Problems with smoke in fireworks picture!

nzijun

Apr 28, 2010
www.flickr.com
Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with smoke inside my fireworks pictures taken during NDP (Dunno why humid or what, the smoke didn't dissipate fast enough).

Is there anyone who can provide a tutorial on how to pp the smoke away? I tried with GIMP and screwed up the photo quite a bit -.-"

yeap, that happened to me as well. :dunno: i hope there's smth to rescue these pictures~

Last edited:
Instead of creating new threads and "hoping for a solution", why not try to put some basic basic effort into finding a solution on your own instead of expecting other people to do your research for you? Try a search on here or google for "how to remove smoke from fireworks pictures". Even in google, the first few links will already give you your answers.

Easy, right? No need to ask people to give you a tutorial if you put basic effort into it. FYI, a CS term of use is to search before posting. With all the thousands and thousands of threads and posts, you can believe 100% your question is not a new one (especially since it comes up over and over again at every national day or new years eve for many years now).

Last edited:
Use bulb mode, so the smoke would not be exposed to the sensor. Alternatively, use a black card to block the lens when there is smoke. It's not Photoshop or Gimp, it's you.

Last edited:
Use bulb mode, so the smoke would not be exposed to the sensor. Alternatively, use a black card to block the lens when there is smoke. It's not Photoshop or Gimp, it's you.
:dunno:

don't pull their legs lar....

Hi all, I'm experiencing some problems with smoke inside my fireworks pictures taken during NDP (Dunno why humid or what, the smoke didn't dissipate fast enough).

Is there anyone who can provide a tutorial on how to pp the smoke away? I tried with GIMP and screwed up the photo quite a bit -.-"

yeap, that happened to me as well. :dunno: i hope there's smth to rescue these pictures~
to find the quick answers in CS, just use the search function with keywords "fireworks", "smoke" in thread title search.

you should able to find the answers very fast.

Actually, I did try to search, but me being very new on GIMP, my efforts were quite futile since I got quite confused by the search results. Was hoping someone could provide more comprehensible answers :p

I ended up trying to burn the smoke away using the dodge/burn tool, it worked alright, but the tip of the fireworks seemed somewhat over-contrasted LOL. Aiyah, very frustrated.

Actually, I did try to search, but me being very new on GIMP, my efforts were quite futile since I got quite confused by the search results. Was hoping someone could provide more comprehensible answers :p

I ended up trying to burn the smoke away using the dodge/burn tool, it worked alright, but the tip of the fireworks seemed somewhat over-contrasted LOL. Aiyah, very frustrated.

:nono: Dodge/burn tool is not the right tool. Trying using the Clone/Healing brush instead.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JRF6IIRRZeQ

The video clip is for facial touch up; use the same approach for firework.

I hope you guys somehow got to read these tips before shooting. If not, well, try again during YOG or next year's NDP... ;)

http://www.phototipzone.com/photography/9-tips-for-firework-photography/
Firework Taking Strategy
Although the whole firework show can last for 10-20 minutes, you can only take some great shoots in the first few minutes. The sky will full of smoke after a while, it is hardly to have a good image. You need to setup the equipment, set the correct exposure, set the focus, compose your picture (if you can) before the show starts. Remember, if you miss the first few minutes, you need to wait for next time.

http://www.amateursnapper.com/photography/guide-to-firework-photography
Stay upwind of the fireworks if possible, to avoid smoke blowing towards you during the display and ruining your photos.

Last edited: