Problem with flim\camera or both?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Necroist

Jan 27, 2002
www.ragingbox.com
Hey all,

Finally got my second working roll of flim developed and printed. But there seem to be a major problem.

Firstly, I'm using a Minolta X-700 camera with the frame counter broken (it won't work) so I wouldn't know the exact number of exposures shot.

Now, I took a roll of flim recently to the botanic gardens for some shot but it seems like after getting it developed and printed at colour labs (adelphi). The index they gave me only shows 10 photos. with about 3 of them with black patches on the left (they won't printed anyhow).

The funny thing is that the number goes like blank, 0a, 1a, 4a, 5a, 6a, 11a, 31a, 35a, 37.

What does this mean? Does this mean that I've actually managed to use up to the full 36 exposures because it ends at 37?

Then what could have happened to the frames between.

I'm considering whether is me not loading or the advance lever not working properly cos, At the last few exposures (I think), I could push the advance lever and still shoot unlimitedly but it needs me some force to force the lever though. Does it mean my flim ended too?

Sorry if this is too much questions to digest hehe. I hope you guys can help me troubleshoot.

Maybe you can load and shoot a roll of cheap print film, i.e. Kodak Max and then send it for develop only (cheaper that way). If the problem persists, then probably it got nothing to do with film.

Originally posted by Necroist
Hey all,
Firstly, I'm using a Minolta X-700 camera with the frame counter broken (it won't work) so I wouldn't know the exact number of exposures shot.

A suggestion - use a notebook or pad and pen to record each frame you take. Simple, takes no time and gives you a definate answer to how many shots you've made.

The funny thing is that the number goes like blank, 0a, 1a, 4a, 5a, 6a, 11a, 31a, 35a, 37.

What does this mean? Does this mean that I've actually managed to use up to the full 36 exposures because it ends at 37?
Film is numbered like this 1, 1A, 2, 2A and so on. The numbers are more to do with identifying the frame rather than counting the exact frame number as different cameras will start the film at different places though around the same general location on the film.
There are some variations from film type to film type, though generally it's 00 at the start though sometimes you'll see A00 or similar at the start.
Then what could have happened to the frames between.
Your camera may be suffereing from excessive film wind between exposures (see below for a simple test)
I'm considering whether is me not loading or the advance lever not working properly cos, At the last few exposures (I think), I could push the advance lever and still shoot unlimitedly but it needs me some force to force the lever though. Does it mean my flim ended too?
Yes it implies your film was at an end!

If it becomes difficult to move the lever then the film has run out!

How to test if your camera wind-on is working correctly with a manual camera.

Get the cheapest 24 or 36 exposure film you can buy, brand is NOT important as it's going to be sacrificed to test the camera.

Get a felt marker pen with a medium tip.

Method

Step 1: Put film in back of camera and where the film comes out of the film cannister mark the film across the back with the felt pen

Step 2: Advance film one frame and press shutter.
Step 3: Mark film where it exits the cannister. Don't apply much pressure while marking the film.
NEVER mark the film anywhere near the shutter as shutters are fragile and can be damaged.

Repeat steps 2 & 3 until film lever becomes hard t move or until you see film is no longer moving with lever advancement.

Step 4: rewind the film until it's almost in the cannister .. leave whatever is free when the film leaves the takeup spool loose

Step 5: pull film from cannister and look at the felt tip lines ... they should be even and about one per 37-38mm of film for the entire length of the film from the first to last line.

Step 6: If the lines are evenly spaced your film advance system is working fine, if they aren't even then the camera has problems and should be taken to a service centre.

Oh the film is now a write off, but it's a cheap test and a reliable one.

Originally posted by Ian

A suggestion - use a notebook or pad and pen to record each frame you take. Simple, takes no time and gives you a definate answer to how many shots you've made.

Film is numbered like this 1, 1A, 2, 2A and so on. The numbers are more to do with identifying the frame rather than counting the exact frame number as different cameras will start the film at different places though around the same general location on the film.
There are some variations from film type to film type, though generally it's 00 at the start though sometimes you'll see A00 or similar at the start.

Your camera may be suffereing from excessive film wind between exposures (see below for a simple test)

Yes it implies your film was at an end!

If it becomes difficult to move the lever then the film has run out!

How to test if your camera wind-on is working correctly with a manual camera.

Get the cheapest 24 or 36 exposure film you can buy, brand is NOT important as it's going to be sacrificed to test the camera.

Get a felt marker pen with a medium tip.

Method

Step 1: Put film in back of camera and where the film comes out of the film cannister mark the film across the back with the felt pen

Step 2: Advance film one frame and press shutter.
Step 3: Mark film where it exits the cannister. Don't apply much pressure while marking the film.
NEVER mark the film anywhere near the shutter as shutters are fragile and can be damaged.

Repeat steps 2 & 3 until film lever becomes hard t move or until you see film is no longer moving with lever advancement.

Step 4: rewind the film until it's almost in the cannister .. leave whatever is free when the film leaves the takeup spool loose

Step 5: pull film from cannister and look at the felt tip lines ... they should be even and about one per 37-38mm of film for the entire length of the film from the first to last line.

Step 6: If the lines are evenly spaced your film advance system is working fine, if they aren't even then the camera has problems and should be taken to a service centre.

Oh the film is now a write off, but it's a cheap test and a reliable one.

Things you can then do with that roll of film:

1. Pass on to a newbie to practice loading a manual camera. Leicas are not so easy to load, so practice before thinking of getting one as well. :devil:

2. Use it to demo your cool new film picker to other people.

3. Use it to scare your friends. When they pass you a roll of film, quickly swap to this, then pull it out of the canister in front of them, saying "I don't see any pictures here, you sure you exposed it correctly?" Works best if you work for a minilab/camera store, etc. :D

Regards
CK

ok did the markings, they are evenly spaced.

but i noticed that I have to push and pull and push and pull the advance lever before it will lock and allow me to press the shutter.

ok did the markings, they are evenly spaced.

but i noticed that I have to push and pull and push and pull the advance lever before it will lock and allow me to press the shutter.

This sounds encouraging. Go shoot a test roll and let me know the results :)

You're welcome, please let me know how the results turn out via this thread.

Ian

Status
Not open for further replies.