Problems on my new Hasselblad 500C/M. Please help!

bimbim1207

Jul 19, 2010
Dear all CSers,

I just got my Hasselblad 500C/M from eBay and this is the first roll I shoot with it.

Though I got into Medium Format for quiet long ago but this roll is really disappointed me and since I'm new to Hassy world, pls advice me if there is any common problems abt Hassy that at least I need to know. I really appreciate your kindly help.

The system looks good and quiet new and it made me more disappointed for the 1st roll.

Some of the photos are really blur, not a sign of hand shake as I shot at a high shutter speed and some with a tripod. However there are some are quiet sharper. I do not know the reason why. Aperture I have used was abt 4 to 8. The lens is Planar CF T* 80 2.8.

The first few pics lost a lower part of it and even the first 2 had light leaking, I though the magazine have some problem, I tried my best to load the film rightly.

I tested the meter of the prism, and it is totally crap. I am so unlucky.

If you can point out any of the problems, can you please also advise me where in SG can fix it? Thank you guys very much !

All the best.

Looks like something wrong with the lens itself - all photos are blur in bottom-left corner and most of the bottom. As shutter in the lens, inaccurate speeds could make an impression that prism metering is wrong. I'd recommend to bring it to Shriro or other master but if damage to repair is too high or impossible to fix, send it back

Have a look from viewfinder if it focus correctly top and bottom is clear and sharp, then most likely your film/magazine is out.
Remove your film back place a pc of matt foil/glass and double check to see the focus in order.
(use a pc of black or any cloth to cover your head for easy viewing.

I had similar issues previously, it was crappy shots for a few rolls before i realised one shutter blade has broken off. Have you looked at your shutter blades?

Did the lab scan this or did you scan it yourself?
If it is yourself, are you sure you did the scanning right? Were the films completely laid out flat?
Do you have a friend who is a Hassy user? Or do you know someone who does? Maybe they can help you look at it and make sure everything is in working order.

I also think one of your camera shutter blade might be faulty. Just remove the film mag and see at the rear shutter open and close fully when you fire the shutter button. Otherwise just go to the HUG and the friendly people there to help you out.

Thank you guys very much for your prompt and kindly help. It gave me a lot of ideas.

@Hlop71 & singscott: Can you gave me the address of Shriro or HUG or any other master so I can come to ask for help. Thanks in advance.

@zk-diq: Thanks. I will try.

@Mikeymike & clipper79: I asked my friend to scan it for me, I havent got a chance to check the negatives since he is overseas, just got my scanned files. Actually there is a very tiny bend on top of one of the shutter blade, but when I check I think that would not be a problem because the other shutter blades can cover that tiny area.. though Im not so sure at all.

Best Regards,

Kevin

The small bend is the design of the shuttle blad that will close over the top of others blade.
After some close look of your scan, I think most likely is scanning problem. ( out focus , film did not hold flat)

I suggest taking a good look at your negatives before getting panic over nothing ;)
I have a feeling your negatives are fine. Just that the scanning process is not done properly. Also which scanner is used in doing this? It will be great if you can let us know. Hopefully we can help you better here.

Few things:

1. The blurred area could be due to scanning like Zk said, it being not flat. But it seems to be consistent, so I think it's the film back. The film when loaded is not properly tensed and hence the film plane is not flat. I think it's the film back more than the scanning because of no.2

2. The light leak is most definitely due to the film back, most probably the mylar seals are old and not tight enough. Just CLA the back and test again.

3. Get rid of the meter, use a handheld :)

excelsius said:
Few things:

1. The blurred area could be due to scanning like Zk said, it being not flat. But it seems to be consistent, so I think it's the film back. The film when loaded is not properly tensed and hence the film plane is not flat. I think it's the film back more than the scanning because of no.2

2. The light leak is most definitely due to the film back, most probably the mylar seals are old and not tight enough. Just CLA the back and test again.

3. Get rid of the meter, use a handheld :)

It could be a blur due to film back but I have similar problem when my old 50 mm C T* took a fall and front element wasn't straight

Agree about light leak

Hassy metered prism is quite good, I'm using PME90, and as long as the one is aware of specific of center-weighted metering, it quite precise tool

Shriro - http://www.shriro.com.sg/ and it is the base of Hasselblad Users Group (HUG)