Problems with scanning slides

Status
Not open for further replies.

reactan

Jan 2, 2004
Bedok
reactan.instantlogic.com
hi all,

i recently got a batch if slides scanned, but the results didnt turn out to be what i expected. The colors look dull, often kinda dark and there isnt that bright, colors jumping out at you kinda feeling as when i'm viewing them through a light box.

For example:

{5E3A00C0-2C9A-4DA1-91E5-BDD25AFC2492}lg.jpg

Is there anything i can do in photoshop, or while scanning, to get the smae image i see through a light box?

Thanx,
Al

reactan said:
hi all,

i recently got a batch if slides scanned, but the results didnt turn out to be what i expected. The colors look dull, often kinda dark and there isnt that bright, colors jumping out at you kinda feeling as when i'm viewing them through a light box.

For example:

{5E3A00C0-2C9A-4DA1-91E5-BDD25AFC2492}lg.jpg

Is there anything i can do in photoshop, or while scanning, to get the smae image i see through a light box?

Thanx,
Al

What was used to scan the slides?

Pushing the saturation and contrast up in photoshop might get you what you want.

Cheers!

UY79 said:
What was used to scan the slides?

Pushing the saturation and contrast up in photoshop might get you what you want.

Cheers!

Yup,

When I scan my slide will usually increase the saturation levels.

was just foolinf around with it.... found out that punching up the colors (blue and green) help to correc the color, but just cant duplicate the vibrance..

is it always a lost cause when transfering slide to scan/print?

hmm...cosumer scanner, would the one at safra do? havent tried that one before.

reactan said:
hi all,

Thanx,
Al

Everyone seems to be missing the point! This is where 'Levels' comes in to its own..

After scanning, open up Levels from the Adjustments submenu OR even better using Layers select Levels as an adjustment layer.
Now instead of dragging the sliders in to meet the RGB Histogram select each Channel in turn. First Red (Don't worry that the colours start to look strange) - You will note each channel Histogram has a different range - slide in the pointers as usual: then same + Green; Then Blue. This should give you a vastly improved tonal range before you go on to do your normal editing.

Hope this makes sense :) Stroma

Status
Not open for further replies.