Problems when using Flash

C500D

Aug 2, 2009
Newbie needs help when using flash. Dear Seniors I'm using a 50D and when I attached a flash to my cam I get very slow shutter speeds even if I set to f2.8. For example shooting in a room with flash attached on f2.8 I get shutter speeds of 1/60, sometimes even slower. The flash will fire and I get overexpose pics with camera shake blur in the pics. This even happens if I'm on Program Mode. I normally try to shoot in A-Mode but have this problem with slow shutter in P, A and Tv modes

The flash I'm using is the Nissin Di866, set to Auto or TTL is the same. It's as though there is no flash attached but the flash will fire when the shot is taken

What setting should I be looking out for in the camera? I believe its a setting in the camera Thanking you all in advance for your help.

In Canon system A mode or aperture priority mode, the shutter speed would not switch to the proper flash sync speed when the flash is fully charged. It only do it in P mode, maybe Tv mode. There is a custom function to set the speed but I think it would set to 1/250 sec. It is too high. OK for fill-in flash outdoors but too fast for indoors as the background will be very dark by it.

In Canon system, best to go to manual or M mode and set the shutter speed and aperture yourself. Typically 1/60 & f/5.6 for a start. The flash can still be in TTL mode. Call me if you not sure what I meant.

Thank you Sir will take you up on your offer when I have the camera in front of me. People in Clubsnap Rocks!!!!

What frederickykfoo said about the EOS flash system is true - more info here:

http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

But the way you describe the situation, it sounds as if you have a bigger problem -- your camera and flash aren't communicating. Because in P mode, in moderate to low indoor lighting, the flash should be the main source of illumination, with the shutter speed set between 1/60 and your max sync speed.
Possibly a contact issue? Or could be the flash unit itself. Have you tried other units? Or maybe a visual check and cleaning of the contacts.

Hi Edwin,

I was also thinking the same thing but I also have the same problem even with my macro ring flash and both flashes are for Canon and with TTL. I do hope its not a major problem and only have to do with settings.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that with a flash we can get fast shutter speed in low light conditions. Now I have the flash going off when pressing the shuttle button but very slow shutter speed so pics come out blur and over expose.

Are you in Av mode? In Av mode, your flash will function as a fill only, the camera will still meter for the ambient (if it requires 1sec @ f/2.8 to get midtone, for example) and use that exposure then the flash merely adds to existing light.

Please correct me if I'm wrong but I always thought that with a flash we can get fast shutter speed in low light conditions. Now I have the flash going off when pressing the shuttle button but very slow shutter speed so pics come out blur and over expose.

Canon does flash different from other makers. Read the link I provided earlier for in depth info. Essentially, as theveed pointed out, in Av mode, the camera meters for the ambient light and your flash acts as a fill, so you can get very slow shutter speeds in dim lighting. In P mode though, it is a 2-stage thing: when the light levels are high, the metering if for ambient and the flash is a fill again, but in dim lighting, the flash is taken to be the main source of light and the shutter speed kept between 1/60 and max sync speed.

So you should not be getting the slow shutter speeds you are in P mode. Right now it sounds as if your metering is for the ambient light, as if your camera 'doesn't know' your flash is there.

If you've tried 2 flashes and have the same problem, it sounds like a camera problem.

So Edwin if I reading you right for general purpose shooting (without thinking so much) it would be better to shoot in P mode right? Ok will try it out tonite and see what happens. Thank you guys so so very much for all your help........

For me, yes. P generally sets the flash exposure and shutter speed right for 'general purpose' shots. If you want to get creative or are going for a specific effect, there's A, T or M. I don't touch the other modes (Auto, Portrait etc) so I don't know how they behave.

go to your custom setting, set the flash sync to 1/60-1/200 instead of auto. that will allow you to shoot at least 1/60 on Av mode.

otherwise shoot manual mode and play around the F and shutter. for manual, i usually put 1/30 with f4 on my camera and my flash stays at 1/64 or 1/32

Guys thank you so very much for your help, I found your advices really helpful. I now understand a bit more on the use of flash. Yesterday after trying all your advice, the flash works with the camera because set to AUTO the flash adjusts when I turn the zoom. But mostly I get a shutter speed of 1/60. I hope I can hold the camera steady enough not to create camera shake.

Edwin your heads up to the article was really helpful thanks buddy

Dylan thanks bro for those setting will try them out

Guys thank you so very much for your help, I found your advices really helpful. I now understand a bit more on the use of flash. Yesterday after trying all your advice, the flash works with the camera because set to AUTO the flash adjusts when I turn the zoom.

Which means: you smack the flash right into the face of the people and they will look like an elk 1/20s before the car smashes into it ... Because only when the flash is set straight (parallel to lens) this flash zoom works. Please continue reading about diffusing flash to create a nicer and softer illumination of the scene. Topics here: bounce flash, bounce card, flash diffuser. Feed these terms into the Search engine here, happy reading.

Guys thank you so very much for your help, I found your advices really helpful. I now understand a bit more on the use of flash. Yesterday after trying all your advice, the flash works with the camera because set to AUTO the flash adjusts when I turn the zoom. But mostly I get a shutter speed of 1/60. I hope I can hold the camera steady enough not to create camera shake.

Edwin your heads up to the article was really helpful thanks buddy

Dylan thanks bro for those setting will try them out

welcome ;)
i read edwin's link before i got my flash. very detailed link indeed...

enjoy playing with the settings and soon you will be thinking of flash trigger (i am thinking of it ;p)