Product photography - Seiko 5 mechanical watch

wangxu94

Nov 17, 2011
Christchurch, New Zealand
wangxu94

6500584917_1f593c6861_z.jpg

1. in what area is critique to be sought?
Lighting and composition

2. what one hopes to achieve with the piece of work?
Hope to make the product look attractive, and to experiment with lighting. I'm mainly a landscape photographer, with little experience in other types of photography. I personally like a dark contrast-y look, and would like to see everyone's opinions on this. :)

3. under what circumstance is the picture taken? (physical conditions/emotions)
I'm working with a very cheap setup. Lighting was done with two torchlights, and this was shot with my 70-300 Sigma lens

4. what the critique seeker personally thinks of the picture
I personally think it's pretty good. Like mentioned above, I personally like this kind of lighting. Not sure if it will be popular with others, though.

Last edited:
I like Seiko watches. I own a few Seiko watches. (People find it strange as I'm only in the 20s) :)

But I think most of the photo are on the strap and not the face. So you can try a more close-up on the face of the watch.
Also, can wait about 2 secs more to snap the photo, so that the second hand will not block the date.

Hope you don't mind my comments. Just my thought as a Seiko watch lover. ;)

Last edited:
I like Seiko watches. I own a few Seiko watches. (People find it strange as I'm only in the 20s) :)

But I think most of the photo are on the strap and not the face. So you can try a more close-up on the face of the watch.
Also, can wait about 2 secs more to snap the photo, so that the second hand will not block the date.

ur not the only one :) i have a seiko also. pretty old... its an automatic. i like how it doesn't need a battery to work.

i prefer having both the strap + the face really hmm.

Last edited:
just a little tip. Set the hour hand to 10 and minutes to 2. Thats what most watch ads do. It somehow looks abit more pleasing.

i love seiko watches too... compared to other brands, it's not too pricey yet the design is very contemporary and nice!

Haha thanks for the comments :) I included more of the strap because I wanted the bokeh from the reflections. Oh and that's a great point about the second hand blocking the date. Thanks for that :D

just a little tip. Set the hour hand to 10 and minutes to 2. Thats what most watch ads do. It somehow looks abit more pleasing.
Oh yea that's a great tip. Thanks! :)

Last edited:
I like. Good shot.

Shadows a bit too deep.

I would prefer a dash more light camera left to light up the upper left of the watch case. Too dark for me IMHO.

6500584917_1f593c6861_z.jpg

Lighting and composition

Hope to make the product look attractive, and to experiment with lighting. I'm mainly a landscape photographer, with little experience in other types of photography. I personally like a dark contrast-y look, and would like to see everyone's opinions on this.

I'm working with a very cheap setup. Lighting was done with two torchlights, and this was shot with my 70-300 Sigma lens

I personally think it's pretty good. Like mentioned above, I personally like this kind of lighting. Not sure if it will be popular with others, though.

Well, since you've mentioned your preference of "dark-contrasty-look", but for a WATCH
light.gif
shot as per your Thread-Title...is it way too dark to even properly show the 'Face' of the watch and not in an appropriately angled as well...!! Of cause, the 'Time' = hour, minute and seconds hand were not adjusted as so called known for 'Watch-Ads' position.....
light.gif
should be 10:08/09 and seconds-hand it's very subjective to what's written/engraved on the 'facade' of a Watch, if you're a frequent Watch photographer, you'll soon realized that especially nowadays Watches come in many sort of designs...hence, printed/engraved wordings/text on the 'facade' one will as far as possible try :light:NOT-to-Block any of these VIP &/or Logos/texts by the 'Hand/s'...understand/see that, bro/s...!!!;)

Pls refer only as a side note to : Post#94=The 'Before & After' on Page-5 of my 'Figurines and Collectilbes' under 'Absract and Still Life' Section, cos that is just a 'TEST-shot'of SONY-TX5-macro feature, thus, the Hour, minute and seconds Hands were all not adjusted as per 'Standand'-practice...!!!

Last edited:
Well, since you've mentioned your preference of "dark-contrasty-look", but for a WATCH
light.gif
shot as per your Thread-Title...is it way too dark to even properly show the 'Face' of the watch and not in an appropriately angled as well...!! Of cause, the 'Time' = hour, minute and seconds hand were not adjusted as so called known for 'Watch-Ads' position.....
light.gif
should be 10:08/09 and seconds-hand it's very subjective to what's written/engraved on the 'facade' of a Watch, if you're a frequent Watch photographer, you'll soon realized that especially nowadays Watches come in many sort of designs...hence, printed/engraved wordings/text on the 'facade' one will as far as possible try :light:NOT-to-Block any of these VIP &/or Logos/texts by the 'Hand/s'...understand/see that, bro/s...!!!;)

Pls refer only as a side note to : Post#94=The 'Before & After' on Page-5 of my 'Figurines and Collectilbes' under 'Absract and Still Life' Section, cos that is just a 'TEST-shot'of SONY-TX5-macro feature, thus, the Hour, minute and seconds Hands were all not adjusted as per 'Standand'-practice...!!!

Thanks for all the advice! :)

wangxu94 said:
Lighting and composition

Hope to make the product look attractive, and to experiment with lighting. I'm mainly a landscape photographer, with little experience in other types of photography. I personally like a dark contrast-y look, and would like to see everyone's opinions on this. :)

I quite like the light and shadow thingy. I think the bokeh is double chesseburger, quite heavy but alright for product.

However i think details of the lower strap are lost due to too much shadow. I guess in product photography, at least the entire product must be visible, so as to resolve cognitive dissonance in most consumers.

My two cents.

I quite like the light and shadow thingy. I think the bokeh is double chesseburger, quite heavy but alright for product.

However i think details of the lower strap are lost due to too much shadow. I guess in product photography, at least the entire product must be visible, so as to resolve cognitive dissonance in most consumers.

My two cents.

Thanks for the comments :) Yea if I try the same shot again I'll have something on the left either to reflect some light back, or maybe another flashlight to fill in the shadows a little. :)