Problems with flash exposure using g2 with 420ex in manual mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mystix

Jan 18, 2002
Planet Earth
Visit site
I've read thru the manual and i thought ETTL is supposed to be in effect with 420ex on even if its in M mode?
took a few pics in M mode and when i adjusted the exp to read +-0 and took the shoot, the flash overexposed the shot...had to set -2 flash exposure compensation to help save it but still abit overexposed. in other modes its all ok.
i actually brought the cam down to canon cust svc for them to have a look and they told me theres nothing wrong coz the internal flash is supposed to fire at full strength in M mode.. ok that i know but what about with 420ex on? dun have ettl also?hope its not a camera defect.
can some1 pls advise thanks.

Yah, I had this experience also. I can't quite explain it and I sold away the G2 after about a week of buying it! I'm too used to my Canon film SLR (the functions, performance, etc) that I couldn't get used to the feel of a smaller prosumer camera for serious shooting.

Anyway, although I have no big complaints about the E-TTL in Canon flashes (and I love Canon generally!), I find the flash exposure is not consistent. I have been made to believe that Nikon has a more intelligent and accurate flash system.

I'd certainly like to know the reason(s) too... I'm sure someone else must have experienced your problem too?

On my G1 (not sure about the g2) if I use M mode, the 420ex will fire at full strength. As such I always use Tv mode. Also the AF assist light for the 420ex will not work on my G1. Does it work on the G2?

Mystix :I believe its normal that flash blasted fully when in manual.

Camerakit: G2 also doesn't use the AF on the 420ex. ..

hmmm so many G2 user here can answer wat..... I dun own a G2 so can someone correct me.:what:

Status
Not open for further replies.