Profession

Learnphotography

Apr 18, 2009
Singapore
Please comment so that I know the flaw, room for improvement and what is good.

This image is an artist. I try my best to show all his work as the background while fitting myself in the crowd. the artist himself is slightly dark becoz i want to show what he is doing not his face.
img9125d.jpg

1. In which area is critique or feedback to be given?
Composition Only

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
This image is an artist. I try my best to show all his art works as the background while fitting myself in the crowd. What I want to achieve is to show his profile (profession)

3. Under what circumstance was the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
The picture was taken at chinatown 7pm

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I do not know because I'm not confident in street photos

Allow me to comment on your work. Personally, I would prefer to have the artist right shoulder/arm uncut and more space on the left of the pic. Also, find artist underexposed and face is hidden by the cap.

Last edited:
Good: To me the picture gives a clear idea of his profession due to his works at the background. Can sense the artist was very focused in drawing.

Queries: So your main 'subject' is the piece of art he is working now or background works or the artist? From the picture it seems to me that the main subject is the artist but you mentioned that he isn't the main subject hence you 'darkened' him.

Suggestion: I am a noob in street photography but if the situation allows, maybe you can try shoot from other angles, say from a lower angle up to show more of his hand posed for drawing or the focused expression of the artist drawing with the background works. Or if you want to focus on the work he is working then maybe you can shoot at a higher angle down showing his hand working on that piece of art.

To me, the thing that tells me his profession (your main theme) is either the background pieces or his hand that was drawing, not his body so I might choose to emphasize on either of these.

I think it's due to tight space available, it might not be easy to move around to get various angle shots.

Just personal thoughts, thanks.

Last edited:
If I want to show what he was doing then I would focus on his hands and the drawing only. The rest of the subject will be considering distraction.

agree. i think the viewer's attention is constantly shifting back and forth between the artist and his works, making you feel very uneasy. perhaps you might want to use the rule of golden proportions to sort this out http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_ratio

that way you'd have a clearer sense of which is the subject and which is the background

If I want to show what he was doing then I would focus on his hands and the drawing only. The rest of the subject will be considering distraction.

Please comment so that I know the flaw, room for improvement and what is good.

2. What were you hoping to achieve with this image?
This image is an artist. I try my best to show all his art works as the background while fitting myself in the crowd. What I want to achieve is to show his profile (profession)

4. Thread-starter's personal thoughts about the image.
I do not know because I'm not confident in street photos

Couple of my thoughts on your pic...

A. At a glance, I like the idea of having the portrait drawings as the backdrop, as it does show the profession of the main subject.

B. However, after staring at the details, I can't see the relevance between these drawings in the backdrop to what he was actually sketching. Seems to me that the latter was a more graphical picture (calligraphy?) and not a portrait (based on my understanding of how a portrait is being drawn up).

C. I am also unable to determine, from the photo, his method of painting/drawing. My impression is he was using his thumb to paint, in which case, there is no correlation with the backdrop drawings (hardly look like finger paintings to me).

While I could be wrong with point B and C (feel free to correct me), these observations make it hard for me to establish the linkage you were hoping to achieve, as mentioned in your point #2. There are a few more details that indicate he might not be the one who paints the portraits (eg. paper dimension, gap between the 2 tables in the photo), although not ruling out that he could be a multi-talented artist.

Cheers