Problem with lens hood!

Status
Not open for further replies.

jed091270

Dec 20, 2009
Bishan
I always got this problem using a 3rd lens hood on my 18-55mm lens. It blocks the the corners of my photos taken. Is this a usual problem on lens hoods?

It's a problem of using the wrong lens hood. Please note that lens hoods are differently shaped - depending on the lens. Use one that is suitable for the focal length of your lens. Which lens hood are you using?

its the petal type. Ususally the problem occurs when I zoom in on a subject.

its the petal type. Ususally the problem occurs when I zoom in on a subject.

you can't use petal hoods on the 18-55. This lens has turning front lens element so your petal hood will get turned together during AF. There is a reason why the OEM hood is round instead of petal. :)

Either you get a proper hood or try to turn back the petal hood after you acquire focus lock.

Thanks so much. I will heed your advice.

For the kit lens, the hood is usually a round one, and is rather shallow, about 1cm deep only. This is to avoid vignetting at the wide-angle end. If you can do without a lens hood, would be better, unless the situation calls for it.

There are rubber lens hoods (Hoya) that you screw on the filter thread. They are expandable so that you can adjust the length according your focal length.

Just take note. EW hoods are petal hoods and ET hoods are round hoods. The W stands for wide angle/UWA (focal length < 50mm) and T stands for telephoto (focal length > 50mm). Check online which hood better suits your lens type. Like when I first bought my 100mm macro, i told the retailer i am looking for petal hood, and they recommended me round hoods for the above reason. does your hood state whether it is EW or ET?

Just take note. EW hoods are petal hoods and ET hoods are round hoods. The W stands for wide angle/UWA (focal length < 50mm) and T stands for telephoto (focal length > 50mm). Check online which hood better suits your lens type. Like when I first bought my 100mm macro, i told the retailer i am looking for petal hood, and they recommended me round hoods for the above reason. does your hood state whether it is EW or ET?

Sorry bro I have to correct you: EW is for wide-angle lens and ET is for telephoto; you're correct on that but those acronyms do not represent petal or round hoods. The hoods for 70-200 f/2.8 are petal hoods and they are ET-83 and ET-86 respectively.

Most of the time Canon lens use round hoods because of their turning front lens element. Not sure why most telephoto has round hood but I read somewhere that the round hoods are meant for photographers to rest their lens on flat surface, with the lens mount facing upwards; something like this:
Canon-500mm-IS-Lens.jpg

By the way TS already said he bought a 3rd party petal hood. :bsmilie:

Status
Not open for further replies.