Product Shots using Halogen lights

Status
Not open for further replies.

zipper

May 27, 2003
Singapore
Visit site
Learning product shots using cheap halogen lights... still thinking how to avoid the horizontal line between the mirror and backdrop. Well, here are some of my results, please comment. And sorry forgot to clean the cup and plates...hehe..

faf5ca3e.jpg

faf5ca09.jpg

faf5c9e1.jpg

faf5c9ab.jpg

faf5c8f8.jpg

faf5c831.jpg

faf5c999.jpg

most of ur plates and cups cannot leh brother... u have to try and move the lights closer to beat off the harshness of the shadows... well since u said product shot... and the subjects happen to be something that i'm familiar working with(heh heh, i clean dishes for a living...)...

ur product must be well lit and so much harsh shadows on the sides of it will only 'diminish' ur product.

unless it is a conceptual product shot where u can play afool with the lightings and set-ups, which in this case plainly isn't. thus........

bring the lights up closer and shine onto the darken areas of the plates and tea cups. and yes, the reflection looks nice but not effective in product shots.

Move the backdrop further away from the mirror? You might have to pump up the lighting on the backdrop after that.

sadness said:
most of ur plates and cups cannot leh brother... u have to try and move the lights closer to beat off the harshness of the shadows... well since u said product shot... and the subjects happen to be something that i'm familiar working with(heh heh, i clean dishes for a living...)...

ur product must be well lit and so much harsh shadows on the sides of it will only 'diminish' ur product.

unless it is a conceptual product shot where u can play afool with the lightings and set-ups, which in this case plainly isn't. thus........

bring the lights up closer and shine onto the darken areas of the plates and tea cups. and yes, the reflection looks nice but not effective in product shots.

Err... moving the lights closer...hmm... I was using 2 500W halogen lights, one 45 - 90 degrees to the subject and the other pointing at the backdrop, and the 2 lights were less than 6 inches away from the subject!! Well, as I mentioned, it was a cheapo lights I had used... can't expect a results from pro lights equipments.

But definitely your points are rights that the subject was not well lit...will try again without the mirror...

Thanks

MoriMori said:
Move the backdrop further away from the mirror? You might have to pump up the lighting on the backdrop after that.

Err... just playing with 2 500w halogen lights...

Status
Not open for further replies.