Processing Print Sizes - 4R

Status
Not open for further replies.

snowspeeder

Feb 16, 2004
www.themenatwork.com
I understand that there are 2 types of 4R prints -- one is the normal ones that fit nicely into photo albums, while the other is the full size print that will include the entire image taken from your digital camera without having some parts of the photo being cut off if printed on normal size.

Was wondering if there's anyway to have them processed on normal sizes (to fit into albums) while including the entire image?

you can ask them to print a white border.

4R prints are 4"x6" in size or of dimensional ratio 4:6. So for any digital image to fit exactly into a 4R print (without cropping and without white borders), they must of necessity be of the same dimensional ratio. It is therefore a physical impossiblity to fit a non-"4x6" ratioed image into a 4R print unless you don't mind the image proportions being distorted, ie squashed horizontally or vertically.

The only way of properly printing a non-"4x6" ratioed image in 4R format is to crop the image into a 4x6 ratio yourself and print that instead.

The risk of cropping to a 4/6 ratio is losing part of the image subject. Perhaps subjects are taken not too close, then followed by the appropriate cropping.

Actually, i think that Sony digital cameras can capture images in the 3:2 ratio, which means that you can print perfect 4R pictures, without worrying about any parts being cut off. I'm not sure that other camera makes have that 3:2 option, but I do know that my cybershot has it and the minilab that I go to need not cut off any part of my photos.

Cheers!

Not too sure about that. I print shop would always advise me to print on full sized 4Rs to avoid cut offs.

there's a 4R fit format. you'll end up with a slightly smaller image with a white border on 2 sides.

basically, it's better to shoot just a bit wider to allow for cropping. you'll lose abt 1cm total, and most labs use common sense when it comes to cropping, so long as u use common sense when shooting.

Status
Not open for further replies.