Product Photography with Clean White background

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rishoo

Jun 23, 2009
Hi There

I seriously need help on how to take product pictures with clean white background for my work. I am using 500D (just bought it) with 18-55mm lens. Now I think I need to get light tent and lights to build a small studio. Can anyone help to recommend me a kit to buy?

And when I take pictures of the product, some parts of the picture is not focused. Why?
I was using Auto mode as I have zero knowledge in photography. And advice please?

Hi There

I seriously need help on how to take product pictures with clean white background for my work. I am using 500D (just bought it) with 18-55mm lens. Now I think I need to get light tent and lights to build a small studio. Can anyone help to recommend me a kit to buy?

And when I take pictures of the product, some parts of the picture is not focused. Why?
I was using Auto mode as I have zero knowledge in photography. And advice please?

time to read up on basic photography then.

there are loads of tutorials, either online on in the library. google "basic product photography".

for focus, this is due to depth of field. google "depth of field"..

why i ask you to google, not because i lazy to spoonfeed. if i want to, i can write 8 pages long.. but it will not be written properly. better to find someone who put more time into it to post a properly done up article on the web/book.

In my opinion, all newbies (including me) should focus on learning the basics first like the selection of shutter speed, aperture, metering, composition etc instead of jumping straight into something expert like product photography. u could end up overspending because u do not really know what u need. i suggest u look at the section "abstracts' to learn more from the guys there. many of them are able to take fantastic pictures of items w/o a studio. No offence but this is a hobby which requires lots of dedication and learning, n not throwing money around hoping the best gear will get u results :)

Hi There

my advice would be to up your knowledge from zero first

my advice would be to up your knowledge from zero first

+1 for this. It will also make you ask the "right" questions and not just any. ;)

Thank you everyone for the replies.

I am still brushing up my basic knowledge of course but due to my work urgency I need to "jump into" product photography ASAP. I am sure I not not wasting any money to splurge on best gear. I have made a DIY light box with Ikea lamp but the effect is not so perfect. Hence I know I need better lights to eliminate shadows.

When I tried using macro, not the whole product is in "detail". That's why i change to automode.

anyway thanks again for the advice.

When I tried using macro, not the whole product is in "detail". That's why i change to automode.

With some basic knowledge you'll be able to analyze and understand what the camera does in both modes and how it affected your images. From there you can start using the Creative Modes. You can still check the details of previously taken photo in Exif data.

Then i suggest u get 'the digital photography book volume 1 and 2 by scott kelby. its a very straightforward and concise book on 'how' to get the kind of picture u want, skipping much of the theory behind it, since u are rushing for your work. its very easy to understand and u can easily find it in our national libraries! good luck with ur work!

Status
Not open for further replies.