Problem with color

Status
Not open for further replies.

mismis

Feb 20, 2008
Can anyone help me with my color problems?

This is currently my workflow,

I open my raw file in CS 3, my color settings are as follows

I do all the editing in RGB 1998 settings, I then resize, sharpen, and convert profile to
sRGB IEC 61966-2.1

I then save file as a jpeg. When I do this, the jpeg file looks identical to the image I was editing in photoshop, however, once I upload it onto the web(Imageshack/flickr), there is quite a significant loss in color. For example, The image on the left has been uploaded onto the web, the image on the right was from preview.

Does anyone know what is wrong?

Saved file information:

Color space: RGB
Profile name: sRGB IEC 61966-2.1

Im running a mac and my internet browser is firefox

color misery.. im facing the same problem too :(
oh well...............................HELP ME TOO!!

Saving for the web dosent seem to help either.

Actually I think I just discovered the problem.

Most web browsers like firefox do not use color management.
Safari(mac) does.

Firefox is on the left
The true jpeg file is in the middle
Safari is on the right.

I just dont know how to get around it. A way to save the file such that its uniform across browsers that use color management and those that dont?

I seem to have encountered the exact same problem when I was running CS 3 on Windows last month. Unfortunately I don't have access to that system now and can't test. I recall having to open the image in ACR as sRGB for it to display correctly in Firefox - opening as Adobe RGB, then convert to profile sRGB didn't work.

I just tried in CS 2 and "Convert to Profile..." works correctly.

Hopefully someone can shed light on this.

I just tried in CS 2 and "Convert to Profile..." works correctly.

Ive never used CS 2, so editing in RGB then converting to sRGB solves the problem in CS2 but not in CS3?

Ive never used CS 2, so editing in RGB then converting to sRGB solves the problem in CS2 but not in CS3?

Can't confirm that problem exists in CS3 - it's what I remember, but I was not specifically looking for the problem then.

In CS2 it appears to work. My exact steps:

1. Open RAW file, select Adobe RGB profile.

2. In CS2, select "Save As", save "test_argb.jpg"

3. Back in CS2, select "Convert to Profile..." and select sRGB as destination.

4. "Save As", save "test_srgb.jpg"

Viewing using Firefox, test_argb has faded colors, test_srgb looks the same as image displayed in Photoshop.

For anyone whos interested. The new version of Firefox 3 is colour managed.

Download that, then do the following:
By default, color management is disabled in Firefox 3. To enable it, just enter about:config in the address bar, promise to be careful to the popping window and type “color_management” in the filter. Change gfx.color_management.enabled to true. This means that Firefox will honor the profiles embedded to the images it displays.

For anyone whos interested. The new version of Firefox 3 is colour managed.

Nice, thanks for the info. Though you still have to use sRGB for the unenlightened who will be running IE.

Is there significant performance penalty when enabling color management in FF3? I'm waiting for the release before installing.

Do you have a monitor profile assigned? :think:

btw, where did you upload to?

does the place u upload to adjust the images? what i know is some gallery actually have resize and color edit feature in them. do check.

besides that, you should load your color profile in your system inside display, same goes to your photoshop. else you might even see different color from your photoshop and your preview from your system before loading up.

besides that, you should load your color profile in your system inside display, same goes to your photoshop. else you might even see different color from your photoshop and your preview from your system before loading up.

TS said imageshack / flickr.

Can you explain the part about color profile? I couldn't quite catch what you mean. Thanks.

I have no problems with saving my file from photoshop. For example, After editing my photo in PS and saving the jpeg onto my computer. The saved image and image I am working on in photoshop are identical.

However, when I uploaded it on Firefox 2, which is not colour managed, I see a change in colour, from what I read, this is inevitable because firefox 2 is not a colour managed application. Whereas a web browser like Safari is, you can see the difference in colour from the fourth post

Picture on the left = Image upload on firefox
Picture in the middle= Actual JPG saved in my computer
Picture on the right = Exact same image uploaded on Safari.

As I said, the new version of Firefox is colour managed, and now the pictures I upload look exactly the same as the files I have. I think the new IE 8 is going to be colour managed as well

btw, where did you upload to?

does the place u upload to adjust the images? what i know is some gallery actually have resize and color edit feature in them. do check.

Actually I'm suspecting that being the problem - when the monitor profile is assigned, the color management is between working color and monitor color, in this case sRGB and monitor RGB. What's missing in the web browser when using sRGB is the monitor color mapping.

I assign sRGB to all my photos

Working space is adobe RGB 1998

No...not to file, to monitor
Do you have a color profile assigned to your monitor in the OS?

Ahh. I see what you mean now.

Im guessing no?

That ColorLCD thing is indeed a profile and I don't think it's sRGB. You can try selecting sRGB (or if it's not there, that Generic RGB may well be it) in the color profile panel, restart PS CS3 and see how things go. I'm guessing this should remove the difference in color.

However, what you're doing now seems fine as a managed workflow. In fact very few people have calibrated monitors (or even a monitor worth calibrating). So even if FF3 and IE8 supports ICC profiles, everybody's still seeing different colors anyway.

TS said imageshack / flickr.

Can you explain the part about color profile? I couldn't quite catch what you mean. Thanks.

normal_lr-prob.jpg

previously i'm having this problem... its the same file but it looks different.

its solved after i put the profile of what i am using into the display properties in xp. you can add it in your mac as well, its in the display.

the OS also need to have the same profile, else whatever you see on the webpages or in your viewer will look different from your edited pictures.

its solved after i put the profile of what i am using into the display properties in xp. you can add it in your mac as well, its in the display.

the OS also need to have the same profile, else whatever you see on the webpages or in your viewer will look different from your edited pictures.

My head hurts (it being 1:30 a.m. here may have something to do with it) but every time I think I understand color management, someone proves me wrong.

When you say "the OS also needs to have the same profile", where is the profile from? My monitor profile (under Display Properties, Settings, Advanced, Color) is the one generated by Spyder 2 Pro and have no relationship to the color space used in my images.

I admit to being a newbie in color management. If it is easier pointing me to a website to read up on it, please do so. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.