Problem with my BH...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rubber_Duck

May 26, 2004
nippon
www.flickr.com
Hi all,

I have a question, been using my 488R2 BH to use it to shot macro.
The problem is while I adjust the subject and wanted to lock my BG.
once I lock it the aligment is out for abt 1mm something like that...
So I have to release again and adjust again.
Now I have to so call adjust subject by 1mm above once I lock it the at the point I wanted too.....

I dont think I didnt fully lock it...
But since like is fully locked and yet still able to move dowward.

anyonce facing this problem as me too???

And that really PISS me off...!!!!!

Err ... for such precision macro work, normally use a locked super-steady pan-head and a set of macro-focusing rails. Look around for used oldies on e-bay for the rails. OR, just use a super steady no frills 3-way pan head. Ballheads were generally designed for speed and convenience, not the last word in precision.

P.S. Some of the older, bulky (but cheap!) Manfrotto 3-way heads like the 141 IIRC was quite solid but if yr using rails, yu might need something bigger. I've seen used 141s go for as low as $50 here in CS.

Last edited:
even markins or arcaswiss will have such problem?

Personally I think maybe it can be cuz from the camera. try to adjust your camera using the base of the cams rather then the lens. Not sure if it help, no harm trying. btw, r u using grip?

Last edited:
At high magnification, and if I gather correctly, where 1mm means a world of difference, the TS is working at larger than life-sized magnifications, yes, it matters that one chooses the most appropriate tool for the job.

That's why larger, much more stable platforms and macro-focusing rails were designed.

Ballheads were designed primarily for speed and convenience, so you know straight-off where the emphasis will be, despite marketing claims.

Err ... for such precision macro work, normally use a locked super-steady pan-head and a set of macro-focusing rails. Look around for used oldies on e-bay for the rails. OR, just use a super steady no frills 3-way pan head. Ballheads were generally designed for speed and convenience, not the last word in precision.

P.S. Some of the older, bulky (but cheap!) Manfrotto 3-way heads like the 141 IIRC was quite solid but if yr using rails, yu might need something bigger. I've seen used 141s go for as low as $50 here in CS.

best is use gear head with macro focusing rails if you need precision... for studio macro work whereby the subject is stationary.

but for outdoor macro... thats another story altogether. basically you have to be fast. setting up tripod, adjust, the insect fly off already... unless shooting flowers.

best is use gear head with macro focusing rails if you need precision... for studio macro work whereby the subject is stationary.

but for outdoor macro... thats another story altogether. basically you have to be fast. setting up tripod, adjust, the insect fly off already... unless shooting flowers.

Shooting on-the fly macro is an entirely different ball-game leh.

Dedicated 'action' macro hooters are now turning to lasers.

Here, this is where I believe started it all: http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/64246714

Look through the galleries, the inventor seems to carry and use the set-up quite easily.

even markins or arcaswiss will have such problem?

Personally I think maybe it can be cuz from the camera. try to adjust your camera using the base of the cams rather then the lens. Not sure if it help, no harm trying. btw, r u using grip?

I dont know abt other BH maker.

Yes, I have BG attached on the BH...
I dont know is that the main cause or not.]
Tonight shall remove the BG and try in again...

Shooting on-the fly macro is an entirely different ball-game leh.

Dedicated 'action' macro hooters are now turning to lasers.

Here, this is where I believe started it all: http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/64246714

Look through the galleries, the inventor seems to carry and use the set-up quite easily.

WOW..!!!:eek:
OMG..!!!

is a Very impressive set-up

That is too much liao..!!!

That looks like it's going to eventually evolve into something that declares war on humans :)

Anyway, to Rubber Duck, I have the same head and same problem. I learn to compensate for that initial droop. A gear head is available from Manfrotto, but it costs much more and is not available for RC2 QR. Speaking of the QR, there's been some speculation on the web that the RC2 QR is a big part of the problem. Some people have replaced it with a Arca Swiss clamp, but personally I think I'll get a new BH before doing that.

WOW..!!!:eek:
OMG..!!!

is a Very impressive set-up

That is too much liao..!!!

Hehehe, I know, but did you know that there are macro shooters already using some sort of simplified laser set-ups?

Anyway, when in actual use, it looks so small and not scary at all ... and bear in mind the age of the inventor/user: http://www.pbase.com/fotoopa/image/96689951

After checking and mounted and dismounted my camera with BG and w/o BG..
The shift is still there....

And feel is cause by the Lens weight pulling my 450D downward....
due to the weight of the lens.....may be that the reason why is shifted downward abit....

Now I think I should mount my lens with a TRIPOD MOUNT RING instead of mounted on the body.

Anyone feel is may work or not by adding a TRIPOD MOUNT RING and mounted on the tripod???

Please advice..!!!

3rd party ring for 100 mm is quite cheap. Battery grip raises the CG of the camera and makes the bH have to support more. Like my gorillapod isn't that steady with 488 and battery grip.

Anyone feel is may work or not by adding a TRIPOD MOUNT RING and mounted on the tripod???

It should balance it some more, but check for play on the RC2. I find that it helps a little if I wriggle the camera a little after immediately attaching the RC2.

Found a thread on FM about the creep:

http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/623997/0

Anyway is the CG of the camera and lens.
So I had confirm is due to the CG is actually at the lens not on the camera body. So I got a tripod mount ring and mounted onto my lens and the problem is solve...!!

Anyway thank you guys..!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.