Problem with cropping during development

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vynara

Feb 6, 2004
Singapore, Holland Village
I usually crop my pictures to the point of "just right", so I get realllllllllllly distressed to know that when I send my digital prints for developing, my prints will get cropped! Does anyone know how to get around this problem? Thanks in advance darlings!

Is the aspect ratio for your images different from the actual prints?

uh... i have no idea actually :sweat: i shot 2272x1704 but the lady said "too big, too big".... and thus some of my prints came up all chopped up :confused: :cry:

btw I usually develop 4R... I checked on Kodak.com that the min. resolution for 4R is 1024*768... hmmm.. does that mean anything? *blinks*

Vynara said:
uh... i have no idea actually :sweat: i shot 2272x1704 but the lady said "too big, too big".... and thus some of my prints came up all chopped up :confused: :cry:

btw I usually develop 4R... I checked on Kodak.com that the min. resolution for 4R is 1024*768... hmmm.. does that mean anything? *blinks*

Hi Vynara.. ok correct me if I'm wrong, but 2272/1704 is 4/3? That is to say that your aspect ration is 4:3.

Normally a 4R is 6 inches by 4 inches . Which is of aspect ratio 3:2... this is why you get your photos chopped.. cos if you try to fit a 4:3 into 3:2, theres bound to be some cropping since for the same 6 inches in width, the 4:3 will require 4.5 inches in height (assuming youre shooting landscape)

Hmm.. ok i realise that i have not been exactly clear in explanation. Haha... lao jiao help pls?

Yep HOWEVER i think this has been mentioned in some other forum, but there is a special size for the 4:3 aspect ratio. For e.g in 8R, normal 8R is in 3:2 aspect ratio, but S8R (super 8R) is 4:3 aspect ratio.I think there's an equivalent for 4R too. At least i know at Grace Photo which i go to at Sunset they have the size.

Alternatively, you can just tell them to develop it so that it fits into the normal 4R print. However, you will find that you get black vignetting...

Last alternative, of course, is to crop your image so it fits into a 3:2. This is of course, at the expense of your perspective and background.

So i suppose its all what you have in the photo :dunno:

Hope this helps ;)

Vynara said:

Here are the pixel size for Frontier machines

4R : 1818pixels x 1228pixels
6R : 1818pixels x 2421pixels
8R : 2421pixels x 3023pixels

Here is the formula

Number of pixels = ((print size + 2mm)/ 25.4mm)) x 300dpi

Note that even with above sizes image will be cropped on all four sides by 1mm (each side).

1024 x 768 has a ration of 4:3. while 4R paper size has a ration of 2:3 (4inch x 6 inch) . There are two choice

1. Fill In : image will be cropped top & bottom
2. Fit In : whole image will be visible but with two vertical while spaces along 4inch side.

sanver

Sanver said:

Here is the formula

Number of pixels = ((print size + 2mm)/ 25.4mm)) x 300dpi

sanver

Sorry, not sure I understand... print size refers to the cropped image that we have to give the lab?

Err... and why must divide by 25.4mm?

Apologies, noob in the house :sweat:

:bigeyes::bigeyes::bigeyes:

ok.. let's see. i can resize my prints with photoshop that's no problem for me... so.. erm... if i do, what shld i input for height, width and resolution?

Photoshop has a crop tool. You can state the length x breadth. So stating 6" x 4" gives 4R.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Madmax said:
Photoshop has a crop tool. You can state the length x breadth. So stating 6" x 4" gives 4R.

Someone correct me if I am wrong.

Concurred. This should be the easier way of doing things. An additional pt to note will be the resolutionsetting. The min will be 150 if you intend to send for online print

drummercow said:
Sorry, not sure I understand... print size refers to the cropped image that we have to give the lab?

Err... and why must divide by 25.4mm?

Apologies, noob in the house :sweat:

Formula takes length or width (in mm) of the final print output and adds 2 mm to it (length or width) and then divide by 25.4 to convert it in to inch (1 inch has 25.4mm) and then multiply by 300dpi (this is the print resolution of frontier) to give you number of pixels for desired length or width of the print to be printed @ 300dpi on frontier.

In short if you crop your images such that it has 1818 x 1228 pixels, you will get 4R size (highest quality possible on frontier) with 1mm cropped all sides.

hope it helps...

sanver

Sanver said:

4R : 1818pixels x 1228pixels
6R : 1818pixels x 2421pixels
8R : 2421pixels x 3023pixels
Crop using Sanver's settings provided. That's as close to the best you can get. Of course if you want to go your own route, that's your choice too. But 6x4x300dpi (1800x1200) will leave a little white lining...

There is no "just right" formula. What works for a Frontier may not necessarily work when you send to a Kodak (Noritsu) lab or a Konica lab. Find a lab that you are comfy with and get to know their settings and stay that way. Easier and less painful.

Just remember that perfectionist or no, the world is still not perfect. ;)

thanks to all who helped... i found the crop tool in photoshop, it's really easy so i'm trying that out for now.. thanks thanks thanks a lot! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.