product watch shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

tionghan

May 6, 2007
first attempt to shot product
pls comment on exposure, composition, etc..
thanks a lot
663510465_2a2d33d4a2.jpg

first attempt to shot product
pls comment on exposure, composition, etc..
thanks a lot
663510465_2a2d33d4a2.jpg

hmm... here goes, the colour cast seems too warm (personal preferances), the wordings on the dial are not sharp, do adjust the angle taking the shot as the magnifying glass at the date seems distracting, do orientate the bezel to the actual position, do also remove any dirt on the watch before photo taking, last but not least sprinkle some water on the watch to add some zest to the pic (personal liking). anyway shoot more and find out the best shot tat works to ur liking most, look at international watch magazine ads and get some ideas.. dun fell discouraged thou.. ;)

hmm... here goes, the colour cast seems too warm (personal preferances), the wordings on the dial are not sharp, do adjust the angle taking the shot as the magnifying glass at the date seems distracting, do orientate the bezel to the actual position, do also remove any dirt on the watch before photo taking, last but not least sprinkle some water on the watch to add some zest to the pic (personal liking). anyway shoot more and find out the best shot tat works to ur liking most, look at international watch magazine ads and get some ideas.. dun fell discouraged thou.. ;)
noted .. i like the idea of sprinkle water too :D
shall try again sometime
thanks

I believe its not a green release of the Explorer II like in the Green Submariner ? :)

You might also want to have a softer light source as harsh light source reveals the scratches on your Explorer II.

For the water effect ,as it will defeat the 'essence' of an Explorer II I believe it will not be appropriate [unless you really like it]

For Explorer series , I might put some adventure gear around it ie compass to strengthen the character of the Explorer II [that's why they give a small anchor for every Submariner imo :) ]

ummm when u wanna do a shot on the watch. the time should always be 10:10 am/pm

go check out the watch mags and sites. its all the same!

you are also missing the bracelet which is also place an important part.
do you want to buy watch with bracelet each sold separately? :bsmilie:

cheers

thats right man... it is all at 1010.. thanks for sharing this

aahah..
thast something enlightening!
its either 10.10, 2.50 or 10.35.
minute hand and hour hand always perpendicular to each other! :D

aahah..
thast something enlightening!
its either 10.10, 2.50 or 10.35.
minute hand and hour hand always perpendicular to each other! :D
The reason the majority of watch shots have the hands at 10:10 is because one shouldn't have the hour and minute hands obscure the brand name. People buy watches based on the brand, so the brand name must be legible. Focus is off & you've not managed to control the specular highlights. You've also shot at an angle, refer to the date window. Better to shoot it at an axis perpendicular to camera so the proportions look right.

The reason the majority of watch shots have the hands at 10:10 is because one shouldn't have the hour and minute hands obscure the brand name. People buy watches based on the brand, so the brand name must be legible. Focus is off & you've not managed to control the specular highlights. You've also shot at an angle, refer to the date window. Better to shoot it at an axis perpendicular to camera so the proportions look right.

got it ..;)
one question :
is the placement of the item eg this watch..(the location of the pic above is actually my desk and in the center of the blue mousepad) what should be a good background or better location specified for shooting products?

Actually, any background can work, it depends on what you want to convey. Paper, perspex, felt, slate, pebbles, gunny sack, wood, sand, matting etc. are some examples.

Used to do lots of still life and product shots in the past.
Here's a summary of how I set up a still life shot.

1) Look and examine the object or objects to find a distinctive quality about it (eg. shape of a vase, colour, texture, etc.). Decide what would work in terms of camera angle, focal length and lighting and the kind of background or props that will help to make the object to be photographed stand out.
2) Set up props to go with object. Select background or setting.
3) Make initial informal arrangement with emphasis on main subject
4) Play around with lighting combinations
5) Position camera
6) Finalise composition
7) Final adjustments to camera angle
8) Final lighting adjustments

got it ..;)
one question :
is the placement of the item eg this watch..(the location of the pic above is actually my desk and in the center of the blue mousepad) what should be a good background or better location specified for shooting products?

location wise it pretty much depends on ur creativity, theres no such thing as good background or better location, it all depends on the kind of shot ur achieving, for example placing the watch on a ground of pebbles and sprinkling some water on it to give it the wet look.

The wet effect is better with glycerin rather than with water. Water evaporates quickly and doesn't quite give the nice wet look.

most of the pts are covered.. like placement of the hands, obscuring of brand name. lighting wise, shd be more diffused. Composition wise, not likely the manufacturer will like to see "1/2" the watch, cropping the bracelet part is ok but not the face of the watch.

Also, date not very visible as i guess u are shoot at an angle instead of directly above the watch. Also, make sure the watch is nice and clean, no finger marks etc..which i thnk u haev done well.

For inspiration, go check out the rolex website:p

Status
Not open for further replies.