Product (Bird Nest) Shot

Status
Not open for further replies.

amachi

Jul 20, 2009
Any of you ever take pictures of bird nest? Um, as in the product bird nest, not that bird nest usually found on trees :sweat:

A friend of mine asks my help to take pictures of bird nest that she's selling. I never do product shots before, so any suggestions on how to take the pictures so that it looks good, with my available equipments? I have D300, 17-50mm, a 50mm and SB900 in my disposal :)

Go for off-camera flash lighting. If possible, use an umbrella with your strobist setup. Use the 17-50mm and shoot at a smaller aperture. You also need to get a clean backdrop and surface for your shot.

Maybe a small light tent with dark background and off camera flash(es)?

Is your friend expecting 'professional level results'. In that case, the best way is probably to hire a professional.
No budget for that? Then I'd suggest you search around the web for examples of good shots, and work from there. 'Reverse engineer' the shots -- work out how they were done. Pay attention to lighting, background, composition (including props). You don't have to copy the shots -- but you'll get some good ideas. This is all assuming you have some idea of how to control lighting (flash, continuous or ambient). If you don't, it may be a long process of trial and error.
Your equipment has very little to do with it -- you can even use a compact if you know what you're doing. Your current set-up is more than adequate, though an additional slave flash or two might prove useful.

Thanks guys for the input. Too bad my friend cancelled on last minute, otherwise I would have something to show you for some comments and critics.

Status
Not open for further replies.