Product shoot need help a.s.a.p.

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewReimer

Feb 6, 2009
Hi Guys,

Newbie here. I've been asked to do a shoot for a company. The company makes toilets and I've been asked to shoot a few of their products (low flow models etc). I have access to a studio, lights (3 strobes - not too sure of their output) soft box fitting, reflectors, etc as well as my own gear.

What I'm looking for is a lighting set up. I have a general knowledge but have never photographed anything like this before. I only have a few hours to get this right and I don't want to mess it up. I was wondering if anyone had any tips for shooting the white shiny surface?

Thanks

well, simple, unless the toilet bowl is those stainless steel / chrome ones, else those ceramics kind won't even need any special precautions.

you have to think what kinda background you have or the conditions. 3 light setting to any product shooter should be the essential. you have to think if you have a boom available now.

if your softbox is too small, then you are better off without them. if can setup in a small room, then make sure the room is white. use it as a light tent. then bounce the light around.

I have 1 boom and the softbox is about 4' x 5'.
I'm hoping to use an all white background, looking at buying some cheap white linolium flooring and turning it over to the white side. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of (i.e. blown out highlights). Like I said, I've never done this before

similar to wad Del mentioned, if there's reflective surfaces, you need to be careful of what it reflects at its angles of incidence especially if there's any convex area ie outward curving which may behave like a fisheye

I have 1 boom and the softbox is about 4' x 5'.
I'm hoping to use an all white background, looking at buying some cheap white linolium flooring and turning it over to the white side. If anyone has a better idea please let me know.

I'm just wondering if there is anything I should be aware of (i.e. blown out highlights). Like I said, I've never done this before

hmm, consider hiring someone to teach u? :bsmilie:

cos all i can do is say, i can't really spoonfeed another professional, esp when i'm not... i'm only an enthusiast...

most of the things are already there, if you have used strobes before, it shouldn't be difficult.

I don't think it's possible for anyone to "explain " to you over the net on how to shoot something like this, we have not seen the product, don't know the surface texture, etc. About the only thing we can say is this.
You want to shoot a white, reflective product on white background. You have to create some highlight and shadows to give it the 3D feel as well as to show the shape and curves of the product. Highlights must not be blown while shadows must still gives the impression that the surface is white and not grey. Reflective surface must show reflection and not not just a white surface ( which looks like just a hot spot ).

There's no "standard" lighting set up for this kind of shoot. You have to look at the product, study the shape and reflection and base your lighting on it and what you want to achive.

Just make sure it's clean and not used before. ;)

I don't think it's possible for anyone to "explain " to you over the net on how to shoot something like this, we have not seen the product, don't know the surface texture, etc. About the only thing we can say is this.
You want to shoot a white, reflective product on white background. You have to create some highlight and shadows to give it the 3D feel as well as to show the shape and curves of the product. Highlights must not be blown while shadows must still gives the impression that the surface is white and not grey. Reflective surface must show reflection and not not just a white surface ( which looks like just a hot spot ).

There's no "standard" lighting set up for this kind of shoot. You have to look at the product, study the shape and reflection and base your lighting on it and what you want to achive.

Hire this person to shoot... :cool:

its a toilet.

I take it a theme is there, since you have no experience in toilet photos then no choice but to look for inspiration from other works..

Status
Not open for further replies.