me look like I'm going for a rendevouz around town or clubbing.

After all, I'ver never been to any coporate tea functions...I've been a student all my life!

I think executive make-up is slightly different from eveyday/to-school make-up? You have to wear red lipstick which I don't like. You can't have smoky eyes?
I've been observing all the working women when I take the early bus, which passes by orchard road, the clothes they wear, the colors of make-up they use and I think I've got a lot to learn so I was hoping to get some tips when I go for an executive makeover
ischeerful.gif

Originally posted by kamwai

wow...any tips to achieve that with normal SLR?

or those they use MF to shoot one??

Cross processing. Almost always increases contrast and removes very fine detail. Particularly if you use very diffused light.

Regards
CK

Status
Not open for further replies.