Product Shoot: Rolex Submariner

Status
Not open for further replies.

marcwang

Jan 9, 2003
East Singapore
www.pbase.com
Hello there,

Here;s a shoot on the watch. WHats your take ?

39823206.jpg

:think:

Ermm, i thought usually product shots of watches tend to have the time set to 10:10? :dunno:

seems that the highlights at the bottom half are stronger than those at upper half of the watch.

I also think that the time set to 10:10 is best, maybe with the second hand at the 9-o'clock position so ti doesn't obscure anything.

One thing I would not mind seeing is the watch on a surface at a 45-degree angle, with some creative lighting to cast shadows. What you have is a nice image, but a bit stark for me. Something akin to doing a product shoot of a car from head-on or side-on, you know what I mean ? Having the car at an angle is sometimes more appealing.

ericp said:
I also think that the time set to 10:10 is best, maybe with the second hand at the 9-o'clock position so ti doesn't obscure anything.

One thing I would not mind seeing is the watch on a surface at a 45-degree angle, with some creative lighting to cast shadows. What you have is a nice image, but a bit stark for me. Something akin to doing a product shoot of a car from head-on or side-on, you know what I mean ? Having the car at an angle is sometimes more appealing.

I agree 10:10 is the best. With the time that you have there, at a glance the pic of the watch looks tilted, because the eye focuses on the hands first.

:)

wau... so many replies in an hour. I will take note of the little things that you have mentioned.

I guess its time for a reshoot .. and off it goes into the recycle bin.

I agree that 10:10 is a better time. The Hour hand has covered the Rolex and the minute hand has covered Submariner. Lighting is uneven with more exposure at the bottom then the top. In fact, I think some of the highlights might be blown. Left top bezzel has lost all detail. You'd need some light there as well as some DOF.... Bottom of bracelet strap is slightly blur... possibly due to not enough DOF also...

Ok, that's about it... Your concept is ok...
;)

Zplus said:
I agree that 10:10 is a better time. The Hour hand has covered the Rolex and the minute hand has covered Submariner. Lighting is uneven with more exposure at the bottom then the top. In fact, I think some of the highlights might be blown. Left top bezzel has lost all detail. You'd need some light there as well as some DOF.... Bottom of bracelet strap is slightly blur... possibly due to not enough DOF also...

Ok, that's about it... Your concept is ok...
;)

Date set to "28". Second hand at about 42 sec just about to clear the wordings.

the selling point is less then 50% because the visual of that image is not really strong enough to let buyer interested to take a 2nd or long stare.... Do some research on Tag's ad and omega's ad you will know why :)

Just adding u covered the most important area "THE BRAND" & "THE THEME" of the object

I feel that more details can add to the watch itself, like droplets of the round screen since the model of watch is of the marine theme. I also notice that the bottom of the watch have some reflection of the surrounding. Hope that helps.........Cheers.... :)

Status
Not open for further replies.