problem with M mode in 450D

Status
Not open for further replies.

xdw3irdxd

Dec 2, 2009
for the M mode...
shutter speed, aperture, exposure...
i only can adjust shutter speed and aperture...
may i know how to adjust exposure?
because the exposure is adjusted by the camera itself..my picture always come out with dark...
why?

In M mode, you have total control of the three parameters: aperture, shutter speed and ISO. The camera does not adjust your exposure, xdw3irdxd. Not at all. Not in M mode.
Your final exposure will be the end result of the combination.
So if it turns out dark, one or more of the parameters is not correct.

for the M mode...
because the exposure is adjusted by the camera itself..my picture always come out with dark...
why?

did u mean exposure compensation? That function is disabled in M mode.

ok thanks...
actually im not familiar with dslr camera...
especially the shutter speed...
once i turn to Tv mode...i adjust the shutter speed...
no matter wat speed i adjust,the picture always come out with dark...
only with flash attached,then only the picture is clear...
the reason i dont wan to use flash is that it will cause somewhere dark...
do u guys have any opinion to me?

Haha... aiyoh, xdw3irdxd...
Start somewhere near someone who has more experience in DSLR.
Shoot together with her (him). Then ask all the questions you need on the spot for some practical tips.
Otherwise (allow me to say this, xdw3irdxd), from asking all these questions only on the forum, you may not gain as much.
Don't be offended. Looks as though you need some practical help there... haha...

I suggest reading your manual carefully, and reading up on the basics of exposure. This can be found all over the web and in good books in the library. Join outings with others and ask if there are problems.

If you know nuts about DSLR, don't jump right into M mode until you know how to read the light meter.

Haha... aiyoh, xdw3irdxd...
Start somewhere near someone who has more experience in DSLR.
Shoot together with her (him). Then ask all the questions you need on the spot for some practical tips.
Otherwise (allow me to say this, xdw3irdxd), from asking all these questions only on the forum, you may not gain as much.
Don't be offended. Looks as though you need some practical help there... haha...

haha...i hope so...but my frds who have used dslr all in malaysia...difficult to discuss...=.=...

Simple.
Quickly click onto this thread that is currently going on:
Relax shoot in CBD!!
On that day, a few experienced CS members will be there to guide newbies.
Quickly put your name on it and read, read, and read like crazy before the gathering so that you will benefit fully.

haha...i hope so...but my frds who have used dslr all in malaysia...difficult to discuss...=.=...

Borrow and read books from library. "Understanding Exposure" by Bryan Peterson is a popular choice. This should give you the basic theory. After that, read the manual and then experiment. That's what i did.
:)

If you don't mind my limited knowledge and happen to be Bishan ~ Toa Payoh area, i can share some DSLR information with you.

PS: I am no pro.
PS (again): Max 1 hour. PM me when you free.

Cheers

i just bougth my DSLR

and i have the same issue with the TS

in manual mode... the exposure compensation adjustment are in a "range" .. they can't be adjusted by the 4 direction buttons (up, down, left , right).. but it appears to be adjustable by the dial... when i rotate the dial it goes off +and- 0.5 , + and minus 1.. and so on... i don't know what this means at all.....

another thing is... under this mode when i pop up my in-camera flash... the flash will flash 3 times in rapid succession before the actual one
(my red eye reduction is off)

any gurus here can help me please?
i have no problem with adjusting exposures with other modes though... just that i wishes to learn manual....

i just bougth my DSLR

and i have the same issue with the TS

in manual mode... the exposure compensation adjustment are in a "range" .. they can't be adjusted by the 4 direction buttons (up, down, left , right).. but it appears to be adjustable by the dial... when i rotate the dial it goes off +and- 0.5 , + and minus 1.. and so on... i don't know what this means at all.....

another thing is... under this mode when i pop up my in-camera flash... the flash will flash 3 times in rapid succession before the actual one
(my red eye reduction is off)

any gurus here can help me please?
i have no problem with adjusting exposures with other modes though... just that i wishes to learn manual....

When using Canon camera in the M mode, rolling the main dial on the top side of the camera just behind the shutter button will result in shutter speed changes. This of course will correspond to over- or under-exposure which can be visually seen on the LCD screen as -1/3, -2/3, -1 and +1/3, +2/3 and +1 respectively.
Go ahead, read your manual. If you are new to DSLR, I can understand that this may take a little bit of time to digest. But put in your hard work. Shoot with an experienced friend. Soon you will get it.

What I do in manual mode is that I would adjust the aperture to the biggest, then try adjusting my shutter speed to have different exposures. But when the amount of light is still not enough(like negative 1 or 2), I would try to adjust the ISO. If ISO is still not enough to compensate, I would use the flash.

Or if you still can't get a hang of it, use the priority modes first. :)

When using Canon camera in the M mode, rolling the main dial on the top side of the camera just behind the shutter button will result in shutter speed changes. This of course will correspond to over- or under-exposure which can be visually seen on the LCD screen as -1/3, -2/3, -1 and +1/3, +2/3 and +1 respectively.
Go ahead, read your manual. If you are new to DSLR, I can understand that this may take a little bit of time to digest. But put in your hard work. Shoot with an experienced friend. Soon you will get it.

i get what you mean already

actually i read the manual more than 5 times...
but the section in which it describes didn't explain to me that exposure COMPENSATION is disabled in manual mode as expose is set by the users thru shutter speed, ISO speed and aperture... i didn't get that in other modes the exposure compensation is a compensation mechanism until you described it to me

now i just needa figure out why the flash behaves so oddly

and i truthfully and sincerely thank you for that
i just got my camera hours ago.. so i am abit excited
really thank you :):)

Last edited:
the flash flash 3 times could be due to the camera trying to achieve focus.... haha..

just my newbie $0.02

the flash flash 3 times could be due to the camera trying to achieve focus.... haha..

just my newbie $0.02

hmmm really? can anyone verify this? :embrass:
that means there isn't enough light

Nope. Not that there is not sufficient lighting.
It's just pre-flashes to assist AF.
Let it be. It's just part of life.

for the M mode...
why?

if your picture comes out dark while shooting in M mode, try one (or both) of the following;

1. reduce shutter speed, e.g. from 1/125 s to 1/60 s.

2. reduce aperture value (i.e. increasing aperture size), e.g from f8 to f5.6.

this should let in more light into your camera and enable you to get the right exposure for your photo.

ok thanks...
actually im not familiar with dslr camera...
especially the shutter speed...
once i turn to Tv mode...i adjust the shutter speed...
no matter wat speed i adjust,the picture always come out with dark...
only with flash attached,then only the picture is clear...
the reason i dont wan to use flash is that it will cause somewhere dark...
do u guys have any opinion to me?

do you have this problem in bright lighting or in low lighting?

Status
Not open for further replies.