problem with bright sunny day

kelviz

Feb 4, 2008
Hi i need advice on the situation whereby i am shooting in a bright sunny day and my setting on the shutter is max 1/4000 and i had F2 aperture and i still cant get in the right exposure. I wish to remind F2 although i can rise the aperture to get the correct exposure. A B+W UV filter was installed and it is liminimizing the amount of ultraviolet (UV) light that reaches the camera but i need something more in order to remain shooting in F2.

By the way i am not shooting landscapes in this settings i was using it for street photography

Any advice? Will ND Filter help?

1. are u shooting at the lowest ISO?
2. a UV filter dose not reduce any light... a ND filter does.

Hi i need advice on the situation whereby i am shooting in a bright sunny day and my setting on the shutter is max 1/4000 and i had F2 aperture and i still cant get in the right exposure. I wish to remind F2 although i can rise the aperture to get the correct exposure. A B+W UV filter was installed and it is liminimizing the amount of ultraviolet (UV) light that reaches the camera but i need something more in order to remain shooting in F2.

By the way i am not shooting landscapes in this settings i was using it for street photography

So you are saying at F2 , 1/4000, camera meter shows that its not the right exposure , but you still want to shoot at F2 ?

If you really want to keep at F2 , You can maybe switch to Aperture priority mode to keep things at F2 and let the camera choose the settings for you. Or you can tweak your shutter speed settings to 1/100 and below instead cos , 1//4000 is really not necessary for street photography ? :dunno:

You said you are not getting the right exposure and I presume you are getting under exposed pictures at 1/4000.

But you also saying you need something to block off more light ( by the way UV filter dont have much use on digital camera, merely acts as a protection for your lens) , so maybe you are getting over exposure pictures. :dunno:

If that is the case ( you are at lowest ISO , and Highest shutter speed) , and you dont want to change your aperture , you will have to use use ND filters

Last edited:
Yes, a ND filter does help... I currently employ a Hoya +4 stop ND filter (screw-in type) for really bright days in order to retain a shallow depth of field at f/2.8. Give them a try and I do believe there are even darker ND filters to help you work in bright conditions.

You camera needs sun glasses (ND filter)

just try not to shoot into the sun..

if you must then you can get creative with silhouettes or using flash to light up ur subject.. sometimes it gives quite a dramatic effect..

you aren't getting exposure right, means you have to give in one of the parameters.. you can't just keep the exposure triangle the same...

If fastest shutter is not enough. Then close the aperture loh.

you cannot have the cake and eat it ...

y you need F2 for? bokeh ah?

y you need F2 for? bokeh ah?

he wants to take at f2 to have shallow DOF...

anyway, bokeh is the quality of the background blur, don't mis-use the termm... later make ppl blur..

he wants to take at f2 to have shallow DOF...

anyway, bokeh is the quality of the background blur, don't mis-use the termm... later make ppl blur..

bokeh can be known as the blur or as you said, the quality of it but i don't really bother about it or the technicalities. Just go and shoot nice pictures can already :)

how much is a ND filter? any different from UV ray Filter? Thank you.

how much is a ND filter? any different from UV ray Filter? Thank you.

ND filter can range from cheap to expensive depending on brand. ND filter is used to limit amount of light entering your lens. UV filter is generally used to reduce reflection and to a certain extent refraction. Google to read more on the topic. :)

UV filter is generally used to reduce reflection and to a certain extent refraction. Google to read more on the topic. :)

Huh! But physics tells me otherwise. Adding any glass (no matter how good the coating used to minimize reflection) will give reflection and refraction.

bokeh can be known as the blur or as you said, the quality of it but i don't really bother about it or the technicalities. Just go and shoot nice pictures can already :)

Nope. It's not the blur.

Nope. It's not the blur.

In photography, bokeh[pronunciation?] is the blur,[1][2] or the aesthetic quality of the blur

statement taken from wikipedia, perhaps you can write in to wikipedia about their wrong statement then :)

Nope. It's not the blur.

thanks Rashkae..

In photography, bokeh[pronunciation?] is the blur,[1][2] or the aesthetic quality of the blur

statement taken from wikipedia, perhaps you can write in to wikipedia about their wrong statement then :)

taken from the dictionary~!! (New Oxford American Dictionary)
bokeh |bōˈkā|
noun Photography
the visual QUALITY of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens : a quick, visual survey of the foreground and background bokeh of a variety of lenses.

maybe you can write in to the dictionary and ask them to change~!!!

thanks Rashkae..

taken from the dictionary~!! (New Oxford American Dictionary)
bokeh |bōˈkā|
noun Photography
the visual QUALITY of the out-of-focus areas of a photographic image, especially as rendered by a particular lens : a quick, visual survey of the foreground and background bokeh of a variety of lenses.

maybe you can write in to the dictionary and ask them to change~!!!

neh, i don't really bother on whether wat it's right or wrong cause i didn't start pointing it's right or wrong mah :)

if not, you can let the dictionary and wikipedia fight it out, totally not my prob and won't give a 5h1t for it

anyway, we are getting seriously OOT :D

Last edited:
Try -5 EV.