Problems of pictures with bright sky...

wallacetham

May 13, 2009
Singapore, Singapore, Singapor
Hi,

Anyone know how to set our camera when taking pictures involve bright sky and landscape?

Normally:

- if the sky is well exposed, the landscape will be slightly underexposed.
- if the landscape is well exposed, the sky will be over exposed, cant see the cloud anymore.

In this case, what metering mode to use, and which object to meter?

Need help.

I am trying to get the picture with the combination of 2 picture below. (both landscape and sky well exposed)

Image00052.jpg

Image00050.jpg

Last edited:
it is not because of metering mode you use, it is because that is the limitation of sensor, research "camera dynamic range" to learn more.

there are 2 things that you can try:
1. compress the dynamic range by HDR
2. choose another time where the dynamic range of the scene falls within the sensor's limit. i.e. dawn or dusk.

There are a few ways to do it...

1. Take multiple shots and manually blend it with photoshop.
2. Take multiple shots and use a HDR program to put them together.
3. Use a GND filter.

I feel using a filter is the most hassle free-approach if you are not accustomed to PP... if not, then got to sacrifice either the ends of the range...;p

GND (graduated neutral density) filter is usually the way to go if you wanna adjust it physically. Take note that there are GNDs that block out different amounts of light, so see which one you need before buying.

If not, digital adjustments is blending in PS. :D

oic, i thought i am the only one who facing this problem, and thinking if i am still not familiar with the parameters.

But using GND has some limitation also, what if you have a picture, the bright sky is at the middle (refer to the image below):

Image00018.jpg

GND filter will block out the upper part of the tree as well, so in this case only PP can help?

Yeah, glad someone bring this out.

I also got problem especially when the sky is bright. It either one or the other. Hard to have both properly exposed.

I usually played around with the shutter speed to try to bring out their best.

But how do you lit up those light in those doors & the statue ?

dsc53617357201.jpg

I doubt there isn't any DSLR that can be so perfect than our eyes. And so I always get thing done correctly using photoshop.

I feel that higher exposure do bring out more detail but try not to over doing it.

dsc54008035524.jpg

dsc53998006449.jpg

Please correct me if I am wrong. :think:

i am using a 400d and my results are as good as TS. So i usually do pp.........including TS photo.:devil:

Image00052.jpg

Because of this reason, I have begun to prefer only to shoot just after dawn or before dusk. In between, only when indoors or outdoors with full light.

TS, hope you find your solution!

Cheers!

There are a few ways to do it...

1. Take multiple shots and manually blend it with photoshop.
2. Take multiple shots and use a HDR program to put them together.
3. Use a GND filter.

best answer.

Could be my monitor. i see two different color tone from a lcd and a crt monitor. Sadly i am using a crt monitor.

Many experience this problem too , you're not the only one .

timing is important, i have difficulty to take landspcape picture in around 2PM-5PM

Learn to watch the angle and the intensity of the light. Sky needs to be a rich blue to achieve the required result.

DSC00002.jpg

Last edited:
Learn to watch the angle and the intensity of the light. Sky needs to be a nice blue too to achieve a nice landscape.

DSC00002.jpg

what is your lens and settings? shutter speed, aperture, etc?
what time?

what is your lens and settings? shutter speed, aperture, etc?
what time?

Close to noon and slightly cloudy. Look at the slightly fuzzy shadows and how they don't extend outwards to tell.

The other questions are irrelevant. There are many ways to get the right exposure. You need to figure out your favorite method.

Camera: Sony H5

Lens: Carl Zeiss

Aperture: F4.5

Speed: 1/250 sec

ISO: 125

Time: 12:55pm

Camera: Sony H5

Lens: Carl Zeiss

Aperture: F4.5

Speed: 1/250 sec

ISO: 125

Time: 12:55pm

I've heard from many people that dawn , dusk , and 12pm is the best time to shoot a scenic shot . So maybe , the rumour has now been confirmed .