Product Shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

KCLow

Nov 14, 2004
Shooting some products shots for my business. Please give advice on what I should do to improve it further. Many Thanks. KC

SJP003MEDIUM.jpg

think nothing to complain much about, just the sunglass seem to not fit the antique thingy...

u used magic wand to remove the background rite... think you have to do a better job on that as well...

Actually I used levels to remove the white background. You are right about the glasses, I am thinking of what to use that gives scale and yet matched the theme. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

KCLow said:
Actually I used levels to remove the white background. You are right about the glasses, I am thinking of what to use that gives scale and yet matched the theme. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

use ruler... those old kind... u know ppl go cut cloth kind? those are best gauge... since antique mah...

else get some antique like those rock hard pillow... those ppl aga know how big liao wat...

eh pay me consultation fee liao... :bsmilie:

KCLow said:
Shooting some products shots for my business. Please give advice on what I should do to improve it further.

I'd take the picture from further away to get a more neutral perspective, similar to portraits.

The chest could also use a bit more even lighting. The top is a bit dark, and the glare on the front is not very uniform.

A product should show three surfaces, lighting should be top down, so the top is lighter/brighter then the sides, 3 surface should 3 different tones, and it will look more 3D.

Using a mirror or reflector to give highlight on the belt and buckle.

And also using longer focal length to shoot product, so less distortion, if you don’t have the longer lens, shoot it vertical but only frame the product at the bottom of the picture (lower halve of the picture) crop it during post production.

Hope this help

Are you selling the chest or the sunglasses?:think:

i would suggest that you shoot in incadescent light with a strong yellow cast, have a nice satin/velvet background with some folds, use a candle/oil lamp or any such object to give scale and shoot from further afar to reduce the wide angle distortions. the main thing is that with antiques, you dont want to remove it out of context and shoot on a neutral background. it loses all its charm.

kashi

catchlights said:
A product should show three surfaces, lighting should be top down, so the top is lighter/brighter then the sides, 3 surface should 3 different tones, and it will look more 3D.

Using a mirror or reflector to give highlight on the belt and buckle.

And also using longer focal length to shoot product, so less distortion, if you don’t have the longer lens, shoot it vertical but only frame the product at the bottom of the picture (lower halve of the picture) crop it during post production.

Hope this help

Thank you! Very Good feedback. Will try to shoot again.:thumbsup:

vkashi said:
i would suggest that you shoot in incadescent light with a strong yellow cast, have a nice satin/velvet background with some folds, use a candle/oil lamp or any such object to give scale and shoot from further afar to reduce the wide angle distortions. the main thing is that with antiques, you dont want to remove it out of context and shoot on a neutral background. it loses all its charm.

kashi

Hmm, The oil lamp idea sounds good. Looks like will have to source it. I initially tried shooting on a dark velvet background, but felt that the chest seems to blend into it rather than stand out.

Status
Not open for further replies.