Problem with Oly charger

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

sneezybum

After charging my batteries for the 1st time for 4 hours as stated, the subsequent two charges only require about 2 hrs before the red LED went off. Anybody encountered this b4? I know that batteries need to charge a few times to reach their full capacity. Is it bcos of this?:confused:

Originally posted by sneezybum
After charging my batteries for the 1st time for 4 hours as stated, the subsequent two charges only require about 2 hrs before the red LED went off. Anybody encountered this b4? I know that batteries need to charge a few times to reach their full capacity. Is it bcos of this?:confused:

Most batt has that 'memory effect'...will need a few more charges to reach full cap.

are the batteries fully discharge before you charge them a 2nd time? if not, they will definitely need less than 4 hours to be fully charged. The charger has a built-in circuit to prevent overcharging.

Originally posted by Jayan

Most batt has that 'memory effect'...will need a few more charges to reach full cap.

don't think "memory effect" is the reason why batteries need a few recharge cycles to reach their full potential.

How do you discharge the batteries? After the camera went dead on me, I just take out the batteries and put it into the charger. Another thing, the batteries get very hot after charging.

long time not here liao... busy... hahaha

anyway, as far as I know, NiCD should NOT have memory effect. only NiMH have.

for NiCD, if battery is not fully drained, and using a NiCD 'complient' charger, then it'll take less time to charge fully.

however, for NiMH, on a NiMH charger, it'll take less time to be fully charged also... just that one will notice slightly less 'power time'.

of cos, in both case, one will notice decrease in 'usage time' after some time. also note that both NiCD and NiMH require different chargers...

just something i found out while hunting for rechargable batteries... :)

Originally posted by sneezybum
How do you discharge the batteries? After the camera went dead on me, I just take out the batteries and put it into the charger. Another thing, the batteries get very hot after charging.

its normal for batts to get hot after charging.

for NiCD, its safe to leave batts in charger if they have this 'Tickle charge' function. (usually all NiCD chargers have this)

but for NiMH, its best to remove once fully charged.

Originally posted by minitaz
long time not here liao... busy... hahaha

anyway, as far as I know, NiCD should NOT have memory effect. only NiMH have.

I'm pretty sure you got it mixed up. Let me find an article....

here's one
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

NiCd (nickel-cadmium aka Nicad) batteries were the first rechargeable batteries that most of us ever came into contact with. They were good in their time but as most of us with cellphones and cordless phones know -- they do build up a memory effect when frequently charged before the cells have been completely discharged. This means a shorter and shorter cycle life between charges until they hold almost no charge at all.

Originally posted by mpenza

I'm pretty sure you got it mixed up. Let me find an article....

here's one
http://www.steves-digicams.com/nimh_batteries.html

NiCd (nickel-cadmium aka Nicad) batteries were the first rechargeable batteries that most of us ever came into contact with. They were good in their time but as most of us with cellphones and cordless phones know -- they do build up a memory effect when frequently charged before the cells have been completely discharged. This means a shorter and shorter cycle life between charges until they hold almost no charge at all.

:embrass: sorry for the mistake

Status
Not open for further replies.