Problems with 2Wire modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Phildate

My modem got fried last Wednesday and finally I got around to taking it back to the manufacturers yesterday. Before that I had spent a fair bit of time on the phone to Singnet and even had a wasted afternoon waiting for the technician who tested the line and found it ok.

So yesterday I took the modem (2Wire 2700HG) back to Playfair Road (damn bad traffic around there) where they tested it, agreed it was faulty and replaced with a new one. Then guess what? Last night that got fried too, so it was back there again today to get ANOTHER new one. So much wasted time and I'm worried that this one won't last long either. Seemed to be a lot of activity on their phone hotline and a stream of people coming in to replace their modem. Just wondering if any other CSers have had modem trouble?

Phildate said:
My modem got fried last Wednesday and finally I got around to taking it back to the manufacturers yesterday. Before that I had spent a fair bit of time on the phone to Singnet and even had a wasted afternoon waiting for the technician who tested the line and found it ok.

So yesterday I took the modem (2Wire 2700HG) back to Playfair Road (damn bad traffic around there) where they tested it, agreed it was faulty and replaced with a new one. Then guess what? Last night that got fried too, so it was back there again today to get ANOTHER new one. So much wasted time and I'm worried that this one won't last long either. Seemed to be a lot of activity on their phone hotline and a stream of people coming in to replace their modem. Just wondering if any other CSers have had modem trouble?

This 2Wire 2700HG i'd say is a "kua heng suay" modem.

Friend also replaced 2. He also went down twice the Malifax.

The wireless connection constantly drops if you leave it running overnight. Doing a firmware flash at 1 time also killed it instantly (firmware was from Malifax themselves).

These experiences already shaken me so much that if i migrate to ADSL 2 ... i'm not sure whether to use their provided modem or just head out to purchase 1 from Cisco and solve all my problems :rolleyes:

Mine's a paper weight now. :bsmilie:

Which modem would you recommend instead?? Sure this new one won't last long although I have surge protection on the power supply and the phone line now. I'll give it a week!!

Phildate said:
Which modem would you recommend instead?? Sure this new one won't last long although I have surge protection on the power supply and the phone line now. I'll give it a week!!

I use the linksh!t adsl2 modem + a wrt54g router :)

Phildate said:

You can try to find the Speedtouch 585 aka ST585 ...

You can also try out this 3com ...

For more a more expensive alternative you can look out for the Cisco 855 or 877 :sweat: (confirm guarantee plus chop reliable) ...

Klose said:
I use the linksh!t adsl2 modem + a wrt54g router :)

A note of caution - the linksys is NOT fully ADSL2 compliant. There are different types of ADSL 2 for different countries, depending on the service provider. Singtel uses Huawei DSLAMs. Last known to have issues... not sure now ... hence i don't recommend getting it.

dEthANGeL said:
A note of caution - the linksys is NOT fully ADSL2 compliant. There are different types of ADSL 2 for different countries, depending on the service provider. Singtel uses Huawei DSLAMs. Last known to have issues... not sure now ... hence i don't recommend getting it.

Using a flashed firmware. :sweat: Anyway we will never get full speed here so it makes no difference.

haha...im using tat modem...the wireless cmi....drop quite freq...i think i mus b 1 of the few lucky 1...so far no prob wif it...on 24/7...

i'm using this modem too. did a replacement when the modem got fried during a lightning storm through the telephone wire. so far the modem is doing well except the known wireless issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.