Problems users faced with digital cameras

Status
Not open for further replies.

mervlam

Apr 26, 2002
Visit site
Hihi guys & gals,

I'm currently on my Engineering, Innovation & Design course where a group of us (2rd yr EEE undergrads) were teamed up together to do a few projects (one or two big ones). Our projects have to be related to implementation of key image processing functions (including color interpolation, color and gamma correction, auto focusing, image compression, and red-eye elimination).

Hence I would like to hear input from you fellow clubsnappers, specifically on problems faced when dealing with image processing.

Thanks in advance!

Originally posted by mervlam
Hihi guys & gals,

I'm currently on my Engineering, Innovation & Design course where a group of us (2rd yr EEE undergrads) were teamed up together to do a few projects (one or two big ones). Our projects have to be related to implementation of key image processing functions (including color interpolation, color and gamma correction, auto focusing, image compression, and red-eye elimination).

Hence I would like to hear input from you fellow clubsnappers, specifically on problems faced when using a digital camera or when dealing with image processing.

Thanks in advance!

Noise generated by CCD during long exposure

Slow reaction after clicking on shutter release. .. about 1/2 sec slow

Most of my time is wasted in colour correction.

Originally posted by sriram
Most of my time is wasted in colour correction.

can you please specific more on this issue?

actually we are currently brainstorming for ideas.

any others??? more heads means more ideas :D

Longer Shutter lag (esp in prosumer cameras)

Lots of precious moments lost

I'm also in the same EID group as mervlam,

Would like to ask you guys what kind of image processing techniques that you guys use which can't be done by batching / automation. For example, red-eye elimination, chromatic abberations elimination etc...

Also, what takes up most of your image processing time? Like colour correction or unsharp mask etc...

We are looking more into software enhancements rather than hardware improvement. Another constraits that we are having is time. We have only 3 weeks to come up with something.

:)

Originally posted by Bean

I'm also in the same EID group as mervlam,

Would like to ask you guys what kind of image processing techniques that you guys use which can't be done by batching / automation. For example, red-eye elimination, chromatic abberations elimination etc...

Also, what takes up most of your image processing time? Like colour correction or unsharp mask etc...

We are looking more into software enhancements rather than hardware improvement. Another constraits that we are having is time. We have only 3 weeks to come up with something.

:)

Greater dynamic range by combining 3 or more images into 1?

Originally posted by Zoomer

Greater dynamic range by combining 3 or more images into 1?

meaning? i mean how do u get greater dynamic range by combining 3 or images together?

Take 3 identical shots, 1st one normal exposure, 2nd one over exposure to highlight the dark area, 3rd one under exposure to highlight the bright area, then merge the 3 shots together using software, so the final image has the details for dark and bright areas. Can this be done by software?

Originally posted by Astin
Take 3 identical shots, 1st one normal exposure, 2nd one over exposure to highlight the dark area, 3rd one under exposure to highlight the bright area, then merge the 3 shots together using software, so the final image has the details for dark and bright areas. Can this be done by software?
It can be done by software manually. Click here for a description on how this can be done in PS 7.0

:) Cheers.

I am not sure if mine counts, how about a software programme like PS 7 that runs very quickly with slower and older PCs (Pentium I and II). I mean, currently one needs a respectable speed to do photo editing, older PCs cannot make it one!

Generally smaller apertures (compared to SLRs), more DOF, thus may impede creative composure (for low DOF).

Hi Bean, great website for info. However, I was suggesting that we could write some software that we can automate the whole process of merging photos together, to increase the dynamic range of the photos.

present problem : to do astrophotography with digital camera, you cannot use long exposure due to noise (the build-in noise reduction in most camera are not good enough)

solution : take many many shots of the same object at short shutter speed, although you cannot see anything in one single frame, but u can stack them up and eventually u will see the stars

however, this is very tedious to do so in photoshop. there are some software to help u in stacking...but may be you all can come out with a even better software, to do sharpening, noise reduction...etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.