Problems with Flare

Status
Not open for further replies.

jeremyteocx

Dec 28, 2008
Singapore
Hi guys ... need you advice on this. Took some pictures at Fort Canning and realised that there were many green spots (or flares) when I take pictures of bright lights. Example below. Any advice I can go about this? Do I use filters, and are they the only solution? Thanks!

IMG_01951.JPG

Did you have any filters on your lens when you take this shot? If yes, the try removing it to see if it helps.

what lens are u using?
Do u have a hood?

Nope no filters, no hood and i'm still new and trying out a Kit 18-55 lense ... i was wondering if filters would actually reduce the flare? or is there something wrong with my lense? :p

what lens are u using?
Do u have a hood?

Hood won't help in this situation.

It's just lens design. There's a good reason why premium lenses, with high-end antireflective coatings, cost a lot.

since you are shooting directly into lights, with no filters already, there isn't a lot you can possibly do. :(

oh dear, time to buy new and better lense? :p

I suggest that you practice a bit more with the lens. Forget the flare. Even the best lenses will find this kind of shots tricky. Shoot something else :)

Hmm, send it to SPI, those are ghost orbs! Just kidding, if you really don't like the flare there is a way to minimise it, get a star filter which will make the points of light into stars. It will make the flare also smaller and less obvious.

As an alternative to purchasing an expensive pro zoom lens, you can always consider getting a cheaper prime lens instead.

In general, prime lenses with their simpler designs, have less lens elements/groups and are therefore less likely to suffer from lens flare as compared with zoom lenses.

jeremy, i suspect you are shooting with a wide aperture (like around 5.6 or bigger). Try shooting the shot again with smaller aperture (like 11 or 16). This will mean lower shutter speed (use tripod) or higher ISO.
I expect the flare will be reduced significantly.
try and let me know if this works.
fred

jeremy, i suspect you are shooting with a wide aperture (like around 5.6 or bigger). Try shooting the shot again with smaller aperture (like 11 or 16). This will mean lower shutter speed (use tripod) or higher ISO.
I expect the flare will be reduced significantly.
try and let me know if this works.
fred

hi fred, thanks for the advice. but i have tried shots at f8, f11 and f16 with tripod already, and they all come up with flare. i dun think higher ISO will be needed here because I used a tripod and don't need faster shots. thanks anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.