Professional Lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tangles112

Aug 31, 2003
Brisbane, Australia
Visit site
Ok, here's mt story. I love photography, as most of us do. I have been extremely interested in studio photography so much that my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to purchase my first kit for a small home studio. I invested in a Visatec flash kit which includes a Solo 400B, 800B and a 1600B. They came with softboxes and diffusers and sync cord. Here's where I came into trouble. As it is my very first time using these, I have become a little confused. As I have only one sync cord with the kit of 3 flashes, I have connected it to the 1600B. How do I get the other 2 flashes to trigger? My photo's are also coming out quite over exposed and extremely dark in some patches. I think I have the flashes too close to my subject. Any ideas, opinions, experiences would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys and gals.

Tangles112 said:
Ok, here's mt story. I love photography, as most of us do. I have been extremely interested in studio photography so much that my curiosity got the better of me and I decided to purchase my first kit for a small home studio. I invested in a Visatec flash kit which includes a Solo 400B, 800B and a 1600B. They came with softboxes and diffusers and sync cord. Here's where I came into trouble. As it is my very first time using these, I have become a little confused. As I have only one sync cord with the kit of 3 flashes, I have connected it to the 1600B. How do I get the other 2 flashes to trigger? My photo's are also coming out quite over exposed and extremely dark in some patches. I think I have the flashes too close to my subject. Any ideas, opinions, experiences would be extremely helpful.

Thanks guys and gals.

did u used light meter to metered the lights/output? (ie. to get the f-stop setting) basically if u trigger one flash the other will flash at the same time.
and try to set the main light (1st light) higher than fill in lights (2nd light)one stop lower and back light (3rd light) one stop lower than fill in lights..it might be working that way..just my two cents opinion.

I figured out how to get them all firing. I just had to turn the cell switch on. I am an absolute newbie at this, and I know I must sound incredibly stupid. I'm also getting "half photos" :S. The top half of the image is over exposed and the lower half is all black. I don't have a flash meter yet. That part is on back order and I should recive it within a week or so. I'm just extremely excited and keen to get up and running with portraits. I don't even have a real backdrop yet, as I am using a black bed sheet :p. I'll be ordering the backgrounds soon though once I become competent with this kit. Thanks again.

If u are using older manual camera,the fastest sync speed is usually in red color,u cannot shoot faster than that speed while using flash.

Do not shoot in Auto mode or Program mode if u are using auto camera,shoot in manual mode so that u can select the shutter speed and aperture urself.

Tangles112 said:
I figured out how to get them all firing. I just had to turn the cell switch on. I am an absolute newbie at this, and I know I must sound incredibly stupid. I'm also getting "half photos" :S. The top half of the image is over exposed and the lower half is all black. I don't have a flash meter yet. That part is on back order and I should recive it within a week or so. I'm just extremely excited and keen to get up and running with portraits. I don't even have a real backdrop yet, as I am using a black bed sheet :p. I'll be ordering the backgrounds soon though once I become competent with this kit. Thanks again.

your half photo is probably beacause of light falling on the top part only.

1. you can move the flash further back.
2. buy a larger reflecter to throw more light.
3. take away all reflecter for a bare bulb effect.
4. mount a softbox but take note of distance to subject and adjust if needed.
5. bounce your light off an opposing wall or ceiling. adjust power as required.

EDITED: As KEX pointed out, it may be and probably is that the shutter sync speed is too fast for the flash. The shutter has already started closing when the light came on.

there are many many ways. read up some books on ligthing help a great deal.

you bought a visatec! WOW! from your profile informations, deduce you are in australia. If you are in Singapore, I can always pop by and help you take a look. Have fun experimenting with your light.

Zekai,i hope u know wad u are talking..

Are u sure that is the cause ?

kex said:
Zekai,i hope u know wad u are talking..

Are u sure that is the cause ?

of course there may be other reason, i am just stating what came first to my mind. if you have a better idea of what it may be, feel free to post it instead of being so antagonistic.

look, i have no intention of pitting what i know with yours. I respect your own command of photography skills but i do not see the reason why you always take things as challenges against you.

This thread is for the benefit of tangles112 not to debate on who know the ultimate lighting setup.

zekai said:
of course there may be other reason, i am just stating what came first to my mind. if you have a better idea of what it may be, feel free to post it instead of being so antagonistic.

look, i have no intention of pitting what i know with yours. I respect your own command of photography skills but i do not see the reason why you always take things as challenges against you.

This thread is for the benefit of tangles112 not to debate on who know the ultimate lighting setup.

i have nothing against u,and i'm not suggesting any lighting setup for tangles112 nor am i taking things as a challenge to me.
Did i disagree anything to those who posted on this thread as well ?
i'm 100% sure those ½ image is caused by wrong X speed.
If u do not know anything about flash,pls do not try to act like one.

U making urself looking like a fool.

If u know nutz,pls keep quiet.

kex said:
i have nothing against u,and i'm not suggesting any lighting setup for tangles112 nor am i taking things as a challenge to me.
Did i disagree anything to those who posted on this thread as well ?
i'm 100% sure those ½ image is caused by wrong X speed.
If u do not know anything about flash,pls do not try to act like one.

U making urself looking like a fool.

If u know nutz,pls keep quiet.

you have a point if what you say is right. I have no problem with that

But i do not see why i should keep quiet. i am offering my suggestion on possible solutions. granted that i may be wrong, this not your forum to dictate who to post and who not to post.

And who is the one insinuating people are fool. i have no problem with making mistake but you obviously have an ego problem.

then y get so agitated when i ask u whther u are sure of wad u are talking in the 1st place ?
I can't post ?
U obviously know nutz about photography.

i am upset because you could have just point out which part i am wrong and what is right instead of asking if i am sure.... How productive is that? you are just a troll.

i may not be sure what were your exact intention as the net do mask many attributing factors in communication. if you get angry response from anyone, look at yourself in the mirror and see if you are perfect.

Of course I do not know everything about photography, i just shared what I know. Granted that i may be wrong, thanks to the person who point us in the right direction. I have no probelm.

From your reply however it do seems that you think you know everything about flash photography. I am not going to dispute that, you are entitled to you own opinions as much as i am entitled to mine.

As little as i know about photography, the same for your social skills.

zekai said:
i am upset because you could have just point out which part i am wrong and what is right instead of asking if i am sure.... How productive is that? you are just a troll.

i may not be sure what were your exact intention as the net do mask many attributing factors in communication. if you get angry response from anyone, look at yourself in the mirror and see if you are perfect.

Of course I do not know everything about photography, i just shared what I know. Granted that i may be wrong, thanks to the person who point us in the right direction. I have no probelm.

From your reply however it do seems that you think you know everything about flash photography. I am not going to dispute that, you are entitled to you own opinions as much as i am entitled to mine.

As little as i know about photography, the same for your social skills.

What's wrong with asking u whether u are sure with ur own answer anot ?
i'm just trying to let u have a chance to explain ur reason.
I pointed out ur mistake but u do not seem appreciative at all.
I do not know everything about flash,But i'm very sure wad causes the black images.that;s y i decided to give comments.
U do not even know aad u are talking about and start giving advices which i think u need them more.

If u can't give constructive advices,wouldn't it be better to let other;s who know better comment?rather than giving rubbish reasons to confuse the thread starter?

Let others who read this thread decide who is the troll instead.

After your explanation on the sync speed, it made a lot of sense to me but what make you think I do not know what i am talking about.

I did have a situation where my light was falling unevenly, that was how i came to the conclusion. sometimes i bounce wrongly, too near or its just the barn door. If i was to post the same question with the same symptons, underexposure at the bottome half. You are so sure it is defintely the sync speed. I am posting a possible soution to what I believe happen in my head. Am i wrong to discuss my findings?

Granted we start on the wrong foot, i believe you have the interest of tangles112 but is it suffice to insinuate people are fools and that only you know the answer. Let tangles112 decide if i am giving rubbish reasons.

Uneven exposure and black image are 2 different thing..

Which part of tangle112 question did he mention uneven exposure ?

Have edited my post. Agree with Kex explanation if it is not a case of uneven lighting.
I stand by the reasons i gave as I had misinterpreted them as underexposure and in the latter instances is not wrong.

Kex: I do not doubt your experience but believe it does you no harm to stop insinuating people are fools and that anyone know nutz about photography.

Maybe you know more than me, correction is appreciated but not degradatory remarks like fool.

Hi Tangles112,

may i ask what shutter speed, aperture, ISO and setting on the lights did you use?

did you use all 3 lights at one go?

i would suggest that you try shooting with one light first to see the effects you get by placing them at different positions.

for portraits, common position of the light is from the front and 45 degree to the photographers right or left.

one way to learn the positions of the lights is through magazines. look at the people photos you like and look carefully into the eyes of the people in these pictures and you will know where they place the lights to get the desired effects. you can easily tell whether they used 2 lights or one light with relectors etc.

lights can be added. once you overlap the light source your light intensity will change. assuming like you say a total newbie. try one light and get familiar before you start adding more lights. last but not least......shoot a LOT and experience different positions of lighting positions and remember how you get those effects that you like!

zekai said:

i have no intention of pitting my skill against anyone,i asked u whether u are sure that's the cause,but instead of explaining,u started the ball rolling by accusing me of being antagonistic.

U read wrongly,give wrong reasoning and still wanna blame me for pointing out ur mistake.

Perhaps u might wanna check on ur own behaviour 1st.

willyfoo said:
Try lowering your shutter speed...

if I may add, use a smaller F stop(i mean larger F stop number eg from F8 to F11 or F16, as an example)

To determine the source of your problem, try this first in the absence of a flashmeter properly used.

You guys were right, it was my shutter speed...plus I had the god dam light sensitivity up to 1600 which didnt help one bit. Now that's all fixed I'm messing around with colour temperatures and contrast. I only have a black bed sheet as my background at the moment, and one annoying brother for a subject. But I think I'm getting the hang of it. I think 600w, 300w and 150w is a little too much for my tiny little room, so I might face the bigger flash backwards and bounce it off a white sheet or something to give a nice fill light. now I just need a bigger room for my photography :p. My dad is hating me as I've taken up his whole bar room with my cords and flashes. I have now set the shutter speed to 125 and 180/sec so it's giving a nice even spread of image now. I'm still experimenting with the very limited light diffusing tools I have (two 60cmx60cm softboxes, 2 standard reflectors + diffuser and a set of 3 honeycomb reflectors). Thanks for all the advice guys, you have given me a wealth of knowledge compared to what I knew a few hours ago. As things progress, I'll update you all and show you some basic pics i will have taken. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.