Product Shoot

Status
Not open for further replies.

Icedheat

Dec 19, 2008
I'm looking to shoot small products(about the size of handphone) and considering to use a light tent. Current i have 2 lens, 50mm f1.4 and 17-85mm f4.5-5.6

Is this two lens sufficient for the job?

Yes... get good lighting as well....

I'm looking to shoot small products(about the size of handphone) and considering to use a light tent. Current i have 2 lens, 50mm f1.4 and 17-85mm f4.5-5.6

These 2 lenses are more than enough... but what you really need is good lighting.

There are some continuous lighting equipment on sale in the mass sale section, or you can go to Ikea and buy the cheap lamp holder, and then go to a supermarket to get the most powerful white light bulb. This is what I started with. Another way is to get multiple flash/strobes.

Lighting makes the world of difference when taking photos.

ohhh.....lighting..

Is there somewhere i can read about how i should place the lighting and how should it be done??

ohhh.....lighting..

Is there somewhere i can read about how i should place the lighting and how should it be done??

This is best done via books and practise....;)

This is one whole area on its own.

ohhh.....lighting..

Like zac08 said... lighting is a whole area on its own... and for me, there is so much to learn about lighting. When I started out, what I did mainly was trial and error... so some shots turned out ok, some didn't... but don't give up ;)

I currently use a pair of matching strobes, one on each side about 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock from my cam position with a much lower powered strobe behind from top to light up background. 50mm in a small light tent should be enough but stop down as much as you can if you are going for overall sharpness. I also find that elevating your product with a sheet of glass on some form of stands also works really well. No shadows on glass.

IKEA sells goo table light, $8 each. I jus bought 2 sets and it pairs with a 40cm light tent well enough. =)

IKEA sells goo table light, $8 each. I jus bought 2 sets and it pairs with a 40cm light tent well enough. =)

Just remember to set the manual white balance or correct it later if shooting RAW.

Status
Not open for further replies.